Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

This game manages to give me a genuine adrenaline rush when playing solo and this is coming from a guy who used to be really into competitive counter-strike.

Squads is also really fun but for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

from the last thread: this is what a typical squad chicken dinner looks like. in case anyone was wondering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql06jmFbTes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

CascadeBeta posted:

I actually unmute global chat after dropping out of the plane for the off chance that someone left their mic open while trying to sneak up on me. It's happened once so far, so I'd say it's a good habit to get into.

Sometimes you get to hear people rage after you kill them too. A few months ago I think I killed a streamer because it sounded like he was bitching to his audience about, 'of loving course i die to an UZI what a cheap piece of poo poo use a real gun rear end in a top hat'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

The plane and parachuting have been improved, yeah, but the red zones are still loud and scare me :(

edit: also not saying that that's a bad thing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fuzz1111 posted:

Has anyone else found that red-zones seem to respawn in same spot a lot more since patch? Last game I was stuck in a single building for ages because redzone spawn in same spot 3 times, and there were no other buildings nearby. Needless to say going from 65 people alive to ~40 without looting meant I was pretty I'll equipped for first fight I got in.

It does that sometimes. I remember that happened to me in one of my first games like six months ago.

RNG!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I'm genuinely surprised that they're still going

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

HatfulOfHollow posted:

What is goonmanning? I’m assuming this is something that happened in the discord. Should I join the discord?

it's a private cs:go goon server mostly used for competitive style pickup games

there's been an active population big enough to keep it running for- poo poo over five years now?

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635620

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

Because SSDs still cost a bunch of money for large disk sizes. Smaller ones get eaten up fast if you keep several multiplayer games around. Plus if you buy a bunch of poo poo off iTunes that ends up eating space as well. I'm not switching entirely to SSD until they have 2 gig ones for like $100.

In case anyone isn't aware- if space is a concern you shouldn't be placing multimedia like movies or music on your SSD. You get very little if any performance gain from it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

aniviron posted:

Death cam is pretty useful for knowing if you died to a cheater or just someone who was good. Had yet another game last night where I died to a full auto burst of nothing but headshots; but it was only about 50m away, and in theory a very good player could do that. Of course, watching the replay I somehow started to doubt that when the view showed him just snapping back and forth to my duo buddy and I through walls until someone peeked.

Nah the replay functionality is real janky and almost everyone looks like they're cheating with it. It's only useful if you get killed unexpectedly and want to know how you hosed up.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

If they don't region lock I hope they at least establish some sort of prestige system like other games where if you have hundreds of hours you're only lined up with other players with a large enough amount of time to filter out most of the hackers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xw9tD5Z4aM

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Soarer posted:

I believe that's counted as a miss. Why sometimes if you get a bad shot where they're only half in your cross hairs and it feels like they should have at least taken some damage it just does nothing.

This answers so many questionable engagements I had where I’d winged someone a few times and ultimately did zero damage.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

AppleDan posted:

Can't wait to see what's said about this one https://gfycat.com/VictoriousBogusHammerheadshark

On top of the no-recoil the biggest tell is that after making a shitload of noise he immediately puts his gun away to run for a loot box that's at least 200 m away. So he clearly has no idea what he's doing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Thom P. Tiers posted:

level 2 pack and no kar98, plus he's got 2:30 til the blue moves in

he doesn't even bother to reload or at least wait a *few* seconds to scout things out to see if anyone else is around. that's literally a 'this is my first day playing this game' tier mistake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I don't think I've run into a hacker yet although last night I had a pre-teen call me a jew after I killed him so I'm making progress

edit: So why do the hackers vastly prefer TPP mode, anyways? In the beginning the leaderboard explanation sort of made sense but you think they would have spread out a bit by now.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 2, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Grats to PUBG for winning Steam's "Mom's Spaghetti" award!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I'd accidentally disabled my mic recording on this one so you can only occasionally hear me via someone else's mic. Doesn't have that much of an impact on the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3R_Y8sgY7A

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jerkface posted:

You both stand up and move slightly apart and find him. Gotta be ready to stomp the worm.

Problem is if he has a suppressor you see zero muzzle flash

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

revolther posted:

This game has literally one objective for victory, stay alive. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

this is a common misconception but no. the objective is to make as many other people lose as possible. winning is the icing on the cake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

DrNutt posted:

I love watching my replays because I'll be all "poo poo I can't see where that's coming from" and then flail wildly and get shot to death, and then on the replay I can see the enemy plain as day. I am really bad at spotting people in the heat of the moment.

Take a look at your graphics settings. I forget the name of the one setting it's something like bloom or after effects or w/e but it's what gives muzzle flash its 'pop' and should be at the highest setting you can get away with.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i want them to add camera shake to red zones :twisted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Matazat posted:

I generally don't pick up the non-sniper crate weapons so I didn't rate them.

You should. The Groza and Aug are insanely good. Same goes for the M249 but it's a bit of a hog

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Matazat posted:

I should, but I generally don't see them until late in the game and by then I'm done looting and I'd rather stick with an AR that I'm already comfortable using. The snipers all shoot more or less the same but the ARs have different rof/spread/recoil/etc that makes a big difference.

If there was a test range where I could try them all out freely then I might be more keen on picking them up (cmon blue hole)

Jerkface posted:

The Aug, Groza, and M249 are basically better versions of your other guns that shoot faster, have lower recoil, and better spread. You don't need to do get used to them, think of them like fully fitted M4s.

