Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In today's story of only slightly mildly interesting... I share my Netflix account with family and a friend (everyone does this right?).

Fired up Netflix on the Roku and saw this.

"spawn"

Text friend that was cat sitting. "This your handiwork?" YUP! She brought her kids over and didn't want their cartoons to clog up my usual Netflix feed.

Maybe I'm immature, but I find it funny that she still refers to her kids as spawn... they range from 2 to 14. :v:

(should I change it to "crotch droppings" before she cat sits again?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm floored at the amount of drama a lot of you guys deal with on the daily.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The biggest ongoing drama in my life is a very polite British email discussion about an invoice from the milkman we don't agree with.

I don't need drama, my kids are going to be teenagers one day, I'll get enough then.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The biggest ongoing drama in my life is a very polite British email discussion about an invoice from the milkman we don't agree with.

I don't need drama, my kids are going to be teenagers one day, I'll get enough then.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/30/softcat_unpaid_milk_bill_court/

quote:

London Stock Exchange-listed tech box-shifter Softcat was taken to courts by a Leeds newsagent after the £832m turnover company failed to settle its milk bill.

The cream-scooping company, whose gross profits last year were a wallet-bulging £136.3m, was being chased over an unpaid invoice of £840 for its Leeds office.

The total claim was £900 once newsagent Omran Malik's costs were factored in. Malik runs a Mace convenience shop on Carlton Parade, Leeds, around half a mile north of Softcat's Leeds offices.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That isn't me :ninja:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

(should I change it to "crotch droppings" before she cat sits again?)

I prefer 'gently caress trophy' because it really seems to annoy some people who have kids. Probably not the best thing to use though if the kids'll see it. :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I prefer 'gently caress trophy' because it really seems to annoy some people who have kids. Probably not the best thing to use though if the kids'll see it. :v:

This is now the number one reason I have for ever having kids. Also a great idea for a kids t-shirt! Just make sure it’s sized for those who can’t read and you’re off to a winner.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I am the biggest drama in my life.

I bought a new Dell Precision M7510.

Rhyno posted:

Everyone's going to have one crazy family member at some point, sounds like you got a real winner there. We're currently experiencing a "why can't you get married in a church?" inquisition from one of my fiance's nutters.

Tell em "Sure! Hows the Church of Satan or Unitarian Universalist sound? See you there!"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 31, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have kids and love em but can't stand the people who seem to base their entire loving identity and sense of worth around being a parent, the level of obsessive, helicopter parenting is crazy.

Rhyno posted:

We're currently experiencing a "why can't you get married in a church?" inquisition from one of my fiance's nutters.

My father in law did this too, didn't like the answers and positively hated that we didnt baptise kids into a faith we don't have.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Blue super moon is... Meh. It's red and a little bigger than normal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Tell em "Sure! Hows the Church of Satan or Unitarian Universalist sound? See you there!"

Wow, are universalists that reviled? I know a few and they are seriously legit people...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Wow, are universalists that reviled? I know a few and they are seriously legit people...

They are not reviled, but generally UU is viewed by Evangelicals as equivalent to Devil Worship or Paganism. Guaranteed to set off anyone asking "Why are you not having a Church Wedding?"

Satanists aren't really reviled either, since its largely just tongue in cheek anyways. Anyone who ACTUALLY thinks Satanists are actually worshiping Satan are the sort who are probably the types to get easily offended by Non-Christians anyways.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 31, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hope everyone's week has been great! I've been busy as fuuuuck and I love it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Locator posted:

Umm.... is that even legal? Obviously if they are in violation of the contract for severance that's a no-brainer, but the vacation? If they approved it and then you were let go after you took it, then that's not something I think they can legally take back, as it wasn't like you took a vacation and then walked in the first day back and quit.

I'd certainly be lawyer hunting even if the lawyer was going to take 100% of what they owed me just to give them a huge "gently caress You" for pulling bullshit like that. I bet a good lawyer could even get them a big ol' fine from the state for pulling that poo poo.

Obviously I don't know your situation or where you even are, but if it were me, where I am, I'd be in the HR office letting them know that I'll be getting a lawyer if 100% of my pay wasn't in my hands by whatever the legal time frame is for paying me after releasing me involuntarily.

gently caress companies that think it's okay to steal from their employees.

