Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pwItrhEZo

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Sufferings_of_the_World

Isn't it true that life is just pointless suffering?

quote:

This explains the fact that we generally find pleasure to be not nearly so pleasant as we expected, and pain very much more painful.

The pleasure in this world, it has been said, outweighs the pain; or, at any rate, there is an even balance between the two. If the reader wishes to see shortly whether this statement is true, let him compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is engaged in eating the other.

The best consolation in misfortune or affliction of any kind will be the thought of other people who are in a still worse plight than yourself; and this is a form of consolation open to every one. But what an awful fate this means for mankind as a whole!

We are like lambs in a field, disporting themselves under the eye of the butcher, who chooses out first one and then another for his prey. So it is that in our good days we are all unconscious of the evil Fate may have presently in store for us--sickness, poverty, mutilation, loss of sight or reason.

No little part of the torment of existence lies in this, that Time is continually pressing upon us, never letting us take breath, but always coming after us, like a taskmaster with a whip. If at any moment Time stays his hand, it is only when we are delivered over to the misery of boredom.

Why aren't these red pills taught in school?

quote:

In early youth, as we contemplate our coming life, we are like children in a theatre before the curtain is raised, sitting there in high spirits and eagerly waiting for the play to begin. It is a blessing that we do not know what is really going to happen. Could we foresee it, there are times when children might seem like innocent prisoners, condemned, not to death, but to life, and as yet all unconscious of what their sentence means. Nevertheless, every man desires to reach old age; in other words, a state of life of which it may be said: "It is bad to-day, and it will be worse to-morrow; and so on till the worst of all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Not sure what to tell you, forums user mr_gay_sex_fan

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Hail our lord and savior SS-18 Satan. May his cleansing fires purge us all!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

These last 5 years have taught me to completely disengage when anyone mentiona colored pills

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
I see op has picked up the book "The Conspiracy Against the Human Race" by Thomas Ligotti, which references Schopenhauer and other anti-natalist philosophers. Kind of a downer :wink:

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

That Robot posted:

I see op has picked up the book "The Conspiracy Against the Human Race" by Thomas Ligotti, which references Schopenhauer and other anti-natalist philosophers. Kind of a downer :wink:

Nah, though I've heard about that book.

I came across this stuff a few years ago when I saw some comment on a blog mention this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Never-Have-Been-Existence/dp/0199549265

It was kind of a hard read...

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
How is it morally justifiable to have children given the fact they will suffer and you can't guarantee their contentment?

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
Suffering owns and dying rules

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You should probably read his essays rather than just the excerpts because he offers redemptive qualities to living (and suicide). Suffering as a backdrop of existence is just the premise, not his conclusion.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

How is it morally justifiable to have children given the fact they will suffer and you can't guarantee their contentment?

I have a better question: who gives a poo poo?

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You should probably read his essays rather than just the excerpts because he offers redemptive qualities to living (and suicide). Suffering as a backdrop of existence is just the premise, not his conclusion.

Stop being a bitch. Schopo is all about "life sucks, lol." Just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t9HaH7Iiic

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

I have a better question: who gives a poo poo?

I can certainly understand that simple souls such as yourself who don't have a problem with just being on evolutionary autopilot can't be bothered with these momentous questions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I got something momentous for ya. It's DEEZ NUTS!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
How could someone with such a dark view of life have created so many beautiful symphonies?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

Eventually we hardwire the human brain into a dick sucking cocaine simulation and then that generation gets to watch over our species extinction.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Schopenhaur said reading too much makes you stupid because you forget how to think for yourself and I agree

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Schopenhaur said reading too much makes you stupid because you forget how to think for yourself and I agree

Doing my part itt

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

excellent point OP, and the inherent problem with united states "universities". indoctrination centers of brain-dead millenials and breeding grounds for fascism.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

namaste OP life is suffering yes but it is far from pointless my child

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
seek god, op

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I dunno man, I kinda like to take the heaps of needless suffering as a lesson to become a stronger person and try to find joy in the small things in life which make me happy. :) This guy sounds really depressed.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I know and my response is to wank in the face of it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
God is dead

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

this explains a lot. ABOUT YOU!

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Schopenhauer is fuckin brutal reading. He basically died unloved and rebuffed by anyone he ever pursued, and in many ways was like the goon before goons.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Lol that this dumb nerd doesn't get the idea that Yeah having your foot cut off feels worse than having your dick sucked feels good but...

Here's something for Yall to think about. Just don't have bad stuff happen to you and get your dick sucked as often as possible. Problem solved nerds.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

dying is gonna friggen pwn

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Lol that this dumb nerd doesn't get the idea that Yeah having your foot cut off feels worse than having your dick sucked feels good but...

Here's something for Yall to think about. Just don't have bad stuff happen to you and get your dick sucked as often as possible. Problem solved nerds.

what's with the random Y capitalization?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anguish and despair are not horrible accidents but built into the structure of life itself.

Life is finite. Every choice you make closes off the other possibilities. You are trapped in a single brief moment, filled with an inescapable longing for the infinite lives that are not to be. Regret is the core of human freedom. Every choice you make will lead to it. Every choice you don't make will lead to it. And yet, we are forced to choose. Forced to nourish our despair through a freedom we can't escape.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Cyril Sneer posted:

what's with the random Y capitalization?

I type this poo poo out on my phone son and I don't even give a poo poo enough to fix capitalization my phone doesn't do correctly.

In other words, I'm hard as gently caress

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Thomas Ligotti's the Conspiracy Against the Human Race should be required reading for all incoming college freshmen.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Good Canadian Boy posted:

I type this poo poo out on my phone son and I don't even give a poo poo enough to fix capitalization my phone doesn't do correctly.

In other words, I'm hard as gently caress

Yup, for some reason my phone thinks the word WE'LL is all caps, so all caps it is. Autocorrect needs to die.

Anyone know how to get rid of it on a Android Galaxy s8?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"The pleasure in this world, it has been said, outweighs the pain; or, at any rate, there is an even balance between the two. If the reader wishes to see shortly whether this statement is true, let him compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is engaged in eating the other."

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
*reads thread, screams internally*

Haha everything will be alright

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It is true though, work = paying bills, taxes, food etc.

Life = work = fulfillment, but at what cost to the human psyche?

something something, death and taxes win.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

It is true though, work = paying bills, taxes, food etc.

Life = work = fulfillment, but at what cost to the human psyche?

something something, death and taxes win.

American as gently caress

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah try playing Dark Souls and get back to me schofferhoffer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, sure, but thats because nitrogen is a mild narcotic so were all hosed up all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Depression is a needless state of mind, a side effect from under eating most people could treat if they truly wanted to. If they knew which macro and micro nutrients they are missing. If they had the B12. The Bone Broth.

• Locked thread