Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Great movie and Del Toro made me feel smart for guessing early on that Eliza's neck scars would turn into gills.

The colors might be the best part. Teal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, weird out there thing I noticed: Strickland is modeled after Ronald Reagan. Really. The "You can tell a lot about about a fella's character..." spiel is directly from a similar Reagan quote about jellybeans. Strickland literally says, "There you go again." There is another reference to Reagan's love of simple candies like jelly beans. My theory is the conception of Strickland is that he's a protagonist from another movie. Another film exists that shows him braving the Amazon and conquering the creature. We're just seeing the continuation of that stock B-Movie where Stickland is played by Reagan.

I dig it. My partner and I agreed that we were very glad that the fishman's backstory wasn't really explained at all, just "Amazon, villagers worship him." A different movie would have a hokey flashback showing ooga booga rituals and Strickland trapping him. Save that stuff for an artbook.

I haven't seen Cronos and now I have to after reading a brief description. Sounds great.

• Locked thread