Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

Would you expect them to wall mounting it or something? What are they supposed to do with it?
I'd be looking at something smaller, less creepy/geeky to display to their friends and family.

Except for my brother they are all huge nerds. I was also gonna give each of them a bottle of hot sauce with free refills for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Waffle House posted:

I gave up for now earlier, the car iced over as I was trying to fumble with some connectors. I think I have one wire to go.

SURE AS gently caress

http://www.zcar.com/forum/12-90-96-tech-discussion-forum/312193-my-custom-wiring-harness-adventure.html

nicely done

Rhyno posted:

So is giving each of my groomsmen a sword too much for the groomsmen gifts?

lol this can't be real

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

lol this can't be real

Sorry you've never been to a wedding that doesn't suck

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup nothing says cool wedding like adult sword owners

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, Happy loving New Year. My wife wakes me up at 9 AM to tell me that there's water coming up in the front yard. Goddamned water main decided that a 17 degree F day was the PERFECT day to split and make me play in the water. It's obviously not frozen, 'cuz it's flowing across the yard and driveway.
Not how I wanted to start the new year, on a holiday day off, not getting paid (because contractor.) The only bright side is I'm not having to take an extra unpaid day off, I guess.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Just don't cross the streams

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

I have a sword on my wall and a Captain America shield above it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Darchangel posted:

Well, Happy loving New Year. My wife wakes me up at 9 AM to tell me that there's water coming up in the front yard. Goddamned water main decided that a 17 degree F day was the PERFECT day to split and make me play in the water. It's obviously not frozen, 'cuz it's flowing across the yard and driveway.
Not how I wanted to start the new year, on a holiday day off, not getting paid (because contractor.) The only bright side is I'm not having to take an extra unpaid day off, I guess.

Yeah, I freaked out a little bit this morning - the water flow was about 1/4 what it normally is. I fixed my coffee and noticed there's a river going down the street in front of my house. City trucks going by every 5-10 minutes. When the wind blows it generates a little puff of snow. My neighbors also have a shoe frozen to the ground at the base of their driveway.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Darchangel posted:

Same kind of luck here. Woke up, house was cold, furnace is broke. It was 0 degrees F outside. Its got a code for the pressure switch, all the vents and lines look clear. Runs for a minute and shuts back down.

I have a backup outdoor wood boiler but it needs a bunch of parts installed that I have, and even then its a crapshoot. I know what I will be doing today.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Pffft. Captain America doesn’t use a sword. Do you even know about comic book characters?

What sword would you get them? Slade Wilson’s? The master sword from Zelda?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think something more practical would be better.

Like cattle prods.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pffft. Captain America doesn’t use a sword. Do you even know about comic book characters?

The sword on my wall is the Master Sword.

I'm looking at roman styled swords because Gladiator was an awesome flick.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

:lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

I'm looking at roman styled swords because Gladiator was an awesome flick.

Convinced you're taking the piss at this point. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was 100% drunk at the time of the original post.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Swords might be overkill, but a nice knife is a legit good groomsman gift. My best friend gave me and the rest of his groomsmen handmade sgianan dubh since we were all wearing kilts for the ceremony. :scotland:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rdb posted:

Same kind of luck here. Woke up, house was cold, furnace is broke. It was 0 degrees F outside. Its got a code for the pressure switch, all the vents and lines look clear. Runs for a minute and shuts back down.

I have a backup outdoor wood boiler but it needs a bunch of parts installed that I have, and even then its a crapshoot. I know what I will be doing today.

Ick. Not sure if that's better or worse than no water.
Digging sucks, but the ground was thoroughly soft. Still working 3' down in a hole in the cold.
Thankfully I have all the tools from the last time I had to do it, and (thanks to Kastein's sweating copper videos from back then) I know how to do it successfully. Rule number 1: clean and dry. Like really, really, really clean.

This was the spot this morning - that bit of dirt was where water was bubbling up like a natural spring.

Water everywhere, going across the driveway, then down the side of the house into the back yard, freezing around the edges:

Here's the problem:

Fracture from compression and expansion, thanks to the crappy shifting clay in my area.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Let's do this
https://i.imgur.com/rzub31F.mp4

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

loving great start to the new year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42529615

Looks like I'll be needing a new DD.

One of the other news articles says that the fire started "in an old land rover", so the chance of a lucas branded item being the ignition source is real.

Having experienced a tannoy announcement of "can the owner of the old landrover in the car park please go outside because there is smoke coming out of it" when my mates ignition switch decided to melt itself, this is no surprise to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Unless you're going to make it like (and to the same standard as) KevBarlas... No. Just no.

Tomarse posted:

One of the other news articles says that the fire started "in an old land rover", so the chance of a lucas branded item being the ignition source is real.
Yuuup.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The new building code for 2018 allows for a 50 m2 garage instead of just a 35 m2 one, so 2018 is already OK in my book.

Also, 2017 saw me become a dad to an awesome little dude, sell my flat for 53% more than I paid for it and bought a houselot in a good location that we're going to build on in 2018, so I can't complain.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Aside from the political poo poo that occurred I lost two of my dogs and was laid off twice in 2017 - glad we can finally pound the last nail in its coffin.

Sword as a groomsmen gift: a friend of mine got one from a friend's wedding, and now has this giant useless prop sitting around the house. If you want to splurge on gifts for your groomsmen get them something useful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Explain to me how a sword is not useful.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

rdb posted:

Are you on gas? I wonder if you've got moisture in the regulator and it's frozen up?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

Are you on gas? I wonder if you've got moisture in the regulator and it's frozen up?

Or everyone on the street is running their furnaces at full blast, and the main isn't keeping pressure. :lol:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

Things I need or use daily that could be gifted: multi tool or nice knife, classy subtle watch.
Things I've never needed and will never use: swords, holiday-themed decorations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Counterpoint: explain to me how a sword is useful outside of a dystopian collapse of society scenario or cosplaying at a renaissance fair :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Let's just hear him out -- what kind of sword?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My workplace literally issues sabres, for use on the factory floor.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Seriously get nice folding knives instead

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Get everyone a pair of Leather Rebars.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Hey Rhyno, I would be very happy to receive a sword as a wedding groomsman related gift. Loads better than any of the boring stuff I have received from the weddings I have been to. Ignore these guys :colbert:

Yeah, nobody needs a sword, but one sword doesn't take up much space and is an interesting thing to have on the wall.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Imagine if it becomes a thing everyone does and every time you get invited to a wedding, you get a sword.

You'd soon get pissed off with them cluttering up the house.

And it's not like you could pretend you've mislaid them, like you can do with cufflinks, because who loses a sword?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Wrar posted:

Seriously get nice folding knives instead

My groomsmen got titanium oxide / rainbow side folders. Reddiculous and practical all in one.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just wait till a watery tart lobs a scimitar at your head.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Y'all leave Rhyno Baggins alone

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I got mora workknives for my grooms, engraved and with a nice leather sheath but still just a basic but solid knife. 6 years later and they are still owned and in use by everyone that got em. Something like a sword would be cool in my nerdy eyes, but something longlasting that sees more use like a knife or a watch might be a more meaningful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

My groomsmen got titanium oxide / rainbow side folders. Reddiculous and practical all in one.

Don't forget the traditional buying of $1000 cars to drive through the mountains for a bachelor party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only sword I'd want on my wall would be one I'd made myself.

• Locked thread