Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't seen this yet but where do you guys rank it among Del Toro's best?
I had a friend say it was his best film but they haven't seen The Devil's Backbone soooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still rank the devils Backbone above this but I had a lot of fun with it, good movie.
It's funny how much of a threat Shannon isnt. I mean he's pretty impotent, he doesn't put everything together or become an actual threat until the very very end
Leave it to Beaver with Michael Shannon was hilarious and dark and I loved it. Shoulda put him in mad men.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

It reminded me why Shannon got an Oscar nom for Revolutionary Road. When you put that man in a buttoned-down, orderly setting and let him tear at the edges he's very funny.
still should've beaten Heath Ledger YEAH I SAID IT

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still rate The Devil's Backbone as his best but like Scorsese I'm glad for these directors to get recognized with wins regardless of which movie the Academy finally clues in on

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

china bot posted:

would love to see the venn diagram of people who loved this & people who loved Mother!
"love" would be strong but I did like them both a lot (at least as far as ranking the 2017 films go, I didn't really like either of them as much as say...Good Time). Shape of Water was more charming and entertaining but Mother! will def stick with me longer.

• Locked thread