Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This movie's awesome.

Also I don't know how to talk about this in film terms or whatever but it does an Unforgiven where it "deconstructs" its era and subverts the archetypes of its genre by just, like, having the characters act how they'd normally act in this type of movie without the sugarcoating. Like if this was made in the time when movies like it were being made much more often I mean like Michael Shannon's character would have been the hero of the film, the Russian agent guy who thinks the creature is an incredible miracle of nature would have been the arrogant mad scientist, etc. And it's not like any of the characters really stray too far from those archetypes.

This movie looks and sounds great too which was a pleasant surprise since I had read it had a very low budget, though looking at it now it was $20 million, still the fish man looks really good and I love the look of the flick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I know it was really jerk-offy, but the creature going into the theater and being completely transfixed by the film playing was pretty dope.

It worked for me, it reminded me of The Abyss, like it came off as the fish man needing several a few more instances of "everything humans do........isn't necessarily dogshit?" moments for him to really get along with her.

That worked both ways too, the scene where she imagines herself being able to sing to him about how much she loves in and the entire scene smoothly turns into a musical number blew me away. Sally Hawkins did an amazing job in not a lot of time of making that the most bittersweet thing ever.

If we look at some of the z-tier fishman movies of history like The Blood Waters of Dr. Z or whatever, we'll see it's not too uncommon for lead to end up with the fish person at the very very end but scenes like that make is so earned in this movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 23, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

To me Shape of Water and Blade II are his best.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If Marvel was good they'd have Del Toro direct a Blade III. Like literally just call the movie Blade III instead of Blade Trinity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Cronos is my fave.

This flick rules and I stupidly always forget it exists, everyone in this thread should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

warez posted:

He also shows the most empathy/character of them all sans maybe Eliza (it’s been a few months but aren’t Eliza’s friends reluctant to help initially?)

I really appreciated how much he's the mad scientist character from any number of these movies from the 50s and 60s and is barely changed at all from that, but is sympathetic. Same with how Michael Shannon's character is a textbook G-man and aside from the occasional profanity would have been the hero if the same script was made a few decades ago.

• Locked thread