Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1: Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous: The best anime ever made, except for Symphogear. Incredibly well animated, gorgeous music, great use of CG, wonderful direction, incredibly endearing characters, great voice performances, funny, sad, exciting, interesting. literally my only complaint is 'a couple of individual shots look weird' and 'where they choose to end the episodes can sometimes feel a little forced to make a cliffhanger.'

2: Little Witch Academia: Funny, good animation, really expands on a pretty charming cast of characters. A couple of the episodes in the first half were kind of dull and a few of the side characters could have used more development relative to how much emphasis the show seems to place on them at times, but it's a good, well-made show.

3: Symphogear AXZ: The plotting is a little slapdash due to a need for fights to happen every episode, a couple of the episodes looked bad, and a few of heroes' character arcs were weird or kind of wasted, but it had excellent animation in other places, great music, and probably the best villains of any anime I watched this year, both the Illuminati Trio and their character arcs and Adam and his complete scumbaggery. Heck, I even felt a little bad for Tiki by the end, and she had like twenty lines. Not the best the show has to offer, but definitely above and beyond GX, and a good continuation.

4: New Game!!: A comedy that knows just how much drama to work in to make things compelling without feeling overwrought. The new additions to the cast were a little hit or miss the show was pretty obvious about which characters it actually cared about, but the characters it did care about got really satisfying arcs, and there were some good gags in there. Plus it dug into the game development side more than the first season did, since Aoba's there from start to finish.

5: KiraKira Precure: It started out a little weightless and weird, but by about episode 12ish the characters were really, really enjoyable, and it was fun to just hang out with them week to week. Plus, rad baking tips.

Honorable Mentions
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: I liked it as I was watching it, but it seemed like for every funny joke or sincere character moment there was a criminally unfunny joke or some weird thing that really didn't need to be there. There were some good moments, though, and KyoAni's as strong a studio as ever.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie: Likeable and warm, but the romance never really felt as natural to me as it could have.

Love Live Sunshine Season 2: I liked Season 1 a lot, I just haven't gotten around to this show. I'm sure I'd like it. TBH If I had watched it there's a decent chance it would knock off KiraKira.

Ancient Magus Bride: I like the manga a lot, but I didn't touch the anime. so hey.

Shion no Ou: This didn't air this year but I watched it this year and it's insane in a good way. A mute girl plays shogi to avenge her parent's murder but mostly everyone just sits around talking about how sexist the culture around shogi is. the op is a weird grunge rock song. please watch this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

post your own list, you have that power

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

Rakugo and Owari so far tied in last place with zero votes. ADTRW declaring unanimously: gently caress stories.

i think most of these other anime have stories, also rakugo has a vote

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Lustrous gives a lot more thematic meat to chew on, on top of being gorgeous. there's definitely some recency bias but if we're really going to equate the two because of setting/premise, i feel like there are ways Lustrous edges it out. weigh those against the underdog factor of Kemofure, i guess.
also they're almost completely different shows in terms of execution and tone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

If we're talking the animes, the action in MHA is better by nature of not being really long running like hxh
i think the action in hxh is way better in the big fight scenes tho i guess mha has its action across a much smaller timeframe, but like, hisoka vs gon or mereum vs netero blows anything in mha out of the water and i like mha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i think the action in hxh being more spaced out isn't a long running thing necessarily, hxh 2011 never really had to stall for time, its more to do with just the pacing of the story. hxh doesnt really want to be constant action, it's long periods of intrigue, or discussion, or character buildings, punctuated by huge bursts of action. even the tournament arc-ish story, heaven's arena, has lots of buildup of intrigue about hisoka and explanations of how nen works, building up to hisoka vs gon. and obviously yorknew is more about this giant game of cat and mouse than about fighting a group of bad guys, and chimera ant dedicates like 70% of its runtime to building up the ants and mereum specifically.

like yeah it's way longer than mha because there's more to go off of, but even if mha was finished and the same length as hxh, itd have more action than hxh because hxh is a lot more interested in worldbuilding, mood, etc, and the action exists mostly to punctuate that, not for its own sake.

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m hoping that the big fight scene next season approaches Meruem vs. Netero in quality - it’s of a similar scale and importance.
mha has some good people on staff but it seems to have much rougher scheduling than hxh 2011 did. season 2 patched it up a bit but there were still palces where some shots just felt rushed? hxh 2011 felt really smooth in comparison, with only really heaven's arena and greed island having any noticeable instances of corners being cut. i hope they can pull off something really good with the season 3 stuff since i love that arc in mha, and they've done some great stuff in mha, but it might just not be possible to reach the levels hxh 2011 did. idk, we'll see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

To this day it still baffles me that HxH is still considered "Jump" taking into account how... bleak can Togashi's handiwork get.
i mean keep in mind stuff like hnk with post-apocalyptic gory head explosions is what made jump popular to begin with. plus by the time the chimera ant arc started jump's readership was already 40% adults.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

HnK is bleak and a ton of people die but Kenshiro and co are always the good guys, in contrast everyone in HxH is an rear end in a top hat likely to murder you as soon as look at you.
leorio has done literally nothing wrong, ever, in his entire life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Here's my improvement: Drop the stupid anal rules, accept votes as they are posted.
heres my rules for stupid anal:

