Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Snowman_McK posted:

How can you have the answer, right there, successfully identified, and ignore it?

Pretty much. They’re not part of any unified movement, but why do they have to be? They’re connected by virtue of being incongruous with Strickland’s sterile, normative worldview. The extent of political comment there is that the stark and authoritarian nature of Cold War America leaves no space for all kinds of Other, which the various supporting cast represent.

In a sense, the fishman works best as an embodiment of Otherness or the non-normative in general. Strickland seeks to control or destroy it, but the people who see its value and humanity are the ones already forced to the margins. Saving it is really a form of self-preservation; the “love story” is really about self-love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I’ve met Spanish speakers named Esposito, too, but yeah I’m pretty sure she’s not supposed to be Latina. She does have a disability, though, which feels like a rare minority category to represent let alone star in a movie. And there’s the literally voiceless thing, so it’s not subtle.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Even if people are offended by the phrase “incomplete,” I don’t see why it’s a flaw of the film because that’s how the character sees herself. It doesn’t speak to some objective belief del Toro has, just the rigid and hostile norms of the period, which the film criticizes openly.

It’s not like the film ends with fishman fixing her voice or anything.

• Locked thread