Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Hellsau posted:

They nerfed the 7.62 revolver to not one-shot headshot people without helmets which is real dumb.

I was wondering why I lost an engagement the other day where I opened the fight by taking someones eye out with a revolver before getting instantly killed by their shotgun at 30m. I was confused on the death screen because I could see the bullet hole in their face as they looted my body, and thought they should have died.
The new revolver is cool because its a Rhino, but I've not actually really used it.

Also, after spending the last few weeks being a total crate whore and forcing my squadmates to cover me all the time, I was finally rewarded with an AUG. Its the best AR in the game, flat out. Winning that match was extra satisfying.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The B_36 posted:

There's no pointless weapon in the game, they can all get kills. Except the crossbow, that thing is only used because it's drat near impossible to get kills with. If you surprise someone while they're looting, you can kill them with the P92 and pick up their fully kitted M4.

In a recent Miramar game, I dropped into San Martin, and killed a guy with a P92, took his SCAR, and then used that to kill another guy in his squad. Positioning is way more important than the weapons themselves, and especially if you are dropping in a fairly hot spot, you can get kills with anything as long as you play smart, ambush people, and use whatever terrain you have to your advantage.

e: that said I would think twice about grabbing the 7.62 revolver for the above reason and I've given the crossbow a fair shake and consider far too unreliable for use by someone with my reaction time and aiming ability. I got a couple potatoes with it in one game but that was an isolated incident. I still think it has the potential to be an end game pro tier final circle killer, but it really needs some kind of hit registration to be max useful.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 11, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People have played CS:GO forever with vibrance cranked to 3rd hour on acid, this won't be any different.

I played CS:GO on shrooms once.

It was, uh, an experience.

e: quoted the wrong post

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The B_36 posted:

He's saying that it's the gaps themselves that ratchet up the tension, so no, if you get rid of the gaps, then you won't have the tension anymore. Not every shooter has to follow some formula that there HAS to be action every 'x' number of seconds. Being slower paced but super intense because there's more of an investment on the line is the main appeal of the game. Wanting to take that away is like saying you like Call of Duty, but you wish they'd take out the guns.

did you read what you quoted or.

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s really unfortunate that his opinion has changed to this, considering he wants this to be an e-sport.

"there's no way this can ever be a viable esport," i think while living in a world where blizzard has conned people into investing in a league for their horribly balanced and terrible spectator fps.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Groovelord Neato posted:

"there's no way this can ever be a viable esport," i think while living in a world where blizzard has conned people into investing in a league for their horribly balanced and terrible spectator fps.

I think I said this in the gaming food megathread also but there's no way that Overwatch would have been successful based on its gameplay alone. Blizzard's investment into creating a whole world/mythology around characters that fans want to gently caress is pretty much key to their success. Without that Overwatch would be a pretty sorry sequel to TF2.

lmao at them pushing an overwatch league though

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I can't find a single thing about the new map's design that I like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pecado owns a lot but that's about it.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I bet there'd be good money in writing software that bypasses such a region lock and selling it to chinese internet cafes.

The latency is a bit of a give away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like dropping in Michael Cera.

In general tho Miramar's textures load incredibly slowly for me after the last patch, so if we drop somewhere hot I need to run around in circles or risk getting stuck in a wall/furniture while floating through a house to loot it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Carecat posted:

That was debunked it's just a helper overlay.

Much like fullbright lighting is just a cosmetic option :v:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Magres posted:

Ah, gotcha. Are they A) game legal and B) available in English? I have a loving terrible time remembering the drat plane path after I drop.

You can use http://www.planepath.net/

Sometimes I'll just use a post-it on my desk and draw something like this:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

did you read what you quoted or.

uhhhh......yeah? I don't see what you're referring to that's confusing in my response to it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

esperterra posted:

I like dropping in Michael Cera.

:mrgw:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is anyone else having trouble getting into games right now? Twice in a row I've loaded into a game with some friends and we've either been booted or loaded in underneath the map.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Games gunna be dead in a year tbh

Third person is already dead for most of us.

