Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, I bought these game a couple days ago, failed scenario 1 and 2 once because I could get enough coal in time for the final storm, then won first scenario twice. It's very nice, if a bit short for a village builder, though they posted on steam about adding more scenarios now. Also, a possible endless option, which might be interesting as a randomly generated scenario with multiple possible storms so you have to pick your poo poo up after each one.

Also lol @ "neighbourhood guard, watchtowers, but i think we never crossed the line". Yeah, sure, buddy.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm seeing things which indicate it was cut? Shame if true.

It probably was, though some things only show up as events if you're doing incredibly bad I think. There's an achievement for staying in power after people want to overthrow you and nearly 30% of steam has it, but I don't even know how bad things have to be for that to happen, even on my first playthrough my people just froze to death rather than think about revolting.

fake edit: game hasn't crashed for me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To even hope of surviving to the end, you kinda have to get all the way down the tech tree and research about 2 techs there I think, possibly 3.

First priority after the first day resource rush is tents, and then 2 workshops imo. Add two more when you get the extra colonists, and always be researching something. Have all 4 workshops work on extended shifts permanently. Having children help with engineers seems to be not as good as helping in hospitals tho.

Jamsque posted:

Also the easiest solution to the food issue is not soup or sawdust or hothouses but rather leaving everyone you find in the Frostlands to die in their holes.

I had like 10 hangars by the end of my best run through scenario 1, thousands of spare raw and made food rations by the time the storm hit, still had ~150 workers doing nothing. I could've easily employed them in coal thumpers if I was lagging in coal production. The extra workforce is worth a shitload, compared to the extra hunter hut you'll build for each 2-3 new waves of refugees imo.

Also, hothouses require steam cores, which are probably better spent in coal mines and infirmaries.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jamsque posted:

You are not the first person I have seen advocating building tents on day 1 and I think you are dead wrong
Yeah, probably. I just like building tents first to get rid of the red bar at the bottom. They'll be livable temperature for no coal during the first days so you can ignore coal completely, and you don't need to run the generator at all until the first cold hits. Tents, food house, workshops, medical post, and a couple gathering posts can be afforded after the first day of gathering, then 2nd day you start researching, building hunter huts, etc. The raw food you start with lasts you two days anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Acute Grill posted:

Getting the Good End in the refugees scenario had me run head-first into a problem that I genuinely wasn't ready for: running out of space.

I just finished the refugees game and what I had was a max range upgraded generator with 4 rows of tents around it. That did the trick for beds, then all the infrastructure poo poo that works with heaters was on the outside.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty easy to play and it's very much not a RTS in that you can always just pause and give orders if you feel overwhelmed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
storm starts at a set time regardless of when you clear the londoners event I'm pretty sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Some people will get sick on day 0 regardless of what you do because they were gathering all that drat wood without a gathering post, so it was chilly out. I'm not 100% sure how game generates sick people, but I think it rolls for sick during the night, depending on their heat environment during the last 24h?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On normal I always just start with tents and keep heating off until it starts getting cold. Not having to pick up coal makes wood much more abundant early.

I basically perfected my normal game now though, so I'm moving on to hard now. Gonna see what all the fuss is about :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Steam hubs are more coal efficient, so no.

e: It's actual temperature, and a portion of that snow is dry ice imo :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 10, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
quote is not edit

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I finished all 3 scenarios and only found out when I read that post, lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Helps jam some workshops between your rows of tents easier, which is nice because it means your research crew will never get sick thanks to the good insulation on them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Normal shifts (10/24h) are 41.666% efficiency, extended shifts (14/24h) are 58.333%.

Automatons start at 60% and go up from there with research.

The only reason not to build automatons is steam core cost. On new home it probably pays off more using most of your cores to upgrade your coal mines, since they're not as abundant as in the other two scenarios.

Also, I now skip sawmills completely and go straight for wall drill. Manpower is precious early, which is when you also need wood quickly the most, and the first wall drill is already more efficient than sawmill with the first upgrade IIRC, and on the same research level as said upgrade.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welp. I finished arks on hard (easiest scenario imo, so I went for that first), without building any tents too to get that achievement.

Only got the 15 automatons achievement. :<

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The ratio is like 1.95:1 or so to begin with, but 10% this or that way won't change things appreciably. Also you need 4 gathering posts to support a steam thumper. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to say, fully upgraded automatons in workshops are hilarious. Did another run of new home, put up the steam core outpost asap, put automatons everywhere, researched every single tech, ended the game with ~10k surplus food, 30k coal, enough infirmaries to house a quarter of my 700 people for when the storm subsides.

Being that cold out sure is nice because the food never spoils :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's both freeze less and more efficient.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think you get like 80% back. It's pretty ok.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Hmm. Can unassigned automatons build buildings?

Yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Coal thumpers generate ridiculous amounts of coal, and unlike the mine they don't need steam cores so you can crank out more automatons. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unless you're playing on hardest difficulty, it's fairly easy to never get a dead person in which case pits aren't an issue :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the londoner crisis is surmountable without enacting laws, but you'll probably lose a few dudes that go out into the white and die

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

skeleton warrior posted:

most of the scenarios actually give you too many people so it doesn't actually address your real problems.

Idle hands that are in warm insulated houses are way better than sick hands tho :v:

Even in scenarios where you can easily crush everything with just manual labour, having a few robot that work in far away places can significantly lower your coal usage if nothing else.

QuarkJets posted:

iirc, you can't even build hunter huts on The Arks

Yeah, that's correct

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I am going to be /extremely/ happy if this happens lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-kClSmp0yI

shiet.

this looks like a minor update rather than a big expansion, but for 5bux i know what i'm gonna be playing tonight

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wait, they added an endless mode with no generator?

i know what i'm spending my money on. does the generator get built eventually, followed by worse storms or is it permanent "last autum" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think that area is used for various "infrastructure" props while you're building the generator, but then once it's done it doesn't get reclaimed, which feels like an oversight

IIRC, it's been years at this point. it was definitely my fav "scenario" tho because you need to rush insulation to get through the early weeks so it's quite different from the others