Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to watch the series I promised other people I would watch this year.

Droyer - Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy
Davincie - Hyouge Mono
Parallax - Koko wa Greenwood and Kimagure Orange Road
Myself - Dororo

Any caretakers of Gorf Lore who know of other promises I have made can call me out if I've forgotten anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Davincie - Hyouge Mono
Myself - Dororo

Any caretakers of Gorf Lore who know of other promises I have made can call me out if I've forgotten anything
Watch k-on

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Namtab posted:

Watch k-on

I can't promise that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Oh, I should probably eat that ban from failing last year.

Well, second time's the charm:

I will complete seven VNs this year :toxx:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have 3:
  • Re-watch Slam Dunk
  • Re-play and finish the mainline (I, II, if, Nocturne, Strange Journey, IV and IV: Apocalypse) Shin Megami Tensei games
  • Get in enough shape to be able to play viola and sing at the same time.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I resolve to give the 3 episode test to each one of the shows in my crunchyroll backlog.

there are a LOT of shows in there

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I failed last year, so going to move a couple of my resolutions to this year's thread as well.

Finish Steins;Gate VN.
Finish Fate/Stay Night VN.
Watch Toradora
Watch at least two anime-spinoff films (Kizumonogataris, Madoka3, Girls und Panzer der Film, K: Missing Kings, etc.) The SAO movie will not count toward this (because I shouldn't even watch it in the first place, but I don't trust myself not to).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

The SAO movie will not count toward this (because I shouldn't even watch it in the first place, but I don't trust myself not to).
As someone who has seen the film, I recommend you to skip it completely because, while it looks prettier than... well, pretty much anything else SAO-related, it's a boring movie. Also, the guy who voices the rival is profoundly miscast. Like, Kouki Uchiyama (who has a tendency to be horribly miscast) would've been a more credible choice than the guy they ended up casting for the rival.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

I failed last year, so going to move a couple of my resolutions to this year's thread as well.

Finish Steins;Gate VN.
Finish Fate/Stay Night VN.
Watch Toradora
Watch at least two anime-spinoff films (Kizumonogataris, Madoka3, Girls und Panzer der Film, K: Missing Kings, etc.) The SAO movie will not count toward this (because I shouldn't even watch it in the first place, but I don't trust myself not to).

watch GuP der Film it's amazing

click the link it's good

The Colonel posted:

the girls und panzer movie is a solid hour of insane tank battles including a part where a tank rides on rollercoaster tracks and then shoots a ferris wheel loose so people can use it as cover while it barrels down into the enemy

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Erg posted:

watch GuP der Film it's amazing

click the link it's good

I managed to convinced someone to watch GuP based solely on that clip.

Rightly so.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Davincie - Hyouge Mono
Myself - Dororo

I am adding Dogsicle - Handa-kun to this. Lord have mercy on my soul

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched the first Gundam movie last night. It was good but it was also constant action for two.and a half hours so it kind of made my head hurt after it. I watched the second one a long time ago and remember it being a little better in that regard but we'll see

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I don't remember how many eps I started with for my resolution but I'm now at 330 left :toot:

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka 5/12
Aho Girl 6/12
Black Clover 12/51
Blend S 2/12
Carnival Phantasm 2/12
Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai San Maku Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends 2/12
Cowboy Bebop 5/26
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai 20/39
Juuni Taisen 7/12
K-On! 3/13
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond 5/12
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series 3/12
Little Witch Academia (TV) 20/25
Mahoutsukai no Yome 5/24
Mouryou no Hako 3/13
Net-juu no Susume 6/10
Princess Nine: Kisaragi Joshikou Yakyuubu 3/26
Princess Tutu 6/38
Sakura Quest 20/25
Shoukoku no Altair 1/24
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 4/13
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 2/12
Stella no Mahou 4/12
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 3/27
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 19/24

Episodes left 330

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

I don't remember how many eps I started with for my resolution but I'm now at 330 left :toot:

