Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like roguelikes and I'm sure some other imps do, so let's play them. What I was thinking was we'd pick a game and then give everyone a week to learn it and see who can put up the highest score. I'd like to do some older/obscure games that people haven't played before to keep the playing field even and get us all trying new stuff but that doesn't mean we can't do the classics as well. Only criteria is it needs to be an actual straight up roguelike, not a "[BLANK] with roguelike elements". Also there's a million free roguelikes so I'm not planning to pick any commercial games. (but I may reward winners with steam codes to lovely indie games!)

Let me know if this sounds like fun or if you have suggestions for challenge format or games to play. Also let me know if you have really strong preferences regarding ASCII vs. tiles and that can guide game selection. Discuss below and let's have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Orville posted:

Absolutely. I suggest Big Busty Quest 2 on Vita. Anyone else have that?

Is there an ASCII option???

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

To clarify I'm talking tile based RPG stuff, without making any judgments on whether or not randomized twinstick shooters count as roguelikes or not.

doomRL is great cause if you played doom you know what all the weapons and enemies do right off the bat, so it would be good if we have roguelike noobs who want to get on board

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

IVAN owns but it (or at least the version I played years ago) has an awful system where monster generation scales with your character strength, including equipment, so it basically punishes you for finding loot.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sounds like there's some votes for DCSS, so I'll probably kick it off with that come Monday. I'm not too familiar with it personally so i'm looking forward to it.

Any thoughts on reporting scores? Save it all until the end, or post em as you go to so you can try to one up your fellow gamer?

• Locked thread