Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i loving love all the rawhide kobayashis on youtube LARPing yuru camp episodes. here's my favorite rawhide YTer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kXVRkw9iE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....I can't be mad at more people going camping. Especially not when it's the stereotypically-fastidious Japanese, or, for that matter, someone on the opposite side of the globe. Go camp, you otaku! Broaden your horizons! Become a multi-faceted person!

That said, I have been getting deep into asian camping stoves. Like, there is this entire segment of camping that's completely foreign to western camping, with the gas bottles and the fully self-enclosed tents and emphasis on lightness and melting nylon that you don't have in Asia.

Like how Grandpa camps, with the center-pole tent.
i think the focus with stoves and fire pits is because most campsites in asia don't allow ground fires, whereas virtually all US campgrounds do, unless there is a conditions-specific burn ban in effect.

based on what i've seen on The Gram, the japanese do go incredibly hard when it comes to car camping, though. the sheer weight of the poo poo they take camping is incredible. guys are making tables out of rebar and hardwood.

for my part, i'm an idiot who bought a bunch of new camping stuff this winter, including a lot of deeply-weeb and stupid expensive Snow Peak crap, only to have outdoors get cancelled the second the weather turned nice.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 4, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So..... California. Where I live. =P
well, whoops.

anyway, post your weeb camping stove knowledge. this is the thread for it. here is my favorite, the snow peak home and camp burner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIziiX-p1vM

it has a very powerful secret:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbtD-mISU5Q&t=262s
waverider mode

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 5, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
liquid fuel stoves and lanterns are the grandpas guitars of camping.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

el dorito posted:

for anyone interested, rei has this for about $82 until april 27 (I think). Normally $110.

https://www.rei.com/product/169523/snow-peak-home-camp-butane-stove
ugh, i love it but i don’t want to have to buy two different kinds of fuel canisters

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

el dorito posted:

do you have a liquid fuel stove? The next stove I get is probably gonna be an msr whisperlite if I can get enough mileage out of the butane stove. How do you like it? I worry a lot about leaks when it comes to liquid fuel, so I've had a preference for gas for now.

I've been using my msr jetboil up to this point. It's a reliable friend and I'll still take it with me for winter camping. But I'd like to try something other than MREs or a cold sandwich for dinner or granola bars for breakfast.
i have two little primus essential trail stoves. liquid fuel was miserable and high maintenance 20 years ago. i can’t imagine using one now. the msr windburner and jetboils rule, though. i’d have one if i was backpacking, but the gf and i are strictly outclub casuals. i’d have a big ol’ dual burner if i had the storage space, or some ridiculous snow peak IGT setup.

i couldn’t camp with cold food, though, even if i’m just heating up beans or making eggs.

we managed to sneak out last week for some ultimate social isolation with our weeb-inspired setup:

el dorito posted:

also, a lot of camping websites tend to extensively crap on butane stoves so I'd like to see if there's any fuel to whatever claims are simmering in their heads.
if you’re at any appreciable altitude, you want isobutane instead of pure butane, but aside from that, i can’t imagine what they would complain about.

camping pancakes rule, but the syrup seems to get everywhere, just like bacon grease. i do eggs, sausage, and coffee. many some tinned cinnamon rolls if i’m feeling fancy. if you like coffee, you gotta get a french press attachment for your jet boil.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kwyndig posted:

What is it about shimarin that makes the people at good smile give her extra accessories, first the deluxe edition with the tent and now a scooter edition.
she's the yurucamp rei ayanami

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SirPhoebos posted:

My grocery store had instant curry noodles in stock, so I bought a whole bunch of them.
i also bought them only because of the show, but now they are my favorite cold weather cup noods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SlowBloke posted:

Last episode highlighted something that i won't understand about modern camping/hiking. You go into the woods to get one into the nature and most of your supplies aren't just plastic packaged but made in a way that require you to cook them into the plastic, making it impossible to recycle. That's a bit awkward isn't it?
it beats the alternative of elaborate camp cooking and clean up, which sucks when you lack access to running water and reliable trash disposal. making stuff easy to pack out has reduced litter at public campsites versus when i was a kid (although that just might be a boomer vs. millennial/zoomer divide)