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka 5/12
Aho Girl 6/12
Black Clover 12/51
Blend S 2/12
Carnival Phantasm 2/12
Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai San Maku Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends 2/12
Cowboy Bebop 5/26
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai 20/39
Juuni Taisen 7/12
K-On! 3/13
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond 5/12
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series 3/12
Little Witch Academia (TV) 20/25
Mahoutsukai no Yome 5/24
Mouryou no Hako 3/13
Net-juu no Susume 6/10
Princess Nine: Kisaragi Joshikou Yakyuubu 3/26
Princess Tutu 6/38
Sakura Quest 20/25
Shoukoku no Altair 1/24
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 4/13
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 2/12
Stella no Mahou 4/12
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 3/27
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 19/24

Episodes left 330

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

How can you count episodes you watched in 2017 for a 2018 resolution

pretend I said January instead

Erg fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 17, 2018

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
How can you count episodes you watched in 2017 for a 2018 resolution

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I completed my resolution the weekend before last. It was a good show and I'm on season 4 now.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

also pretend i didn’t gently caress up quotinf you really badly

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Koko wa Greenwood everybody. It was really good although it definitely seems supplemental to the manga and not really meant to be enjoyed as something seperate since a lot of character growth and changes occur offscreen. The last two episodes were truly great but my favorite was the one with the ghost girl. Now I'm going to watch Kimagure Orange Road

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Kimagure Orange Road. I'll write my thoughts on it after I finish the OVAs and the movie but now I'm going to move onto Hyouge Mono

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I can do this. I can finish all of these series!!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I haven't played a single visual novel except doki proliferative club which I hated

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im getting banned lmao

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ive watched like 10 eps of toxx anime since my progress report but that still means i only have to watch 2 a day to finish

ignores slowly growing list of watching anime for 2018 everythings going great

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

im getting banned lmao

You gave up at one of the best parts of the game so you deserve it frankly.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Erg posted:

ive watched like 10 eps of toxx anime since my progress report but that still means i only have to watch 2 a day to finish

:tif:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

el dorito posted:

I resolve to give the 3 episode test to each one of the shows in my crunchyroll backlog.

there are a LOT of shows in there

I have done nothing but add to my backlog, so I’m certainly gonna be banned too

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Erg posted:

I only need to watch one a day and I'll still have enough te left over to watch all of Ashita no Joe at the same pace :smuggrin:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

You gave up at one of the best parts of the game so you deserve it frankly.

I'm pretty sure playing Nier Automata is self harm behavior for me but I hope some day I can play real time videogames again

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
then again I didn't care about the writing at all in the first two acts so I'm skeptical the third would totally turn me around on it

anyway yoko taro is the greatest auteur storygames man ever for the part when the operator cries about getting rejected by a girl to you

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
poo poo I really need to watch Rakugo Shinju.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I got the ovas of KOR sooner than I expected so I'm just going to finish the whole series

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have read uh... 20 or so chapters of the about 150 I set forth to. Really should get back to that reading.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Matos only enforces toxx bans if you ask him to. Ofc if you don't then you are a weak baby.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I've finished...umm...*counts on fingers* one VN.

poo poo, I'm screwed again aren't I?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Things are looking up for old Gorf. Hahaha

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Kimagure Orange Road. If you want a shonen romcom where the mc makes a decision and has a fairly definitive ending then this is the show for you! I'd say overall it was pretty hit or miss for me, much of the time I could see what an episode was going for but they would often screw up the execution somehow, or feel too constrained to a 23 minute format to really explore what they wanted to do. When it was great it was truly great however.

The supporting cast is similarly hit or miss. All of Kyosuke's family and relatives are great characters who often star in the best episodes, his five year old cousin, his grandpa and grandma and in the OVAs his teenage cousin all have memorable episodes. His friends Komatsu and Hatta however are truly terrible characters, absolutely vile. They're very accurate portraits of a particular kind of sex-obsessed, horny and gross teenage boys that are particularly obnoxious to me. I think the only time I found Komatsu funny was when he adopted an indie director persona in the Make a Movie episode. Hatta is unredeemable. The other major character, Fuusaku, who is a childhood friend of one of the heroines, is funny when he's a raging karate strongman or, in later episodes, holding great poise even in the most humiliating of situations, but when he's a pathetic doting would-be lover he's just sort of pitiable.

