Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mary had a little clam posted:

Well... a film set in the 60s with the Other being dehumanizingly hosed down by white agents of the State is a pretty specific reference to Birmingham/Civil Rights marches. Bringing up Rambo borders on being willfully obtuse unless you see a lot of other Rambo signifiers in the film? :psyduck:

You literally see protesters being sprayed with fire hoses on TV in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think it could be considered safe when you compare it to its own potential for really lush weirdness. You get a lot of minor oddities divertissements sprinkled throughout but the actual meat scans more like a cutscene, which is a shame because so many of the moments are so lovely. It needs the beefy grotesquery of Delicatessen or the whirling grace of Amelie to keep the story from feeling like a grinding obligation (or just better pacing).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

china bot posted:

would love to see the venn diagram of people who loved this & people who loved Mother!

Why?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

china bot posted:

one film won Best Picture, one film received an 'F' Cinemascore rating, both films are, at their core, engaging in a battle with social mores & expectations that, one could argue, descend from religious texts as interpreted by powerful white men.

I mean, I guess I'd venture that most people who liked mother! either enjoyed or were lukewarm on Shape of Water. They're so tonally different, I'm not really sure what the comparison is meant to elicit. You'd be better off looking at The Florida Project.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Erotic thrillers are almost universally hetero so I think a better term would be "sweaty thriller".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LesterGroans posted:

The only gay erotic thrillers I can think of are Single White Female (which I think is mostly subtext and all the actual loving is straight) and maybe Black Swan?

All I can think of is Talented Mr Ripley, but nothing in the backlit-pointy-nipple style of the steamy 80s and 90s softcore erotic thrillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
We need to get John Waters to remake this asap.

• Locked thread