Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Doesn't Strickland explicitly say the name means "orphan?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

warez posted:

He also shows the most empathy/character of them all sans maybe Eliza (it’s been a few months but aren’t Eliza’s friends reluctant to help initially?)

“People probably react poorly to the white man being the villain” is a strange stance to take. I guess because he’s a fill-in for American authority in general?

He's an empathetic character for sure. Both US and Russian authority is shown as bad I'd say.

Del Toro always celebrates the outsider. I got to hear him speak about it and he straight up said "this is a love story where the creature from the black lagoon gets the girl in the end." I can definitely see where you'd wonder about the fisherman's consent but I don't think that was the intent at all.

It was a good talk. They made it on a shoestring budget by repurposing sets from The Strain. The underwater scenes at the beginning were done with a filter and actually hanging things on threads. Giles and Zelda's apartments are the same set shot from different angles.

• Locked thread