People tend to downplay the supernatural esper aspect but it's there the whole show. I actually liked it by the end because it le tthe show explore funny takes on tired romcom scripts, like Aya!! I have to take a girl to the Christmas Dance but I have two girlfriends!! but instead of pulling a double date he loops through time. There are a fair amount of episodes where teenage life is more important than silly powers and they make up some of the best episodes. A favorite of mine is the completely serious with absolutely no jokes episode where the cast forms a band that's shot like a student film. The show also has a truly great New Year's Special where the entire cast play in a giant monster movie, with the family cat as the monster.

I think the highest praise that can be said of this show is that after I finished the movie and reached it's definitive ending I felt like I had been shut out of the world of Kimagure Orange Road for good and that made me feel a little sad. Thank you

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

littleorv posted:

My new years resolution is going to be cementing my normie status by watching all of the Ghibli movies. I've seen a good chunk already so I just need to watch:

Only Yesterday
Pom Poko
My Neighbors the Yamadas
The Cat Returns
Tales from Earthsea
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
When Marnie was There

lol havent watched any of these

I did watch Ocean Waves though which I didn't realize was a ghibli film. Silver linings but also that movie was meh

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

You missed your chance to come to America and watch Pom poko and the Cat Returns while they were airing for ghibli fest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

after a few false starts (among others the twelve kingdoms and its impenetrable flashback arc for a character that would never appear again and that took 6 episodes) i finished cross game, crossing off the first half of my toxx. cross game starts very strong, enthusing me to go through with it at an incredible pace reaching up to 4 episodes per day. after a while though it gets bogged down by several issues. the biggest among these is the fact that several characters in it, first and foremost the cousin, who does nothing for the plot, is not liked by any character in the show and mostly just shows up and then gets treated either dismissively by every character or met with dead silence. he's a complete waste of time. the second is akane, she's just a plot device that serves to push other characters forward. while her introduction was fantastic, the show would have been better without her otherwise. the third of which is the dang cat, who only serves to waste time and entertain the 6 year olds watching (family show). the other elements to entertain the kids also got a bit annoying after a while, since at least a few minutes each ep are spend on it. i wish that time was spend on other things.

the writing is a mixed bag. sometimes its beautiful, and incredibly subtle in a way most shows with this audience don't manage. on the other hand there's a tendency to repeat other things 2, 3 times per episode. some of this is thematic with the kou, aoba parallels but others not so much. aoba's baseball issues on the other hand are handled very well and realistically, and the girls baseball arc was always fun but then... it just kinda ends. i wish they would have shown her play a real game as a team, rather than the half games she got. whereas other sports shows tend to rely on unrealistic powers, or people narrating forever while time seemingly stops all the baseball games have a nice and realistic pace to it here. i also appreciate how the cast is constantly shown practising, their talent feels earned. that said, aoba if real would be literally the best female baseball player ever and kou would be getting million dollar pro contracts with the balls they throw.

the animation is pleasant, adachi's artstyle adapts very well to anime and can be a pleasure to look at. despite its long length there's never any noticeable faults in its animation and the scant few stills are used well, rather than for budgetary reasons. adachi gets a lot of heat for his similar looking main characters, but there's an incredible amount of variety in character designs in the show, and the two that look alike do so for story reasons! he also has a good sense of humour about it, making quite a few jokes at his own expense. sadly a fair amount of those got cut in the transition of manga to anime.

anyway i was starting to get kinda down on it during the last part of the show, but the final ep convinced me to give it an 8. here's some pics of various characters so you can see the many designs in the show and adachi's success in making distinct characters without resorting to exotic hair colours or other over the top anime tomfoolery.

i missed a lot of the adult designs here as well as most rival teams cause searching through 50 eps is a bother, but you get the idea