Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rookersh posted:

While that stuff is cool, I do hope they also have normal/positive things you can do, which make the game significantly harder.

If it's just all misery all the time, it's going to be a very significant one trick pony of a thing.

Your city has hope and discontent meters that have to be managed. So it comes down to where you want to make trade offs. If you ban child labor and order a school built for the children it will raise hope and lower misery, but you deprive yourself those workers and have to devote resources to actually building it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You can also opt for giant mechanical spiders to do your bidding as well. I hope they step on some folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgJeLskhmo

I saw something about these. An interviewer asked if they might rebel and go on killing sprees, to which the developer responded "if you are asking, you already know the answer." It may have been a joke, but given what I know if the game already, I suspect not.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rookersh posted:

That's literally where all the game longevity comes from.

Like yeah, haha I said cannibalism is ok and built a child labor hut! I'm the monster haha will be fun for oh let's say exactly a game.

But "Oh hey, I genuinely want to keep these people safe. Ok, I can't just do all the "good" options so I'll have to make some concessions for the greater good. Ok well we can eat sawdust food for awhile until we get some better hunters out there. This'll be a short term thing. But I'm going to get a school up and focus on education so it helps us later. I hard draw the line on child labor/exploitation."

There is a huge difference for the length of a game between "I am cancelling elections because I know I'm unpopular right now, but I'll fix that as soon as I get xyz working, and we can have elections again after that." and "Haha I can cancel elections, let me just hit that, gently caress these people #assholesim.". It's the reason I still play Tropico 3 every now and again, I always play democratic/good/nice, but sometimes I'll do something unpopular the Island needs, and people will gear up to vote me out, so I quickly drop elections/fake the elections just so I can stay in power a bit longer. Because El Presidente DOES want free elections, but El Presidente needs to finish this thing up first.

I suspect that going maximum fascist or maximum carebear will, in either case, result in a quick game over. The Tropico series seems like a good point of comparison since it has such a strong focus on the ethical components of the decisions you make for your society, and where if ever do you draw a line. Though Tropico is very tongue in cheek and this looks like they are playing it 100% straight.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pirate Radar posted:

They’ve said there is an end point you reach in the story, and that based on their testing first-time players will probably reach that within 50-60 in-game days.

Huh. Given your building a city out of next to nothing in a frozen hellscape, I would expect it to take longer than 2 months.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It there a set time the refuge from Winterhome shows up if you don't explore the city first?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait, did tesla city have a thing? I explored it, my guys ran around the lightning traps and said it scared the crap out of them, then they went on with their lives; I ended the game with probably 10-20 steam cores, most picked up 1-3 at a time from scouting events.

I don't know if it's random or not. When my dudes explored it, they disabled the lightning trap, and it turned into an outpost spot where steam cores could be harvested at the rate of 1 per trip.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Bogart posted:

They are alive and they deserve to be acknowledged. In Frostpunk 2: Gettin' Chilly With It, the automaton rights bill will

Earlier in the thread someone said they got an event where they executed an automaton for reading subversive literature. I hope that's true.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

QuarkJets posted:

I agree, hunters are generally just better. Hothouses do have some upsides, in that they run at all times of day and require fewer workers while producing a good deal of food. I get the impression that the game wasn't originally going to let hunters provide a limitless and very regular food source, but the developers chose to focus on making other systems more fun instead

Yeah, just on a thematic level, it's weird that the entire society can be supported exclusively by hunting game in such a desolate area. Even more so when the temp starts getting ludicrously cold. It would make more sense as a supplement for other food sources, at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Fister Roboto posted:

Why isn't there a research option that lets my automatons work at the pub?

As prostitutes?

Now that's a good post/username combo, right there.