Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

kater posted:

Rakugo and Owari so far tied in last place with zero votes. ADTRW declaring unanimously: gently caress stories.

Your

List

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Studio NUT

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

drat I haven’t watched as much anime as I used to due to finishing school and having a job that doesn’t allow me to stay up until 4am every night binging anime.

5. The Eccentric Family 2: A great anime about a family of Tanuki and how they interact with each other and society as a whole after the death of their influential father. Definitely one of the more thoughtful and heartwarming anime of the year and its themes are all winners. It’s a great follow up to the first season and I hope to see more of these characters in the future.

4. ACCA: A compelling story with intrigue and politics as it follows one man going around auditing(?) the different regions in his country. There is also lots of cigarettes, cake, and one of the best OPs ever.

3. Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai (AKA Zaregoto): Not in the list provided in the op but it’s a 8 episode OVA that started in 2016 and finished this year. It’s an anime by Shaft and an adaption of a Niso Isin work which should give you a decent idea of what you are getting into. Yes, its kinda horny and gazey but not on the same level as -gatari, also the main girl is 19. Technically a murder mystery but I didn’t find that to be the main draw of the story. The main characters worldview and how his interactions with the other characters in the story challenge it where the real meat of the story lies. The 2 last episodes are things of beauty and totally worth experiencing.

I had a hard time deciding between these two which was the best anime of the year.

2. March Comes in like Lion: A good anime about a sad boy who plays professional shogi. The highlight is definitely his interactions with three sisters who become a sort of surrogate family for him. Also how he deals with and handles his depression, isolation, and loneliness. The Shimada arc was great; focusing on what shogi means to him and what he has sacrificed to pursue his dreams. Absolutely amazing.

1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: The biggest snub of last year. A great second half that focuses on the decline of Rakugo and how it manages stay afloat in a time when people have moved on. Also feelings of grief, resentment, and moving on. A masterpiece of storytelling. It’s portrayal of Rakugo, an art form I had no knowledge of prior to watching it, is completely fascinating and I wish it was more popular in the west.

littleorv fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 26, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My suspicions tell me you tried too hard in school

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My hypothesis is that people are horny for gems but I won't do any research or testing

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I was genuinely pissed off with the implication made at the end and really wish they hadn’t done it.

It hardened my soul and almost had the honey and clover ending bounce off me

Almost...

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

rules ftw

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

actually I don't have to do poo poo, and I'm not informing anyone of anything new, I just happen to see which votes are invalid because I count them up, and am happy to do the extra work to give people a second chance to vote because it's always so close.

Everyone is perfectly capable and allowed to vote for things that aren't on the list, it's just bad data, and I wouldn't be a statistician without knowing how to deal with it.

And just to be clear, it wasn't arbitrary disqualifications, it was me asking all of you to reduce the amount of work I have to do, because now I have to validate every single one of your movie/ova votes (and figure out what you're even voting for in the first place since I don't know all the names and nicknames and japanese titles of all the movies) but now I'm doing that work anyways, so maybe just be happy about it or suggest some improvement.

I'm sorry I voted for an OVA my friend.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not part of my anime of the year list but I want to give a shoutout to the two Yuasa movies released this year; The Night is Short, Walk On Girl and Lu Over the Wall. Night is Short in particular is amazing while Lu has some really visually interesting sequences.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Here's my improvement: Drop the stupid anal rules, accept votes as they are posted.

You seem unpleasant

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

heres my rules for stupid anal:

1: take a shower first
2: always bring lube
3: NEVER say 'its goofy time'

What if I'm a member of the goof troop?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My hipster vote for zaregoto stays!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Allarion posted:

Wonder how long it'll take before people watch it like they did Katanagatari

From this we can deduce that Vostok won't watch it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

We're "missing" about ~20 votes (compared to last year), and it's like effectively a 6-way tie from 2nd to 7th.

Please vote if you haven't yet!

The forums dying, could

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Don't use Twitter

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Studio NUT

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Grownup adult shows ftw

Adbot