Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rabble posted:

I loved this movie from the opening shot. What could have been a hokey story about a woman infatuated by a sea creature is instead a wonderfully crafted tale where every character is given realistic motivations that weave together seamlessly.

My favorite scene in the whole movie was towards the end of the first act...Eliza (Sally Hawkins) and Zelda (Octavia Spencer) are cleaning the men's bathroom when Richard (Michael Strickland) comes in with his cattle prod. When Richard goes to the urinal you see all three characters in frame. It's shot from above looking down across the room. The perspective of the shot makes Richard seem much larger than Eliza and Zelda...which subconsciously lets the audience know the power/status dynamics between these characters. ...this also happens when...the monster is "wheeled" into the laboratory/holding tank for the first time. Every other character is wearing bright white coats or white shirts (minus the two cleaning ladies) when Richard (Strickland) strides in wearing a dark overcoat in stark contrast. I mean, it's such a simple way to say "yo, this dude is the bad guy" without hitting you over the head with it. I'm sure there were a lot more examples I could pull from but I got lost in the story after the first act and just enjoyed the ride.

gently caress, what a good movie.

That is a great scene. I noticed the very weighty sound the cattle prod makes as he drags it across the sink. It gave it a sense of terrible weight. On that, Shannon is always a bit too big for his environment in the movie. He stoops slightly to get into the lab, he's barely contained in that ridiculous cadillac, he completely fills the corridor that Eliza and Giles are dwarfed by. Shannon's a big guy (190cm) and they make him seem even bigger.

Gatts posted:

It's not on his slate but if his next movie was about a Succubus, or a Cat Woman, or a Werewolf, or Frankenstein's monster I'd enjoy him doing a Darkstalkers run.

Cronos is his take on a vampire movie, it's fantastic. Blade II (which is also cosmetically a vampire movie) also touches on quite few of the same themes as Frankenstein.

Sinding Johansson posted:

What do a closeted gay man, an oppressed black woman, a communist and a fish monster have in common?

If you watch the film, you may have an answer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

His best are Devil's Backbone and Blade 2.

I like you. Let's be friends.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's supposed to show that he gets off on women being silent.

His family is just another accessory as well, since he decides to buy a cadillac while squeezing her tits. The wife also lays back, immobile, still dressed, whereas Eliza stands.

there's a lot going on in this movie. I'm supposed to write a review of it, and I just ended up with 1000 words of superlative compliments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

but only as beacons of oppression (sexual, racial, domestic, political).

How can you have the answer, right there, successfully identified, and ignore it?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
And Del Toro consistently makes films about the marginalised. The idea of monsters as metaphor isn't new, but while most cast them as freaks, Del Toro simply casts them as the forgotten. His vampires are redundant old people, or discarded, failed experiments and heirs. His ghosts are war orphans.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I'm don't quite understand what you mean by that.

One thing I think was important but goes unexamined is Strickland's death. Why does the fishman kill him? Why does he proclaim the fishman a god? I mean in literal plot terms it's perfectly clear, but how are we supposed to interpret this? The fishman is a vengeful pagan god. Stickland, who's already on the cusp of a breakdown, rejects his prior beliefs and embraces paganism, but too little to late. I dunno.

I never liked that Del Toro can never just kill his villains, he almost always has to torture or degrade them first.

Strickland's degradation is largely self inflicted, though. He physically falls apart due to him blocking everything out with painkillers, and his career falls apart because he simply cannot imagine that the quiet hispanic woman is the one who bested him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That's a good way to put it, but I don't think it really captures his development. It was awhile ago I saw this but iirc the four critical scenes with him are; the Cadillac man of the future bit, the rehearsed speech about his failure to his supervisor, ripping off his fingers and calling the fishman god.

Unlike what some other posters have said, the rehearsed speech seems to make clear that he is not somehow the embodiment of the patriarchy or w/e else but an individual embedded within it. The rotting fingers definitely suggest a willful blindness. That's why I say that ripping them off, combined with calling the fishman a god suggest a transformation of the character. Killing him then, (after he had been disarmed?) seems vindictive.

The actor Sally Hawkins is English and her character has an Italian surname btw. #Not all cleaning ladies.

I thought Esposito was a hispanic name. Shows what I know. I'm probably thinking of Espinoza.

