Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As someone with a mental disability I actually find the "incomplete" metaphor a lot more accurate and less condescending than naively insisting that I'm just different, despite the trend in academics towards the latter model. I don't know for certain that I would feel the same if were mute or blind or missing or a limb instead, and I can't speak for everyone's experience, but I don't think it's an inherently flawed way of looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"This was bad" is fine as long as you can articulate your standards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Solaris kind of surprises me, it's certainly no crowd pleaser but it's not aggressively unpleasant like Bug or mother! or weird and offputting like Wicker Man and Killing Them Softly

Soderbergh's Solaris is awful. It's weird enough to not have any kind of mainstream appeal but simultaneously way too sickly sentimental to live up to the novella.

like seriously how do you take a book that basically posits "God exists and is mutually incomprehensible to us" and then make a movie about George Clooney being forgiven for his sins and getting his dead wife back

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2018

• Locked thread