Vacation is accrued in this company on a yearly basis and doesn't roll over. So on January 1st, I have 160 hours available to schedule, but I haven't actually earned it until December 31st. So I have a day or so that I did actually earn, the rest I have to pay back. My last company ran a year behind, this company runs current year. Honestly this part was what I expected, its in the employee handbook and was explained to me in detail when I first started.

The severance pay for years of service hurts worse. I have been there almost 5 years, so its roughly a month of pay that I wont get.

They aren't a small company and have a good legal team, so I don't know how far they would escalate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

I'm floored at the amount of drama a lot of you guys deal with on the daily.

This. Ain't got time for that bullshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rdb posted:

Its white, correct? Should be easy to touch up, and just think of the car as yours now.

This has sorta happened to me as well. Bought a brand new 2009 cobalt ss/tc and got rear ended a month later. It was at night and I didn’t see damage so I took the lady’s info and left. The next morning I found the hole in the bumper cover from her license plate bolt. The information she gave was incomplete and she would never return my calls after the first. Lesson learned etc.

The last time I got into a fender bender, I didn't bother writing anything down. I got pictures of all license plates, damage, insurance cards, and driver's licenses involved, all on my phone. Invaluable.
And, in your case, you let *your* insurance company loose on her. That's what you pay them for.

quote:

Also, got let go from work effective tomorrow. Knew it was coming since they closed the plant in 2016, but its still painful. Also informed they won’t be paying me the severance for years of service and were docking me for the vacation I just took. I have a contract re: the severance but I will need a lawyer I think to get it honored and in that case it will take months and 3/4 of what its worth to recover anything.

That's why you sue for not just the severance, but the legal cost of obtaining it. Make them loving pay for being assholes, basically. In Texas, you can usually sic the Texas Workforce Commission on them. Perhaps your state/country has a similar employee advocate?

wallaka posted:

Oh man, gently caress dealerships forever <snip> I went and picked it up today and told them I'd never buy anything from them or have any service done.

I wasn't given a survey to fill out, I wonder why?

I keep telling my wife when she says "I'll never go there again" that she needs to tell *them* that, not me, or they'll never even notice. If you can't to their face, email/social media works, sometimes better, because it gets to the people who would care. Good on you.

iwentdoodie posted:

So, I know u posted the one hot wheels pic, but I gotta share the nerd story. They had 3 bins of hot wheels, and there are 6 Beatles cars. I spent a solid 15 minutes digging through them, found 5, could not find the 6th and I was getting super annoyed.

So annoyed that, while I was digging, my wife found the missing one on eBay and ordered it just so I would shut the gently caress up :v:

I don't care so much for the Beatles cars, so much as the First Editions/New Models Yellow Submarine from last year. One of the few 2016s I don't have. Probably will have to find it on eBay. After which time I'll see it everywhere. I'm expecting that with the Mad Mike Mazda REPU I just bought.

quote:

Also, as a totally normal adult, is it weird to just put your lunch Tupperware in a plastic bag and take it to work? I just...dont feel the need to spend money on a lunch box, but I guess I'm going to because it's 'sad to watch a grown rear end man carry his lunch in a plastic sack.'

Go the classic route - paper lunch sack. (I have a soft-sided lunch box.)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

These are both normal adult things. Disney :argh: released these little tiny die cast versions of the Cars 3 Cars in little mystery bags. We bought a couple and thought they were great. There are 24 different ones all in mystery bags.

We became obsessed. My wife spent almost an entire day driving across the salt lake valley to various stores to get the entire collection. We were successful and it was much more satisfying than it should be.

I used to do that, but managed to keep it focused to just the Hot Wheels "New Models" for each year. Still do, but mostly have transfer my "collect all the things" obsession to collectibles in various open world video games.

Rhyno posted:

Everyone's going to have one crazy family member at some point, sounds like you got a real winner there. We're currently experiencing a "why can't you get married in a church?" inquisition from one of my fiance's nutters.

Yeah, at least GnarlyCharlie4u's crazy relative is obvious and un-subtle. It's the sneaky nuts that gently caress things up.

