Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I can't really place exactly why, but Tomlin just doesn't have the look of a great coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Who are these guys and how did they get into the San Francisco uniforms ?

"Oh we're back, you just wait for next season"

-- Cockiest 5-10 team ever.

e. Pay Jimmy G all the monies for the longest time.

gonna laugh when Brady retires & Garoppolo re-signs with NE so that SF paid a second-round pick to tank their draft position

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There's zero chance Jimmy G doesn't get the exclusive tag this offseason right?

I saw it floated that there would be a small possibility they just didn't like what they saw, drafted Rosen/Darnold with a top 3 pick, and flipped Jimmy for a 1st, but that's been shot to hell.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oldskool posted:

gonna laugh when Brady retires & Garoppolo re-signs with NE so that SF paid a second-round pick to tank their draft position

sadly SF can just tag him :smith:

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's not zero, but that's only because there's a small chance they sign him before they need to tag him. No way in hell he becomes a free agent.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I saw it floated that there would be a small possibility they just didn't like what they saw, drafted Rosen/Darnold with a top 3 pick, and flipped Jimmy for a 1st, but that's been shot to hell.

There is this rather absurd theory that Jimmy G would play the Kirk Cousins game, get the tag for a year or two, after which Brady retires and he signs with NE.

I highly doubt this will happen but I guess it is a possibility.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Hmm, yes. In a world where Matt Stafford makes $25mil/year, Jimmy G is going to leave that on the table to take up Tom Brady's legacy of making $10mil/year under his market value because Patriots

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Also Belichick is old as hell and is going to retire when Brady does

e: just picking a quick sampling of head coaches I remember being older than dirt, Shula retired at 65, Parcells at 65, Landry at 64, Schottenheimer at 63. Ted Marchibroda was 67 his last year with the Ravens. Belichick is 65.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 27, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also Belichick is old as hell and is going to retire when Brady does

e: just picking a quick sampling of head coaches I remember being older than dirt, Shula retired at 65, Parcells at 65, Landry at 64, Schottenheimer at 63. Ted Marchibroda was 67 his last year with the Ravens. Belichick is 65.

saban is 66. that's pretty surprising he's older than all those guys i think of as ancient

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

There is this rather absurd theory that Jimmy G would play the Kirk Cousins game, get the tag for a year or two, after which Brady retires and he signs with NE.

I highly doubt this will happen but I guess it is a possibility.

It would never happen because football is such a brutal sport that when you've got the chance to get a big contract, you take it. The downside risk of one bad play wrecking your career is just too big. Cousins only managed to happen because the redskins wouldn't offer him one but kept franchising him. Jimmy G has never gotten a real payday and will not turn it down and take massive risk to play for a different team. Even if Bill was guaranteed to stick around for 20 more years.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Marv Levy was in his early 70's when he retired with the Bills. Of course he got started at coaching older than most already, so :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Benne posted:

When you go from 12-4 to 6-9 with largely the same team, you have a coaching problem. The injury excuse only goes so far.

The Raiders were in 10 games last year that were decided by a single score and went 8-2 in those. The problem is that they were really a 9-7 team that got lucky (anyone remember that insane MNF game against the Texans in Mexico City), which is why this year they've managed to have such a worse record despite having most of the same talent (they're 4-3 in one-score games and more likely to finish 6-10 than 7-9). Coaching probably didn't help, but the odds were always against them improving this season.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Raiders were in 10 games last year that were decided by a single score and went 8-2 in those. The problem is that they were really a 9-7 team that got lucky (anyone remember that insane MNF game against the Texans in Mexico City), which is why this year they've managed to have such a worse record despite having most of the same talent (they're 4-3 in one-score games and more likely to finish 6-10 than 7-9). Coaching probably didn't help, but the odds were always against them improving this season.

Tougher schedule this year, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Barudak posted:

Hes too hiphop for my tastes
This will never get old to me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
SF will probably try to sign Jimmy G to a mid-term deal (3 years is my guess?) to give him some job security at a slightly lower rate than the tag. I'd see them using the tag as a last resort.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Speaking of Jimmy G’s, what’s the thinking about Seattle re-signing Graham. He’s been kind of disappointing on the whole for them, but he’s been a monster red zone threat this year, and without any running game to speak of they desperately need some way to score close in. But he costs an awful lot for a dude that only has 500 yards on the year.

I expect them to move on from him. Who is a likely landing spot? San Francisco, who has a ton of cap room?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i wish we could have him instead of gresham but i think we're like 3 years away from getting rid of him and fans would probably hate him the same way they do graham in seattle

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Speaking of Jimmy G’s, what’s the thinking about Seattle re-signing Graham. He’s been kind of disappointing on the whole for them, but he’s been a monster red zone threat this year, and without any running game to speak of they desperately need some way to score close in. But he costs an awful lot for a dude that only has 500 yards on the year.

I expect them to move on from him. Who is a likely landing spot? San Francisco, who has a ton of cap room?