Just wait for the cheaters to start filing into FPP when they realize it's wide open

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I never once considered third person because there’s a hack built in where you can look over ledges and around corners. :v:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Groovelord Neato posted:

pecado owns a lot but that's about it.

Pecado isn't bad, but they need to re-work the orange 4 (or was it 5?) story hotels. There's no good way to shoot into them, and if you try the go in after people, the stairs are oriented so that when you come up, you're facing an external wall, which makes the defender's advantage even more pronounced.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I never once considered third person because there’s a hack built in where you can look over ledges and around corners. :v:

Oh man I haven't played TPP in so long now. I probably won't ever play it again, either.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I started playing prior to the introduction of FPP only servers, so switching initially felt weird

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 11, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing to ya'll newbies coming in here and talking about how you just bought the game and how you got into the top ten just by being sneaky with a pistol and shotgun or whatever, please consider this: you are loving yourselves over by pushing yourself up into rankings where you will not be able to hang until you practice more combat. Unless you are some kind of aim savant like shroud you will have a bad time when you're ranked in the top ten percent but have bottom 90% experience with gun shoot skills. Do yourself a favor and start by dropping hot.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I have a tinfoil hat theory about the changes to cheater reporting.

Supposedly, the only thing bluehole / battle eye uses reporting for is data tracking. Reporting doesn't actually result in them looking at specific people, and they never ban anyone based on specific reports.

They recently changed their out of game reporting policy. Rather than reporting cheaters in their official forums, they have asked players to report cheaters through their support form submission system, which removes cheating reports from the public view.

I think they are only adding the report function to replays to prevent people from capturing video footage and posting it to youtube or wherever else. Since you can now report from anywhere in game, they can just sweep that poo poo under the rug, rather than having people post it publicly so they can link to it in a support form submission.

It's cool to hear that they're expanding the monetization of the loot crate system so you can look good while fighting against the 5 aim bots on every server. Do you think my sweet tracksuit will be visible in a wallhack?

Scoss posted:

After listening to this week's giant bombcast, I was reminded again of this pernicious idea that PUBG hackers are partially fuelled by motivation to farm BP for crates in order to cash out a profit via third party websites.

I haven't looked closely at the numbers on this stuff but I have a very hard time believing that it actually works out economically at all. Even if you had a million BP there is what, a 6 crate limit per week? How many weeks does an egregous hacker account survive for these days? There just doesn't seem to be any way a person could make money even considering the lower game cost in china.

They also said that Hollow Knight isn't very good on the latest bombcast, so it's safe to assume that all of their opinions are baseless garbage

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

People commonly use wallhacks to let them look through hills. It's amazing how many times the death cam shows somebody staring blankly into the side of a hill so far down it they can in no way see over, popping up over the hill when you're facing away, then killing you before you realize it even happens. I think that's another reason hacky types prefer TPP; you get a bigger field of view which just makes the wallhacks even more useful.

Honestly I think the biggest tell for hacking in PUBG are all the people that have bullets that always go right where the crosshair is. It's like hey bro recoil, drop off, and spread are things that exist in this game and you aren't fooling anybody by getting a double headshot at 400m with a SCAR and a holo sight. That's especially true if you were already aiming at them before you could even see them.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Buddy and i couldn't connect at 825 est... maintenance scheduled at 9 est??
First: why can't we connect before maintenance,
Second: why are you implementing a test server after 24 hours? Crate money? Are you really that hard up for cash?

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
The discord overlay appears to work now if you go into the settings and delete all of the old iterations of the game. The days of having to look at my second monitor* are over!

(*to work out which of you is screaming at me for accidentally driving you over)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

Pecado isn't bad, but they need to re-work the orange 4 (or was it 5?) story hotels. There's no good way to shoot into them, and if you try the go in after people, the stairs are oriented so that when you come up, you're facing an external wall, which makes the defender's advantage even more pronounced.

I don't think there's a single non-unique building design in the desert map that isn't complete and total rear end. The houses all suck, the warehouses suck, the slum shanty villages all suck, and the worst thing from the old map (the giant apartment complexes) are bigger and somehow filled with less loot.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

wolrah posted:

How is it against my interests?

