Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Whenever I see that protests are being held against "corruption" I assume that there's some weird right-wing element involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

so basically the Iranian government is poo poo, but not poo poo enough to topple. which is basically the same thing as a decade ago. maybe if we weren’t threatening war on them they would try and do something substantial about their government :thunk:

rouhani is somewhat of a progressive and miles better than ahmadinejad. one could even argue that he came to power with the help of the green revolution's momentum

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

from what I’ve read of rouhani, he’s been moving closer to the ayatollahs over the years. he’s still likely a progressive in Iranian terms, but it seems even the left in Iran is rallying around the flag due to the possibility of war.

correct me if I’m wrong, which I’d be happy to be.

he's definitely less of a hardliner and more inclined to engage with what are enemy countries in theory, but trump has made that harder. idk if a conservative would have signed on to the nuclear deal

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

You see, if the government of a country is bad, then every single one of the protestors must necessarily be good #theresistance

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Jan 1, 2018

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

love too conflate monarchist sympathizers with the desires of 80 million iranians

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Patrick Cockburn is a respected journalist and has always been leftist/anti-imperialist, and he believes the protests are (at least presently) largely about prices and youth unemployment. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...p-a8137051.html

I think it's safe to say that these protests have a multiplicity of motivations and that regime sympathizers would have reason to point out their more right-wing elements. I'm sure that Saudi/Israeli/U.S. elements are trying to influence the situation as much as possible.

This article makes clear that these protests started with workers' grievances and strikes in Isfahan https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/29/iranian-police-disperse-anti-government-protests

As usual with these events, I think it's reasonable to express solidarity with striking workers while being opposed to every element that tries to capitalize on discontent to fuel regime change. It's possible that the Iran's right-wing has found itself (or will eventually find itself) at the front and center of the protest movement, which would be really loving unfortunate

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

in summary, iran's protests are a land of contrasts

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

fspades posted:

yeah let's not get so crazy that these protest fueled by economic inequality and exploitation morph into an actual revolution. why yes i'm an American communist, haven't you seen my memes on twitter??

noted communist anti-imperialist rogue reza shah pahlavi

like dude i clearly do want that to happen. we should just be wary of potential bad outcomes

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

fspades posted:

god forbid if any spontaneous social protest doesn't emerge from Lenin's forehead with perfect understanding of historical materialism and correct positions on every event that happened from 1917 onwards.

any movement of this scale is a coalition of a wide-array of forces, some progressive, some reactionary. ignoring the very legitimate grievances of Iranian people for fear of imperialist powers taking advantage of the situation is defeatist and cowardly. read tudeh's statement. regardless of what you think of them it's pretty even-handed.

not that it matters. we're on a dying comedy forum.

I literally posted about those legitimate grievances

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

tired: guyz catalonian independence is a russian conspiracy

wired: guyz iran protests are a wahhabist conspiracy

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

guys im pretty sure these soviets are just a german psyop. lenin was sent back to russia to undermine the government. down with lenin and his german imperialist stooges

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

rudatron posted:

anyone with fascist leanings would already be supporting the iranian government, and not the protests, because the ideology that khomeini espouses is effectively already 'islamic fascism' (all social problems stem from a lack of piety in Islam, all other social groups that aren't muslims are inherently enemies of muslims, and should be treated as such, etc etc)

seriously, read up on the stuff he says, that's basically the long and short of it

so talking about these protests as being potentially fascistic is being incredibly stupid, that's not happening

do we really need to revive the term "islamic fascism" in 2018

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Mia Khalifa is part of the Saudi deep state

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

lotta men of culture in this METhread

Ayn Rand doesn't understand noblesse oblige

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22