Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I loved this movie from the opening shot. What could have been a hokey story about a woman infatuated by a sea creature is instead a wonderfully crafted tale where every character is given realistic motivations that weave together seamlessly.

My favorite scene in the whole movie was towards the end of the first act...Eliza (Sally Hawkins) and Zelda (Octavia Spencer) are cleaning the men's bathroom when Richard (Michael Strickland) comes in with his cattle prod. When Richard goes to the urinal you see all three characters in frame. It's shot from above looking down across the room. The perspective of the shot makes Richard seem much larger than Eliza and Zelda...which subconsciously lets the audience know the power/status dynamics between these characters. ...this also happens when...the monster is "wheeled" into the laboratory/holding tank for the first time. Every other character is wearing bright white coats or white shirts (minus the two cleaning ladies) when Richard (Strickland) strides in wearing a dark overcoat in stark contrast. I mean, it's such a simple way to say "yo, this dude is the bad guy" without hitting you over the head with it. I'm sure there were a lot more examples I could pull from but I got lost in the story after the first act and just enjoyed the ride.

gently caress, what a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

This was a really good movie if nothing all that special however the only flaw I find in it is the Merman kills Michael Shannon instead of healing him physically and emotionally within as forgiveness. It's debated if its an Animal or a God but it would have helped if as a God it was merciful like the Old Man who had his cat eaten forgave it. I think that would have been a good parallel.

I liked that line especially, not because the monster was actually supposed to be a god, but that Shannon’s character dismissed the god thing during the second act of the film because of his arrogance...and it was a fantastic call back when he was finally confronted with what the monster could do. There was a similar callback that I really enjoyed where the camera pans down through the floorboards into the theater at the start of the film and that exact same same pan is used during the bathroom flooding scene.

This was a very well put together movie.

• Locked thread