I don't give a gently caress what my character looks like, half the time I'm running around in my underpants anyways. How does Bluehole making more money harm me? It actually helps me in a slight way. I play the game, get BP, trade BP for crates, then sell crates to pay for other games. I've paid off the cost of the game itself, a Steam Link, and a few other games entirely by badly pretending to be a bush.

efb. Even if I couldn't make money off these dumb crates, there's a somewhat indirect correlation between bluehole's profits and the quality improvements of the game.

I took offense at the American dig. We're usually blind to capitalist intentions, but this is as close to dota's cosmetic-only model as I can find. I mean color changes are always questionable in these kinds of shooters, but, so far, all but a few make you more conspicuous rather than giving you an advantage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
3000 points isn't honestly that much in this game but drat does it feel like a steep price to change my hair color.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

For everyone who thinks the idea that anyone would cheat because of crate monetization is ridiculous, do you remember when Bluehole had to change the way BP was awarded to curb players from continually idling after they introduced the gamescom crate?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Really the best option would be to never have loot crates in the first place but it seems like every loving game has them now.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

il serpente cosmico posted:

For everyone who thinks the idea that anyone would cheat because of crate monetization is ridiculous, do you remember when Bluehole had to change the way BP was awarded to curb players from continually idling after they introduced the gamescom crate?

For reals. Do people not remember having 30+ AFKers in a game from bots farming BP?

Did they not have a weekly cap on the number of crates you could get per week back then? For some reason I thought you could just keep buying as many as you want for 7,000 BP or whatever it was.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really the best option would be to never have loot crates in the first place but it seems like every loving game has them now.

Well if it didn't make them piles and piles of cash they probably wouldn't bother

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think there's a single non-unique building design in the desert map that isn't complete and total rear end. The houses all suck, the warehouses suck, the slum shanty villages all suck, and the worst thing from the old map (the giant apartment complexes) are bigger and somehow filled with less loot.

Yea I avoid those buildings now. Earlier I went through four floors of one and came away with a stun grenade for my troubles.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

fletcher posted:

For reals. Do people not remember having 30+ AFKers in a game from bots farming BP?

Did they not have a weekly cap on the number of crates you could get per week back then? For some reason I thought you could just keep buying as many as you want for 7,000 BP or whatever it was.

Well if it didn't make them piles and piles of cash they probably wouldn't bother

You could get up to six gamescom crates per week, plus six regular ones if I remember correctly.

I think the gambling element of blind boxes also incentives people to do dumb poo poo. There are a subset of people that treat them as digital scratch-its, chasing that 300 dollar item they can put up for sale.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

il serpente cosmico posted:

Idling is far more lucrative than hacking for 0 risk at all

You arent making a profit on 7 crate rolls at miniscule odds on 15-40 usd accounts. Cashing out steam credit is basically impossible if you have a lot of accounts with small wallet values

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 11, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm glad other people are having the same experience with the desert map, it's way to easy to squirrel away in the midgame. In russia, if you wanted to camp in the centre you usually only had a couple of complexes to choose from unless the zone went to pochinki and even then, it was much harder to defend an entrenched position.

In miramar, the buildings are king poo poo because they are huge, have a ton of ways to escape but no way to really attack (i.e defenders can jump off the roof, jump out of windows, hide on the balconies while the attackers have to come up the single set of stairs) and have very good sight lines in every direction.

It makes the early game fun, and the late game is about the same, but in the middle its this big stretch of nuthin

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

DrNutt posted:

One thing to ya'll newbies coming in here and talking about how you just bought the game and how you got into the top ten just by being sneaky with a pistol and shotgun or whatever, please consider this: you are loving yourselves over by pushing yourself up into rankings where you will not be able to hang until you practice more combat. Unless you are some kind of aim savant like shroud you will have a bad time when you're ranked in the top ten percent but have bottom 90% experience with gun shoot skills. Do yourself a favor and start by dropping hot.