My own personal drama is... huh. Let's see. Oh! The gas bill came in yesterday, and it triple the previous. Presumably due to the "gently caress, it's cold!" weather (for Texas) during the bill period. It's double last January as well, though, so I'll need to keep an eye on it and make sure we don't have a leak or something. I don't smell anything inside or out by the meter, so it's more likely just that it was cold and my house is leaky. Normally pay $50-60 this time of year for gas. This time it was $126, for 118 cu. ft., including all the bullshit fees and taxes.
My wife's sister was a bit of a pain, but we broke off contact with her a few years ago when she almost got my wife kicked out of school for copying - her sister was copying my wife's work while they were going to the same classes and working together on assignments. Also, meth, probably.

edit: :words: Boy, can you tell when I first get into work and catch up on threads?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 31, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rdb posted:

Vacation is accrued in this company on a yearly basis and doesn't roll over. So on January 1st, I have 160 hours available to schedule, but I haven't actually earned it until December 31st. So I have a day or so that I did actually earn, the rest I have to pay back. My last company ran a year behind, this company runs current year. Honestly this part was what I expected, its in the employee handbook and was explained to me in detail when I first started.

The severance pay for years of service hurts worse. I have been there almost 5 years, so its roughly a month of pay that I wont get.

They aren't a small company and have a good legal team, so I don't know how far they would escalate.

That sucks. What's their reason for not providing severance? Are they trying to make this a "for cause" termination?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Midniter posted:

That sucks. What's their reason for not providing severance? Are they trying to make this a "for cause" termination?

The person who said they aren’t going to pay used a different payment from 2016 as a basis not to pay this one. The contract, and what they paid others with similar contracts says otherwise. I guess I will find out if its for cause when I file for unemployment tomorrow.

Either way, lawyers take time and money, which I won’t really have.

Darchangel posted:

The last time I got into a fender bender, I didn't bother writing anything down. I got pictures of all license plates, damage, insurance cards, and driver's licenses involved, all on my phone. Invaluable.
And, in your case, you let *your* insurance company loose on her. That's what you pay them for.

That's why you sue for not just the severance, but the legal cost of obtaining it. Make them loving pay for being assholes, basically. In Texas, you can usually sic the Texas Workforce Commission on them. Perhaps your state/country has a similar employee advocate?

My mistake was not taking a picture of a valid insurance card. Had her plates, phone number and name etc. Since it was was night, in the middle of a very busy intersection and I saw no damage (car was black) I thought no big deal. Live and learn. My personal insurance had a $1000 deductible and the bumper cover was $800. I just told myself I would fix it eventually and never did.

As far as my state goes, welcome to Indiana. Your right to sue and for advocates was legislated away in the 70s. I have a really good personal example that maybe some day I can talk about.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rdb posted:

My company handles vacations the same way, but if they let someone go after they've taken an approved by management vacation, they never try to pull it back as it was approved to take, and the employee did not know they were going to be released.

Now, if someone took all their vacation in January and then quit a week later, they might consider it, because that has the appearance of being a planned thing, to work for a week and get paid for 5 or whatever.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. On the severance I'm on board with Darchangel that you sue them for the severance + legal cost to obtain it. Maybe throw in some mental stress compensation too. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rdb posted:

As far as my state goes, welcome to Indiana. Your right to sue and for advocates was legislated away in the 70s. I have a really good personal example that maybe some day I can talk about.

Gee, it's not like government if for the benefit of the governed or anything.
Man, it seems like every company I've dealt with lately makes you sign an agreement for arbitration as part of their TOS, alleging that you can't sue if you sign it. Fortunately, that's not enforceable in TX (yet), as I understand it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just dropping in to say that you are all wonderful and I hope everyone in this thread has a good day.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Any advice on this IF the dealer doesn't shoot me some goodwill and help me out?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

My own personal drama is... huh. Let's see. Oh! The gas bill came in yesterday, and it triple the previous. Presumably due to the "gently caress, it's cold!" weather (for Texas) during the bill period. It's double last January as well, though, so I'll need to keep an eye on it and make sure we don't have a leak or something. I don't smell anything inside or out by the meter, so it's more likely just that it was cold and my house is leaky. Normally pay $50-60 this time of year for gas. This time it was $126, for 118 cu. ft., including all the bullshit fees and taxes.

