Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

Kansas Man Killed In ‘SWATting’ Attack
A 28-year-old Kansas man was shot and killed by police officers on the evening of Dec. 28 after someone fraudulently reported a hostage situation ongoing at his home. The false report was the latest in a dangerous hoax known as “swatting,” wherein the perpetrator falsely reports a dangerous situation at an address with the goal of prompting authorities to respond to that address with deadly force. This particular swatting reportedly originated over a $1.50 wagered match in the online game Call of Duty. Compounding the tragedy is that the man killed was an innocent party who had no part in the dispute.

The following is an analysis of what is known so far about the incident, as well as a brief interview with the alleged and self-professed perpetrator of this crime.

It appears that the dispute and subsequent taunting originated on Twitter. One of the parties to that dispute — allegedly using the Twitter handle “SWauTistic” — threatened to swat another user who goes by the nickname “7aLeNT“. @7aLeNT dared someone to swat him, but then tweeted an address that was not his own.

Swautistic responded by falsely reporting to the Kansas police a domestic dispute at the address 7aLenT posted, telling the authorities that one person had already been murdered there and that several family members were being held hostage.

Not long after that, Swautistic was back on Twitter saying he could see on television that the police had fallen for his swatting attack. When it became apparent that a man had been killed as a result of the swatting, Swautistic tweeted that he didn’t get anyone killed because he didn’t pull the trigger (see image above).

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/12/kansas-man-killed-in-swatting-attack/

E - Police brief on officer interview
https://www.pscp.tv/LJSNicholeManna/1lPKqponlzQxb?t=9m10s

WTF

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
For the first (and hopefully only) time in my life a bideo game match has shown up in my Google news feed:

https://umggaming.com/m/4179723

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
imho there should be a licence to play videogames/use the internet

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Creamed Cormp posted:

imho there should be a licence to play videogames/use the internet

Heavily regulated too, like owning a tank or high powered explosives.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
drat they really upgraded the killstreaks in cod, I thought the dogs in waw were cool.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tomato Burger posted:

Heavily regulated too, like owning a tank or high powered explosives.

neither the internet nor videogames are covered by the first amendment if you think about it, the founding fathers only had manually operated presses

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tomato Burger posted:

For the first (and hopefully only) time in my life a bideo game match has shown up in my Google news feed:

https://umggaming.com/m/4179723

$1.50

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 30, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I feel like ihave a pretty even keel when it comes to "ayy jail forever shoot em in the heaaaad" mob thing that happens whenever something sensational happens regardless of its actual severity

but this actually makes me that mad, for some reason I dont know (in the relative sense), but seriously burn this kid. So many things have to go wrong in a society for just the concept of that happening. I actually find what that kid did more evil than somebody literally physically murdering someone in person

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

I feel like ihave a pretty even keel when it comes to "ayy jail forever shoot em in the heaaaad" mob thing that happens whenever something sensational happens regardless of its actual severity

but this actually makes me that mad, for some reason I dont know (in the relative sense), but seriously burn this kid. So many things have to go wrong in a society for just the concept of that happening. I actually find what that kid did more evil than somebody literally physically murdering someone in person

He has also swatted and called in bomb threats many times in the past and for some reason not in jail for it, allowing for this to happen

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
That article doesn't say that the guy was unarmed and they shot him because he "moved a hand toward his waistband".

You can literally call a hit on somebody because American cops.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The solution is simple; we swat him

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Here's video of it (nothing graphic)

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html

Seems like the cop just felt like killing someone

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Yeah, but was the dude black?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

"WALK THIS WAYYYY"

*innocent, unarmed man abides*

*Cop shoots the guy*

HE WAS COMING RIGTH AT US

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Reaching for his waistband?

More like putting a hand up to his face to partially block out a bright as gently caress spotlight so he could start to "Walk this way".

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Stink Billyums posted:

That article doesn't say that the guy was unarmed and they shot him because he "moved a hand toward his waistband".

You can literally call a hit on somebody because American cops.

Badass.

Everyone in America should tale a, "Not get shot by a cop" class.

Rule 1: Do. Not. Adjust. Your. Pants.

That beltline? It's a murderline. Stay away. If you want to really stay alive, drop trow, spread your arsecheeks and state, "I DO NOT PLEAD THE 2ND."

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The shooter is on paid leave, that's nice over the holiday period.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's a lot going on in this story

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Public debate about video games being baaaad starting in 3...2...1....

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I guess sending murder squads to a stranger's house to murder them isn't such a harmless prank after all,

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cubone posted:

I guess sending murder squads to a stranger's house to murder them isn't such a harmless prank after all,

Prank!!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It boggles the mind that in the US it's possible to just order a police hit on someone.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Elukka posted:

It boggles the mind that in the US it's possible to just order a police hit on someone.

hey

blue lives matter

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
cartel hitmen going hungry as murdering increasingly carried out by american police, will negative impact mexican economy experts predict

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The shooter is on paid leave, that's nice over the holiday period.

Now you know why he killed him. It is the only way to get a vacation in America

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Elukka posted:

They are paid with our tax dollars they are our employees

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Why would you give some internet dude yer address anyways? That's some poor internet decision making.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Probably why he didn't

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

call of duty should be banned. not because it caused a death, because it's a bad game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
IMO the cop should go to jail, as a murderer, for murdering. The kid should be banned from all video games for life.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kill the cop kill the kids and kill the rest of the guys family for not standing their ground

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Kill the cop kill the kids and kill the rest of the guys family for not standing their ground

Hell, kill the state of Kansas for being host to this stupid farce.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We call this just another beautiful day on God's green earth in the cops are cool and good thread.

Also, there's another thread already for this specific cool cop story.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress yea

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i wonder what SWAT would do if you just laid face down as a big non-moving X on the ground

would look really bad on the kill cam so i doubt they'd off ya

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AEMINAL posted:

i wonder what SWAT would do if you just laid face down as a big non-moving X on the ground

oh you sweet summer child

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

AEMINAL posted:

What you're supposed to do is get on your hands on and knees and slowly walk to them while sobbing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

xtal posted:

What you're supposed to do is get on your hands on and knees and slowly walk to them while sobbing

Maybe if you have a death wish

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AEMINAL posted:

Imagine 3 dudes yelling "GET ON THE GROUND ON YOUR KNEES FACE TO THE GROUND CRAWL BACKWARDS TOWARDS ME HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD SHOW BOBS AND VAGENE INTERLOCK YOUR FINGERS SHOW US YOUR PALMS KNEES BEHIND YOUR JAW" before dumping two 30 rounds magazines into you if you don't comply within a tenth of a microsecond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

All three guys have to yell opposing directions as well

• Locked thread