Eh, kinda. Honestly because the game is so heavily based on an ArmA mod after 1-2 firefights with any weapon I think you can get the hang of it. If you’re coming from other FPSes then the feel is probably weird, but after a handful of shots I got an immediate feel for it. It’s not CS or Battlefield but enough hours in DayZ/ArmA have compensated for it.

Unless you mean some kind of ELO? I don’t know how matchmaking works, but then yeah I guess I could see that. I’m sure previous experience only carries me to “Newbie+” but meh, I dunno. I get why the game is popular but even after playing it, it just hits the wrong buttons for me and I wish I could find a better spark for it.

I was the guy in DayZ trying to survive forever, not the guy trying to get an SKS and kill passers by. They took all of the elements I *didn’t* care about and forced them together to make PUBG. I also accept that I’m boring and hate fun.

e; also lol that people have found a way to monetize it. Anytime a player stands to make money you’re going to have rampant hacking, imo. I remember in the heyday of MMOs even basically dead MMOs were still flush with real money traders.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I remember in the heyday of MMOs even basically dead MMOs were still flush with real money traders.

This never stopped. If anything they just got better at it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

slap me and kiss me posted:

Suppressors are choice because they conceal you from all the goblins coming to murk you who were summoned by the sounds of a firefight.

the enemy will be shooting too, and unless you're an idiot/new, they are going to be nearby because long range firefights are a very bad idea in this game.

Most of the reason supressors suck is because they don't give you much in the ranges you actually want to be using a gun. For the cost of it taking longer to kill people with one, they make a more muffled noise that good players can and will use to figure out where you are. Even beyond audible range, you can tell what direction a shot is coming from based on context. If bullets are landing near someone, the first thing a good player is going to think is along the lines of "there is someone in this direction that is close enough to me and in a secure enough spot that they are willing to engage in a fight". There's only so many places you can be, they are going to have a pretty good idea of where you are and how to play around you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

wonder why compensators are so much easier to find. probably because they're better. that makes sense.

because in pus mind supressors should be good, but in actuality, they aren't. devs make balance mistakes all the dang time. If you just look at the concept, supressors sound really good, but they don't work like that in game.

willroc7 posted:

Maybe the average goon player gets more value out of having their position concealed than someone with arguably the best aim on the planet???

the players with the best aim on the planet take the attatchments that help them aim even better is the lesson you should take from that

its pretty telling that there are no reasons to say supressors are good other than nuh-UH

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 11, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

the enemy will be shooting too, and unless you're an idiot/new, they are going to be nearby because long range firefights are a very bad idea in this game.

Most of the reason supressors suck is because they don't give you much in the ranges you actually want to be using a gun. For the cost of it taking longer to kill people with one, they make a more muffled noise that good players can and will use to figure out where you are. Even beyond audible range, you can tell what direction a shot is coming from based on context. If bullets are landing near someone, the first thing a good player is going to think is along the lines of "there is someone in this direction that is close enough to me and in a secure enough spot that they are willing to engage in a fight". There's only so many places you can be, they are going to have a pretty good idea of where you are and how to play around you.

because in pus mind supressors should be good, but in actuality, they aren't. devs make balance mistakes all the dang time. If you just look at the concept, supressors sound really good, but they don't work like that in game.

the players with the best aim on the planet take the attatchments that help them aim even better is the lesson you should take from that

its pretty telling that there are no reasons to say supressors are good other than nuh-UH

Dog I think you are wrong about how easy it is to locate people with suppressors unless you never shoot anyone over 100 meters away.

Long range firefights happen all the time in my games, yeah it alerts people to your position but that's pretty fun, I actually don't know how you'd play PUBG if you aren't shooting every person as soon as you have a shot on them because close range firefights are a clusterfuck of lag/desync

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

I don't know. In my experience people can't pinpoint suppressors as accurately as they can unsuppressed. You fire a unsuppressed shot and everyone in a mile radius knows where you are. I have played around people using suppressed weapons and got chicken dinners. At the end of the day use whatever you want. I will be hunting for suppressors still. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man I logged in with 26,000 extra bp for some reason