Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Adore this, may be Movie of the Year.

For all the "sexy fishman" jokes, I kinda like how this movie handled female sexuality in particular. Like a character like the protagonist is often shown as innocent/naive/virginal, but one of the first things we see is her making time for herself in the bathtub. And she's the one who initiates contact.

On top of all that, yeah, Hawkins is wonderful, Shannon is wonderful, there's a great sense of how everyone- even the antagonist- is a prisoner of the times and the expectations involved.

I've seen at least one review which focuses on how it has a lot of references to other movies and doesn't think there's much beyond that, but honestly I think del Toro achieves a certain synthesis here. One homage I really did like is the opening narration using the same trick as Phantom of the Paradise.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat movie.

Although, its Del Toros least subtle film all the dessert, green talk and imagery, referring to the evils of money/capitalism (green jello, overtly green key lime pie, the green candy he eats).As the movie states multiple times "green is the future!". Even the desert (butter cake) the Commy Henchmen eats while not green it is a desert. While he is not influenced or driven by capitalistic and material greed, he still serves a corruptible and insidious means. Same thing with the car that Richard purchase it's not "green but teal" dollying up the actual motifs of the American Capitalist machine (its not oil its freedom, the tax bill helps the middle class), while the ulterior motive is obvious. Elisa, outright rejects this green through the form of the pie. Another interesting tidbit is when the movie theatre owner is lamenting that his business is dying then we cut to a whole row of display TVs.

Though the creature is also at least partly green.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Universal must be pissed that after years of trying and failing to get the Dark Universe crap going, GDT went and made a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie that will inevitably be better than anything they manage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

*extremely white middle class goon voice* uuuhhhh why are these oppressed people showing solidarity like children

And it's not like it's automatic. Octavia Spencer's character is basically acting like "Ah, poo poo, I have to go along with this don't I?"

Hawkins' character is very persuasive in her way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is also the first time any kind of "monster movie" has won Best Picture, so that's cool. (And I think it's only the second fantasy film after RotK?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a lot of the low Cinescore movies were cases of "We thought this was going to be something different than what it was."

• Locked thread