1: take a shower first
2: always bring lube
3: NEVER say 'its goofy time'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

4: If the recipient is a woman, stick with anal for the rest of the tryst. Trying to switch to vaginal sex will end badly.

my favorite exchange on the f plus is

"What, do you think there's some magical wall that separates the anus and the vagina?"
"I - well, I don't think it's magical, no."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we'll tweet the congratulations to the first staff member we can find on twitter, who will either not respond or block us

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

studio breakdown for the 69 anime that got votes

A-1 Pictures: 5 (Ao no Exorcist Kyoto Arc, Interviews with Monster Girls, How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend.flat, Fate/Apocrypha, The Idolmaster SideM)

Doga Kobo: 3 (New Game!!, Hina Logi, Gabriel Dropout)
Deen: 3 (Konosuba S2, Hozuki's Coolheadedness S2, Rakugou S2)
Sunrise: 3 (Ironblooded Orphans S2, Love Live Sunshine S2, Gundam Build Fighters Battlogue)
Silver Link.: 3 (Restaurant to Another World, A Sister's All You Need, Armed Girls' Machiavellianism)
Toei Animation: 3 (Digimon Appli Monsters, Kira Kira Precure, Tiger Mask W)

Shaft: 2 (March Comes in Like a Lion S2, Owarimonogatari S2)
Bones: 2 (My Hero Academia S2, Blood Blockade S2)
Madhouse: 2 (ACCA, All Out!!)
Wit Studio: 2 (Attack on Titan S2, Ancient Magus' Bride)
P.A. Works: 2 (Eccentric Family S2, Sakura Quest)
Bandai Namco Pictures: 2 (Gintama., Heybot)
Studio Gokumi: 2 (Tsurezure Children, Yuki Yuna Hero Chapter)
Lerche: 2 (Kino no Tabi, Scum's Wish)
J.C. Staff: 2 (Shokugeki S3, Minami Kamakura)
MAPPA: 2 (Inuyashiki, Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul)
UFOtable: 2 (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu, Tales of Zestiria the X)

Orange: 1 (Land of the Lustrous)
Trigger: 1 (Little Witch Academia)
Kinema Citrus: 1 (Made in Abyss)
White Fox: 1 (Girls' Last Tour)
Signal. MD: 1 (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
Kyoto Animation: 1 (Dragon Maid)
Actas: 1 (Princess Principal)
Yaoyorozu: 1 (Kemono Friends)
Production I.G.: 1 (Guruguru)
NUT: 1 (Tanya the Evil)
Satelight: 1 (Symphogear AXZ)
Shuka: 1 (Natsume S6)
TMS Entertainment: 1 (Ninja Girl and Samurai Master)
Pine Jam: 1 (Gamers)
8bit: 1 (Knights & Magic)
WAO World: 1 (Animegataris)
Seven: 1 (Ai Mai Mii)
Haoliners Animation League: 1 (Centaurs' Worries)
David Production: 1 (Sagrada Reset)
Diomedea: 1 (Aho Girl)
SANZIGEN: 1 (ID-0)
Project No. 9: 1 (Girl Beats Boys)
Creators in Pack: 1 (Love is Like a Cocktail)
TROYCA: 1 (Re:Creators)
ILCA: 1 (Sengokuchojugiga)
Millepensee: 1 (Teekyuu S9)
Feel.: 1 (Tsuki Ga Kirei)

Takeaways:

Shoutout to A-1 and their loving coalition of chaos. if anyone had voted for granblue and/or blend s it would have been even more hilarious.
TMS got snubbed the most, they had like seven shows this year and only Ninja Girl got any votes, though Laughing Salesman got mentioned a couple of times.
Shoutout to Toei Animation, which managed to get 3 shows on the list with a total of 3 votes. They also managed to make the show ADTRW voted the worst this year, Kado, while they were at it. So they were really firing on all cylinders.
JC Staff had like 3 shows that got multiple mentions but no actual votes, including Alice & Zouroku, a show with 5 mentions and no votes, which I'm pretty sure makes it the most almost-but-not-quite voted for. Which probably merits some kind of prize.
Unlike last year, a studio had multiple shows in the top ten. Let's give a big round of applause to Deen, for bringing us KonoSuba and Rakugou this year. And also Hozuki, I guess?
David Production made ADTRW's second best anime last year and got a single vote this year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

Studio NUT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mercrom posted:

making fun of africans is like making fun of 4 year olds or retards. never punch down.

russians are like adults with agency though so its ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:thinking:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i wouldnt be surprised if they cut best couple just so they weren't accidentally advocating pedophilia again

though apparently the initial draft of the poll that they sent out to other anime news sites had nanashi from MiA as an option for best girl, even though nanashi isnt gendered :thinking:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

lmao what?
one of the best couple nominees was the guy from erased, whos a 30 year old who gets brought back in time to his child self, and the like ten year old girl hes trying to save. he specifically tells himself that he has to erase whatever crush he had on her at that time from his mind because itd be insanely hosed up for him to even blush while looking at her. best couple.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hrm... yes... i DEFINITELY paid to watch anime, legally *said while a FBI veteran holds a 12-gauge to the base of my spine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

And the finale. See you in 2018, ADTRW~

PERMABANNED

• Locked thread