Strickland is beyond redemption because even after the general reminds him of how fragile his place in the hierarchy is, and how his decency doesn't matter (he's a monster, just one of his own creation) he fights to get his spot back, rather than rejecting it wholesale. He willingly keeps being a monster. He also doesn't just kill the 'god' he kills his prophet, too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xealot posted:

I’ve met Spanish speakers named Esposito, too, but yeah I’m pretty sure she’s not supposed to be Latina. She does have a disability, though, which feels like a rare minority category to represent let alone star in a movie. And there’s the literally voiceless thing, so it’s not subtle.

It's not like Italian Americans were in a particularly good spot in the 60s, so it works either way.

I think that's the part of this I liked the most. For whatever reason, nostalgia for the 60s is really common, and Del Toro has no rose tinted glasses at all. I love that the cosy diner is a cynical franchise manned by a racist faking an accent. That whole setting seems constructed to dispel nostalgia.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"This was bad" is fine as long as you can articulate your standards.

Therein lies the problem.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

This movie was really bad

Boring, safe, shallow as a kiddie pool.

The visuals were nice though

A take as shallow as the bath the main character masturbates in in the opening scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

And if you've seen any of del Toro's previous movies nothing in here comes across as remotely shocking.

This is a much more absolute statement than I think you can actually make, or meant to make, given what a varied filmography the guy has and also given what's actually in the film.

You're also equating risky with shocking, and the two aren't the same thing in film making at all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

As far as I can tell there has been absolutely no attempt to market the movie to audiences who would find anything in it objectionable.

This is a marketing flaw, not a film making flaw. Having the only white man in the movie as a villain and having a woman (in her 40s) masturbate in the opening scene is objectionable to quite a few people. Having her gently caress the merman and describe his genitals is also objectionable to plenty of people.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I can't even claim to have seen all of his work so maybe something in there is mainstream and family-friendly.

What? That wasn't the point of that statement at all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

It doesn't really strike me as necessarily a flaw with either the marketing or the film. If nobody involved wanted to make it for a wide audience and nobody involved thought it would be a good fit for a wide audience, that seems...totally okay?

I have no idea what your point is anymore.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

The point was just that I can see where that guy was coming from, calling it a safe movie. Not the first word that came to my mind, but not totally dissimilar from what I felt when I left the theater. That it contains elements which many people find objectionable does not seem relevant if there was never any serious hope that those people would watch the movie in the first place, as I am suggesting appears to be the case here.

So, despite it excluding a decent chunk of its potential viewing audience, it's a safe movie because it knew it was excluding a decent chunk of its potential.

By this definition it would be impossible to make a risky film unless you had never met a person and had no idea what they liked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

Very few movies have a target audience of "everyone in the world", dude. I don't think Halloween 5 gets a lot of credit for boldness despite the fact that there are lots of people who aren't going to watch a movie about teenagers being stabbed.

Halloween 5 is a terrible lazy sequel to what was, when released, a very bold film. We're still at a point where 'safe' is a useless descriptor. As you point out, very few films are made for everyone, but big budget films go out of their way to ensure they exclude as few as possible. This didn't. Even outside of blockbusters, it cannot be described as safe when utterly middle of the road films like 'Wonder' exist.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 10, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean... a fish person that's incapable of human communication doesn't really have any way of showing consent, so it's not that big a stretch :shrug:

e: like, it's clearly not what the movie wants you to take away, but i don't think that makes it wrong

He repeatedly, passionately embraces her. So, he does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I still rate The Devil's Backbone as his best but like Scorsese I'm glad for these directors to get recognized with wins regardless of which movie the Academy finally clues in on

Funny way to spell 'Blade 2"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zwille posted:

I like that interpretation though I think it's giving the film too much credit.

Justice does prevail in this movie. The downtrodden do get to hit back at those who down-tread them.

That's what happens.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michael Shannon isn't the only white man in the movie

Okay, the only straight white american man who isn't Nick Searcy (who is also a villain)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

What about Hoffstetler? He may be an immigrant, but he is white.

He's a Russian spy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The consent angle is especially weird as a complaint, since the fishman initiates contact, and its unmistakable sensual contact. Also, he's shown to be perfectly capable of standing up for himself.

• Locked thread