Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anyone have one with 'mp3 pro' support? it promised half the size at no loss but literally nobody encoded in it and, since your songs were already mp3s, you typically had to lossy recompress. the original site had some fine soundblaster style charts but the gist was it still worked for old players… at half quality, and it was proprietary so it looks like nobody really wanted to license it for the limited audience when mp3 was already small and available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

i wanted this so bad lol

im pretty sure thinkgeek carried it for a while, haha

Agile Vector posted:

anyone have one with 'mp3 pro' support? it promised half the size at no loss but literally nobody encoded in it and, since your songs were already mp3s, you typically had to lossy recompress. the original site had some fine soundblaster style charts but the gist was it still worked for old players… at half quality, and it was proprietary so it looks like nobody really wanted to license it for the limited audience when mp3 was already small and available

this made me think about weirdo audio formats. hands up which one of you filthy nerds used poo poo like musepack or monkey's audio?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

maskenfreiheit posted:

at one point my parents gave me their old ride and it had no aux BUT it had an MP3 CD player - with a 5 cd disc changer

so I had each of the 5 genres get its own 700mb

lol i'm stuck with a cd player and xm radio

no tape deck and no aux/bt

have to take off multiple pieces of trim and use spudgers just to get the head unit out too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

lol i'm stuck with a cd player and xm radio

no tape deck and no aux/bt

have to take off multiple pieces of trim and use spudgers just to get the head unit out too

i used to have a pretty solid bt-to-radio adapter but, as with most amazon purchases from china, it isnt available. they exist though. great for that awkward time between sensible inputs

for ref: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QTK9EGG

it was the only one that didnt need an audio plug for the phone and it was small enough i could hide it in the ashtray with a slim lighter plug so it almost disappeared in the dash. one of those flat types so i could use one plug for the adapter and one for the phone

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

i had completely forgotten that for a while rockbox could run on ipods, wow. it doesn't appear to run on anything really new anymore. im honestly surprised no one has put together some horrendously nerdy "open" mp3 player

the ipod classic never moved out of experimental support, but it works fine and is the best ipod so nbd

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best ipod was the 120gb video

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

i used to have a pretty solid bt-to-radio adapter but, as with most amazon purchases from china, it isnt available. they exist though. great for that awkward time between sensible inputs

for ref: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QTK9EGG

it was the only one that didnt need an audio plug for the phone and it was small enough i could hide it in the ashtray with a slim lighter plug so it almost disappeared in the dash. one of those flat types so i could use one plug for the adapter and one for the phone

i'm "generic (TM)"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

sony has some weird mp3 improvement algorithm in their thousand dollar mp3 players

https://www.sony.com/electronics/play-music-library-near-hi-res-audio-sound-quality

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

RISCy Business posted:

i'm "generic (TM)"

im the fukkie products in the relate section: https://www.amazon.com/Fukkie-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Smartphones/dp/B075XTS7VB

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i had a nintendo play-yan with my sp

it was a really fun setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol if your parents had enough money to get you an mp3 player. i got this piece of quality music playing bliss:

with sony arse compression tech, you could fit something like 120 tracks on one weird mini CD shoved into a floppy thingamabob

eventually though, the md player proved to be a pos. i upgraded to this bad baby because lol if i was going to be all conformist and get an ipod:

the finest mp3 player capable of playing music and showing album art... just not both at once, for gently caress knows what reason. still tho, it was a cool chunky boi, as opposed to the silly flat cracker aesthetic of an ipod. it had HEFT.

• Locked thread