Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I dunno; there's plenty of stuff in here that I guess I could recognize as maybe transgressive from the perspective of a hypothetical mainstream audience, but is that audience even going to see the movie? I had to catch it at the campus arthouse theater. And if you've seen any of del Toro's previous movies nothing in here comes across as remotely shocking.

Actually, I probably would have liked this a lot more if I had no idea who was involved and had not seen a trailer. Or any promotional art of any sort. As is I can recognize it as technically well executed and I have a sort of vague affection for most of the characters, but I didn't feel like I got anything more out of watching the movie than I did watching the trailer. They not only told me exactly what was going to happen in advance, they showed me how it was going to happen so there weren't really any surprises left and not much to learn. A few nice character moments, I guess, just...not much to make an impression. Maybe I need to give it a second chance when I'm in a different mood or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'll grant you the varied filmography; I can't even claim to have seen all of his work so maybe something in there is mainstream and family-friendly.

I think risky is an even harder sell than shocking would be, though. As far as I can tell there has been absolutely no attempt to market the movie to audiences who would find anything in it objectionable. Obviously I don't have a global view of this or anything, but properly contextualized "safe" feels like a pretty fair charge to me.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It doesn't really strike me as necessarily a flaw with either the marketing or the film. If nobody involved wanted to make it for a wide audience and nobody involved thought it would be a good fit for a wide audience, that seems...totally okay?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The point was just that I can see where that guy was coming from, calling it a safe movie. Not the first word that came to my mind, but not totally dissimilar from what I felt when I left the theater. That it contains elements which many people find objectionable does not seem relevant if there was never any serious hope that those people would watch the movie in the first place, as I am suggesting appears to be the case here.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

So, despite it excluding a decent chunk of its potential viewing audience, it's a safe movie because it knew it was excluding a decent chunk of its potential.

By this definition it would be impossible to make a risky film unless you had never met a person and had no idea what they liked.

Very few movies have a target audience of "everyone in the world", dude. I don't think Halloween 5 gets a lot of credit for boldness despite the fact that there are lots of people who aren't going to watch a movie about teenagers being stabbed.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

He mimics one sign that he sees Eliza make. Whether this is an attempt at intelligent communication or not is deliberately ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It sounds like you were somehow sold something that was not a fairy tale, which made the experience of getting a fairy tale jarring. Or maybe you just don't care for fairy tales. If you do, though, maybe give this a rewatch at some point when you're in that sort of mood.

• Locked thread