Yep. There's no need to get used to the Groza or Aug. Leave it on auto unless you're at 50+m in range in which case you should be using your scoped rifle anyways. Simply put your crosshair on your target and click. Both of the crate ARs will have several bullets out before you're off target. If that first burst didn't kill your target you have a very small distance to recover to fire another. It's disgusting how effective they are.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

In other news I think I'm circling around from the Vector back to the UMP as my preferred SMG. The big problem is that it actually fires too quickly. At the ranges you're typically engaging in your target will likely be strafing and if firing full auto you'll be out of bullets by the time you're able to compensate and get back on target. The UMP is much more forgiving in this regard.

Basically if you're using a Vector you should never ever have it set to full auto. It still fires insane fast if you rapidly click on burst mode. Still deciding if I like Vector on burst or UMP on auto more.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol if you haven't been saving your BP so you could buy up a bunch of new crates and immediately sell them for stupid amounts of money.

come on guys we've seen this pattern repeat itself how many times across how many games?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

Uhh the crates will be hot for weeks because of the limit, so save up more than 22K or whatever.

yep

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Use the Aug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD4xbMyYNOc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Dude is the living embodiment of the Good Vibes™ Bushido code that we should all strive towards.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Varkas posted:

Keep in mind that replays/kill cams are not a 1-to-1 representation of a user's actions--in particular where they're aiming exactly at a given moment. I wouldn't conclude that he was slam dunk cheating just from that recording alone. I'd say you should watch your whole replay for that game of the guy to get a better sense.

But that K/D ratio is pretty suspect.

It would have been better if he'd have posted a replay with xray enabled but I'm pretty sure he's using his aimhack as a wall hack in this instance. The part where he sprays the side of the wall while aiming up the stairs despite not seeing anyone is basically the tell there.

No clue why you'd do that instead of just turning on wall hacks but w/e

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

underage at the vape shop posted:

same

anyone who says this has 0 critical thinking skills and you should ignore them

E:

The compensator and flash hider are straight up far better because of the recoil reduction. Silencers get less bad the further range your gun is, the only situation they are best in slot is on a bolt action sniper, where recoil reduction is irelevent.

The advantage of a supressor is that it reduces the range enemies can hear you, but the sound still travels a long way with one. Meaning, you are only going to get anything out of the silencer at longer ranges. At these ranges, you are going to have a tough time hitting someone, and as soon as the bullet lands, they are going to scramble, which makes it even harder to hit them, let alone down/kill them. With a little bit of experience, you can easily figure out the direction someone is shooting from, meaning they will know where you are, completely negating any advantage of the supressor. The lack of recoil reduction also means that you have to spend more time adjusting between shots, which means more time fighting, more time tunnel visioned on something far away, more time for someone close to sneak up and catch you off guard. Long range fighting is bad in general.

Close - medium range, where they can hear you anyway, the recoil reduction of the other two is far more important than far away enemies hearing you. If you get in a close range fight, its very likely the enemy won't have a supressor and everyone in range is going to hear gunshots from them anyway. At these ranges, fights are all about bursting down your enemy before they duck back into cover, and the supressor doesn't help with that at all.

The only time supressors have any sort of advantage is in scenarios where you typically don't want to be fighting anyway, they just aren't good in a game with realistic-ish balistics and arcadey health mechanics.

Very underappreciated aspect of suppressors is that they totally 100% hide your muzzle flash. This easily buys you extra critical moments if you're the one initiating an engagement. Once the enemy knows where you are you should switch over to a compensator if you have one.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

In my 150 hours of playing I've only nabbed an AWP once. I heard a guy sneaking up on me later that round and 180 quick-scoped him in the gut. One of my most rewarding PUBG moments to date.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I'll never understand how some goons are completely unable to consider nuance.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ll play with friends but it sure doesn’t seem like there’s a balance between “loot and play super conservatively because that wins games” and “throw a grenade one at one door and sprint around the side/back with an uzi and mag dump” since you’ll probably die and then need to do a whole extra cycle of spawning, dropping, looting, etc. Is that fairly accurate, even as I get better at the game?

Mind you I’m not trying to say it’s a terrible game, just wondering if I should keep chasing my ideals or just reserve the game to “when my buds want to play.”

You're not wrong but you're not right either. Fortunately you're on the 'correct' side of being a loot-goblin which is to say you're not being one so it'll be an easier habit for you to foster.

Essentially you want to spend the first part of the game looting your area until you have armor, an assault rifle, meds of some sort, and hopefully optics so you can aim more easily. Once that's covered you go off and start hunting people who in all likelihood are still looting so you can take their stuff.

Once you've played a few rounds like that instead of hunting for people find a vehicle and chase after crates. That's when the game gets really fun.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

It seems like they quietly fixed the 'WILDCARD BITCHES :supaburn:' bug where the plane immediately dumps everyone and that's a goddamn tragedy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

esperterra posted:

I like dropping in Michael Cera.

:mrgw:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bouchehog posted:

Earlier in the thread someone said that the suppressor also hides the flash, which I will need to check out.

Completely hides the flash. You have zero muzzle flash using a suppressor. That's the #1 reason to use one- the help to your aim and reduced sound is a bonus.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fantastipotamus posted:

Some guy schooled me last night in the closing round, he was outfitted in the ful sniper ‘oh what me no I’m just a bush’ sniper getup, and I had NO idea where he was. Never saw that outfit before (which isn’t surprising as I’ve had the game like 2 weeks).. nor, one could argue, did I see that outfit during. Ahh well.

It’s called a ghillie suit and you can only find it in crates

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I just realized that I haven't seen an adrenaline shot in the game either in crates or on corpses for months now. Were they removed?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://pubg.gamepedia.com/Adrenaline_Syringe

I think they must have made them way more rare in a beta patch several months ago because they used to be ghillie-suit rare but now I never see them but apparently they're still out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7kemHK6mkc