Come home Jimmy. Fleener sucks, and we need a TE.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silly Burrito posted:

Come home Jimmy. Fleener sucks, and we need a TE.
Arent the Saints still in cap hell?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I would not be surprised if we let Jimmy walk in part because we finally started playing to his strengths this season, there's a level of irony to it that just makes too much sense for us to keep him

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Jimmy G to Jimmy G all the way to da superbowl baby

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I don't think it's nearly as bad as previous years. But, Drew is also a free agent next year, so his contact is not on the books. But if Drew isn't here (which I hope is unlikely - pay the man), no need for Jimmy.

Edit: $34,526,817 in cap space for next year with just under $7,000,000 in dead money. But that's not including a contract for Drew.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 28, 2017

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When has that ever stopped the Saints from making bad decisions with how to spend their money?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd like to have Jimmy back but I don't think the cap space will be there for whatever he wants

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrLogan posted:

When has that ever stopped the Saints from making bad decisions with how to spend their money?

Which bad decisions did they make? Not which ones had bad results, but which ones were obviously bad when they made them?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MrLogan posted:

Hey!

Well, it's true, but we're getting better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Which bad decisions did they make? Not which ones had bad results, but which ones were obviously bad when they made them?

This made me think about it from the other direction, which decisions looked good but turned out awful? Jarius Byrd is the one that springs to mind but there might be more.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

This made me think about it from the other direction, which decisions looked good but turned out awful? Jarius Byrd is the one that springs to mind but there might be more.

Ryan Leaf

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Manoueverable posted:

I would not be surprised if we let Jimmy walk in part because we finally started playing to his strengths this season, there's a level of irony to it that just makes too much sense for us to keep him

"A player whose value has tanked because of coaching mismanagement might hit the market, you say?"
_______/
:patssay:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jimmy Graham leads all Tight Ends in touchdowns this year, he's going to get a massive free agent contract

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grittybeard posted:

Junior Galette
CJ Spiller
Brandon Browner

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't think it's nearly as bad as previous years. But, Drew is also a free agent next year, so his contact is not on the books. But if Drew isn't here (which I hope is unlikely - pay the man), no need for Jimmy.

I think there are a lot of needy AFC teams that could definitely use Brees and pay better than the Saints.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Silly Burrito posted:

Junior Galette
CJ Spiller
Brandon Browner

Champ Bailey
Victor Butler
Coby Fleener

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DariusLikewise posted:

Jimmy Graham leads all Tight Ends in touchdowns this year, he's going to get a massive free agent contract

My post was mostly a goof, but in any decent offense he would have racked up 1,000 yard seasons instead of whatever most of his tenure in Seattle was.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jimmy Graham thoughts:

This season is almost a reversal of last year. He's been targeted 92 times and he's only caught 54 (58%). His average yards per catch is garbage. That said, he has 10 receiving TDs. Compared to last year which was his career best in YPC but he only caught 6 TDs. His drops have been incredibly frustrating and it always looked as if he lacked effort which led to a few INTs. I think Seattle finally gave up on the idea of him blocking at the line and usually has him line up as a receiver.

Depending on what he wants is whether or not I'd extend him or not. I don't know how many years he has left either. He's a good presence on the field, especially in red zone. But I'm going to bet he will command a lot of money. I think Paul Richardson is a better extension, personally, and he probably won't command as much. Seattle's cap situation isn't the greatest at the moment.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ulmont posted:

Champ Bailey
Victor Butler
Coby Fleener

Fleener I'll give you, but did we actually sign Bailey to a big contract? I remember him coming in for camp but that's it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Silly Burrito posted:

Fleener I'll give you, but did we actually sign Bailey to a big contract? I remember him coming in for camp but that's it.

It wasn't big but I think it resulted in 2014 dead money.

Also:
Nick Fairley

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Those were in response to the “looked good but turned out awful” question I think.

Really, for all the poo poo the Saints have taken for cap management most of their big contract signings were guys that made sense. Byrd and Keenan Lewis were both really good players. Galette was a good pash rusher. Graham was one of the best receiving tight ends in the game. Brees is Brees.

The main issue is that due to poor coaching and Galette being a loving dirtbag they ended up wasting a bunch of money on those guys.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ulmont posted:

It wasn't big but I think it resulted in 2014 dead money.

Also:
Nick Fairley

Well I don't really count that because he did play great for us last year, and would've been a force this year most likely if not for his heart condition. Now you can argue that the Saints should've caught that, but their doctors have been proven to be somewhat incompetent (See Delvin Breaux).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Well I don't really count that because he did play great for us last year, and would've been a force this year most likely if not for his heart condition.

Looked great, signed contract, didn't play another snap, dead money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ulmont posted:

Looked great, signed contract, didn't play another snap, dead money...

Valid point. I just put him on a different tier than Byrd or Browner or Spiller, who did actually play (somewhat) but just weren't good.

• Locked thread