Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

How is it morally justifiable to have children given the fact they will suffer and you can't guarantee their contentment?

It's not. Having children is immoral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I read some schopenhauer like 20 years ago, but I don't remember none of it. i vaguely remember something about "the will vs appearance" or something like that. I could be way off on that though. Maybe it was "the will vs the world"? Maybe "the will" wasn't part of it at all. Maybe I'm mixing it up with neitzchie's (I know I misspelled that, but I'm not going to google it) "the will to power". Although, IIRC, neitzchie was into schopenhauer, but was critical of him, and "the will to power" was a critique of schop that he extended into it's own philosophy. Or maybe I'm getting "the will vs blank" from a book by some other philosopher whose name I can't remember (17 years of xanax use will gently caress you're memory). The other philosopher was an early existentialist I think. Kirkegaard (I know I misspelled his name, but I'll be damned if I'm going to google it) maybe? Anyways, the only thing I remember from schopenhauer was thinking that his idea of "the will" actually maps onto evolution by natural selection pretty well, but that schopenhauer presaged a lot of ideas from evolution (or at least evolutionary psychology ((which is problematic, but unfairly maligned)). But, come to think of it, I don't know whether schopenhauer wrote his stuff before or after Darwin. When did schopenhauer write his stuff. Anyways, please answer all the questions in this post OP. Or, if not you, that other guy in GBS who knows a lot about philosophy. I can't remember that guy's name either. drat xanax.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

More or less around the same time as Darwin. Probably a decade after.

Zane posted:

a lot of the german philosophers at around that time were influenced by darwin. there was a broadly new (romantic) interest in how the universe could be understood organically and dynamically rather than (enlightenment) mechanistically and statically.

Interesting. It's weird that he called it "the world as will" though.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Escape Addict posted:

I read this and I was surprised by how happy and upbeat the ending was. After all that super-depressing reasoning, he concludes that we should treat our fellow human beings nicely because they are fellow sufferers. :unsmith:
I didn't expect that from this dude.

Also ditto about them not having video games in his day. Our modern day hedonism is off the chain! His point of view needs to be revised since the lucky few with enough money can insulate themselves from suffering like a loving airlock and stuff their lives with more amusements than they have time to consume.

What good are your video games going to do you when you're 70 years old and living in a crooked nursing home and suffering from dementia and arthritis?

• Locked thread