Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Ya, I usually burn out on endless games pretty fast. It might be nice to have that option as a scenario, or mod if they allow those later, but I liked the scenario driven content of This War of Mine, and this seems like the same sort of game albeit with city-building instead of side-scrolling shelter building.

Everything about the look and feel of this game looks amazing. I tried Surviving Mars and found it so...plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Xaris posted:

A question about the Worker Assignment: the Hunters Hut seems to only from from 18:00 to 6:00 right? And regular buildings typically 8:00-18:00 or something. So should I be assigning max workers to Hunters Hut at night, and then setting them to 0 during the day and working on something else?

e: Also what does Gathering Post do exactly? It wasn't really clear to me. I almost screwed myself badly by eating up all the wood and not having Sawmills ready.

I'm kind of surprised how dead both this thread and Steam one is about it. I guess everyone's playing Battletech but it seemed like a fairly high profile game.

I've been way too busy playing the game to take any time away to post. I'm enjoying it. Beat the main scenario on Normal, now trying the Refugees one on Hard and it's a lot rougher...really makes me consider my actions and balance everything more.

I believe you can re-assign people back and forth from the Hunter's Hut, but the danger is that they like to take breaks to eat after they return from hunting. I've tried this and had my sawmill stand idle for 2-3 hours while they took breakfast break. There may be some way around this, or there could be other issues...I usually just keep my workers in the hunter's huts full time.

Gathering posts are insanely good. They're slightly more efficient per worker than just assigning directly to resource piles, and they provide insulation protecting you from that cold and avoiding early sick people. I usually try to get 2 up ASAP covering as much as possible, while any remaining workers try to strip any piles the gathering posts can't reach before the first temperature drop hits.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Well, just lost The Arks scenario on hard by 200 coal. Screw you New Manchester, your captain is a lazy bastard.

Once you figure out a few gotchas or tricks, normal mode is a bit of a joke to win, but hard mode is nicely challenging.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Ya, I beat the main story on normal and switched over to hard right away. I'd watched a bunch of streams before hand up to day 10 or so, so hadn't gone in completely unprepared. Beat all 3 scenarios on hard, and got all the achievements accept Golden Path (bugged for some people it seems) and "Bread and Games" (bugged for everyone).

I personally found the Refugees scenario the hardest on Hard. A New Home becomes fairly easy after the first 10 days if you manage to get ahead of the curve, and after figuring out some tricks on hard The Arks was pretty easy. Keeping up with the massive waves of people in the Refugees though really pushed me more than the other scenarios did. And ya, I've found the dogpiling wood hard early on is critical. You need so much of it for buildings, and research constantly wants it and you do NOT want to be wasting time not researching stuff do to lack of wood.

My only complaint right now about FrostPunk is I want to play it more but I've run out of stuff to do. Give me more scenarios! Discontent rises!

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Jack2142 posted:

People I think eat one meal a day unless starving and they eat two

So using the base Hunter Hut on Normal gets you 15 raw food

In the Cookhouse you can convert each raw food into 4 meals base, 5 "soup" (actually probably needs to be renamed gruel), 6 Sawdust

So 60(R)/75(S)/90(SW)

If you get the improved hunting it goes up to 20 raw food

So it becomes 80(R)/100(S)/120(SW)

Once you get fliers it jumps up to 30 raw food

So it becomes 120(R)/150(S)/180(SW)

So to keep say by the endgame 750 people alive you need

6.25(R)/5.00(S)/4.16 Flying Hunter Lodges to not run a deficit of food more if you want or need to stockpile.

Hate to mess up your math, but the ratio is 2 raw : 4 meals, or 2 raw : 5 meals with soup. So on hard with no upgrades, 1 Hunter's Hut (13 raw /day) provides food for 26 people while taking up 15 people for the job.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Cheston posted:

Someone make a mod that lets you order Overcrowding for child shelters.

(I remember hearing this game was supposed to be very moddable. Did anything come of that?)

They've said they have some interest in allowing/supporting mods, but it wasn't on the table for release. My biggest issue with child shelters is the drat things don't benefit from any insulation upgrades, so by late game are constantly freezing and I feel terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Jamsque posted:

Nah, you don't need safe kid jobs even on hard, in fact I think the research speed bonus from the child shelter tech path is more valuable

I've been really struggling trying to do a 'clean' run of Refugees (no deaths, save all the lords) on Hard without using Child labor. You start with so few people that it seems almost required to leverage the children at the start.