Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
would love to see the venn diagram of people who loved this & people who loved Mother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

one film won Best Picture, one film received an 'F' Cinemascore rating, both films are, at their core, engaging in a battle with social mores & expectations that, one could argue, descend from religious texts as interpreted by powerful white men.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, I guess I'd venture that most people who liked mother! either enjoyed or were lukewarm on Shape of Water. They're so tonally different, I'm not really sure what the comparison is meant to elicit. You'd be better off looking at The Florida Project.

I'm interested in what the demographic breakdown would be. It's an arbitrary polarity, as neither film would be the best or worst of this year, but it would be interesting nonetheless. Both films could be argued to be "extreme", and I'm curious to see the kind of person offended by one, but not the other...or alternatively, the type of person who loves both, despite their vastly different tones. It's as good of an opportunity as any to analyze the broad tastes of the film-going public in 2017.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a French one from not too long ago, it's on the tip of my tongue. The Weekend, I think? Where a guy has a fling with a mysterious stranger who may or may not be a murderer.

Stranger by the Lake

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"love" would be strong but I did like them both a lot (at least as far as ranking the 2017 films go, I didn't really like either of them as much as say...Good Time). Shape of Water was more charming and entertaining but Mother! will def stick with me longer.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
meanwhile, Darkness & Silent House are very deserving of their F ratings

• Locked thread