Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pick posted:

I was expecting to love this film. It's.... okay. I mean, it's pretty good.

It really suffers from never giving the fish-man his own strong characterization.

This is exactly my take on it. The fishman doesn't really have a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pick posted:

Yeah, even his body language is pretty staid.

I was hoping for lots of physicality, isn't the point of the Gillman (and Doug Jones for that matter) that he's lithe and graceful? Even when he's clumsy on land is an opportunity to make him sympathetic, but almost every time, they play it as pathetic. For much of the movie, he's a houseplant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
His best are Devil's Backbone and Blade 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pomp posted:

I realized earlier the film this reminds me of the most is Amelie with me horrific violence

It's very, very Jeunet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like Fourteen would be more of a Guy Maddin joint.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sinding Johansson posted:

I think this is closer to the truth, but I reiterate my point is that the characters belong to no movements at all. To me, it's pretty much tokenism, a base appeal to trendy sensibilities, especially when compared to films like Hidden Figures, Hail Caesar or Brokeback Mountain (off top of my head, but chosen as they are all set in roughly the same time period). Well the black, communist and gay characters are all secondary you might say, but a flim like See No Evil, Hear No Evil is head and shoulders above this one when it comes to portraying the differently abled.

The fishman is explicitly compared, for example, to a black man being sprayed with a firehose. It's certainly a choice, though what it's saying is ambiguous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, in this case, it has a specific context.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The actual merit in the idea of the fishman is associated with blackness is the connection between that character and Zelda's downtrodden, browbeaten husband.

Well, yeah, that's the point, both are conspicuously depicted in the same film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The character who is too pure for this world is (somewhat bizarrely) the communist.

Haha, yes. The romantic surrogates are less caricatured than the actual protagonists.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
F Cinemascore is a drat badge of honor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hot drat that's a good lineup. How in the world were people so turned off by In The Cut?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's certainly better than, say, Jade.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

The only gay erotic thrillers I can think of are Single White Female (which I think is mostly subtext and all the actual loving is straight) and maybe Black Swan?

There's a French one from not too long ago, it's on the tip of my tongue. The Weekend, I think? Where a guy has a fling with a mysterious stranger who may or may not be a murderer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

china bot posted:

Stranger by the Lake

TY. I remember it whipped rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Whoa, where'd all this hate for Killing Them Softly come from?

I quite like Killing Them Softly but it is one of the most obnoxious movies I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It's the right kind of obnoxious though.

It looks really great too: I'm thinking especially of the poker game robbery scene, Ray Liotta getting his rear end beat in the torrential downpour.

• Locked thread