Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like roguelikes and I'm sure some other imps do, so let's play them. What I was thinking was we'd pick a game and then give everyone a week to learn it and see who can put up the highest score. I'd like to do some older/obscure games that people haven't played before to keep the playing field even and get us all trying new stuff but that doesn't mean we can't do the classics as well. Only criteria is it needs to be an actual straight up roguelike, not a "[BLANK] with roguelike elements". Also there's a million free roguelikes so I'm not planning to pick any commercial games. (but I may reward winners with steam codes to lovely indie games!)

Let me know if this sounds like fun or if you have suggestions for challenge format or games to play. Also let me know if you have really strong preferences regarding ASCII vs. tiles and that can guide game selection. Discuss below and let's have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Absolutely. I suggest Big Busty Quest 2 on Vita. Anyone else have that?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Orville posted:

Absolutely. I suggest Big Busty Quest 2 on Vita. Anyone else have that?

Is there an ASCII option???

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Haven't played anything aside from DCSS and DoomRL recently but I'd be up to learn something else

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the roguelike of the week, every week, is nuclear throne

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

stfu

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

To clarify I'm talking tile based RPG stuff, without making any judgments on whether or not randomized twinstick shooters count as roguelikes or not.

doomRL is great cause if you played doom you know what all the weapons and enemies do right off the bat, so it would be good if we have roguelike noobs who want to get on board

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

extremebuff posted:

gently caress off weirdo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

To clarify I'm talking tile based RPG stuff, without making any judgments on whether or not randomized twinstick shooters count as roguelikes or not.

doomRL is great cause if you played doom you know what all the weapons and enemies do right off the bat, so it would be good if we have roguelike noobs who want to get on board

didnt read the straight up roguelike part, my b

Cobalt Viper posted:

gently caress off weirdo.

relax

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I say DCSS, OP.

extremebuff posted:

Lets not troll, roguelikes are, unironically, serious business.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
DCSS or DoomRL first I think. Later on something like TOME 2 would be cool to see, or a selection from those "build a roguelike" competitions that are run every so often cus those can be fun and weird.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

IVAN would be good because I think it's relatively short, or at least it was when I played it 8 years ago

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I thought IVAN was the impossible one. maybe it's short cus you always die quickly?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
IVAN just got a patch they're still working on it. Any game where you can magically transmute your arm into banana-flesh and then eat it is pretty good

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

goferchan posted:

IVAN just got a patch they're still working on it. Any game where you can magically transmute your arm into banana-flesh and then eat it is pretty good

this just made me want to play this game lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Orville posted:

this just made me want to play this game lol

I haven't played it in probably 10 years but it's got a really cool limb damage system where you can get reduced to a wriggling dismembered torso. It's also very short but brutally hard and (at least it used to be) making it past the second screen was an accomplishment . I need to check it out again

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's also got a weird material and trait-based system so any item can be made out of anything and characters and monsters can have traits like "masochistic" or whatever

code:
IsMasochist is a char.dat script tag that designates the character as a masochist. Allied masochist characters can be punished by the player so long as the player is wielding a sadist weapon (belt, whip, banana, banana peel, broken bottle, nut, bodypart). Players can also kick masochist allies with no penalty.
You cannot engage in sadism if "be nice to pets" is enabled in the options menu.
Sadists will occasionally attack friendly masochists for fun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

IVAN owns but it (or at least the version I played years ago) has an awful system where monster generation scales with your character strength, including equipment, so it basically punishes you for finding loot.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

owl milk posted:

DCSS or DoomRL first I think. Later on something like TOME 2 would be cool to see, or a selection from those "build a roguelike" competitions that are run every so often cus those can be fun and weird.

tome 2 and other noted goofy variant rocketband (where you and every spellcasting monster have a rocket launcher) can be played on a dcss style website (angband.live) as well for watching people gently caress up in real time, which is always fun

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sounds like there's some votes for DCSS, so I'll probably kick it off with that come Monday. I'm not too familiar with it personally so i'm looking forward to it.

Any thoughts on reporting scores? Save it all until the end, or post em as you go to so you can try to one up your fellow gamer?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

you should post them as you go imo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

P-Mack posted:

IVAN owns but it (or at least the version I played years ago) has an awful system where monster generation scales with your character strength, including equipment, so it basically punishes you for finding loot.

That explains why the easiest run I ever had was when I dual wielded books lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive never played any of these but Ill give it a shot.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

IVAN sounds awesome, I've never played that one.

DCSS is probably the best option because it's so easy to get into and has the added benefit of webtiles. So people can just post what server they're playing on and their username and thread watchers can see them play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ivan is terrible

• Locked thread