I used ~5900 cuft in December, making me one of the most efficient houses per square foot in the neighborhood according to the gas company's little efficiency widget. I only paid $80 for it though, so I guess we've found the one thing Canadians don't pay more for :v:

I kept the house down around 12-15c during that cold snap the entire continent got and burned about $40 worth of wood to stay comfy though, so that number is sort of artificially low.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 31, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't really have family drama. This may be because my attitude to family drama in potentia is "oh gently caress off".

Have had to deal with other families' dramas now and then, but managed to largely do so successfully. Mostly through the medium of "oh gently caress off".

everdave posted:

Any advice on this IF the dealer doesn't shoot me some goodwill and help me out?

Touch in with a paint pen, wet sand back, compound and polish.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

This is what touchup paint pens are for.

There's a little abrasive piece on top of the cap you use to clean up the chip/scratch, then use either the pen tip (its more of a spring-loaded dispenser than a pen - you push it into the scratch/chip and paint will flow out) or if you unscrew the top there's a small touch-up brush inside. If done right you won't be able to tell from more than a few feet away.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Touch in with a paint pen, wet sand back, compound and polish.

Any idea what that would cost if I have to pay someone? The irony is I literally just ordered $100 worth of cleaning/paint protection products off Amazon preparing to set up the new car. Hopefully in a perfect world the dealer will help me out when I go up there today. Sigh/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

Any idea what that would cost if I have to pay someone? The irony is I literally just ordered $100 worth of cleaning/paint protection products off Amazon preparing to set up the new car. Hopefully in a perfect world the dealer will help me out when I go up there today. Sigh/
Not sure I'm afraid, probably a "minimum floor price" situation for any given person. It should be a bread and butter job to anyone with any right to be messing with paintwork.

It's a good opportunity to learn to do it yourself, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

I just texted my dad to ask how much his recent paint gouge cost him. $120 for a two inch scratch through the paint. He says it isn't a flawless repair but he's happy with it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just texted my dad to ask how much his recent paint gouge cost him. $120 for a two inch scratch through the paint. He says it isn't a flawless repair but he's happy with it.

Ah I can live with that if it comes to it. Thanks and thanks initialDave

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Ah I can live with that if it comes to it. Thanks and thanks initialDave

He had a dude come to him, if you call around to a few shops I'm sure you can get a perfect repair done.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I carry my lunch to work in this and just toss it in the fridge when I get here. I also have a small 6-can cooler made by Thermos that I use if I need something insulated.

On a similar note: what's everyone's typical work lunch? Mine's usually a sandwich (either cold cuts and cheese or tuna/chicken salad) and some crackers and cheese with a couple cookies or trail mix as a snack.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Magnus Praeda posted:

On a similar note: what's everyone's typical work lunch?

2 servings of sunflower seeds, 2 string cheeses and crap ton of water.

:negative:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Magnus Praeda posted:

I carry my lunch to work in this and just toss it in the fridge when I get here. I also have a small 6-can cooler made by Thermos that I use if I need something insulated.

On a similar note: what's everyone's typical work lunch? Mine's usually a sandwich (either cold cuts and cheese or tuna/chicken salad) and some crackers and cheese with a couple cookies or trail mix as a snack.

man i want to strangle the people who bring giant insulated bags for their lunches and take up too much fridge space with them

i usually bring chili, red beans and rice or some sort of stew that i make in batches, portion and freeze

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Magnus Praeda posted:

On a similar note: what's everyone's typical work lunch?

Low cal wrap with lunch meat and cheese. Assorted sources of carbs, piece of fruit and a yogurt. I do snack prep every other week and portion out the per cal servings of pretty much everything.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Magnus Praeda posted:

We do meal prep Sundays and the past few months I've been doing the same things because :effort: Grilled chicken, grilled veggies and quinoa for lunch. Brunch is chicken curry with rice.

Wife is more creative and tries different things every week but this works good for us and saves a ton versus buying lunch at work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I work right near Eden Center so I get pork buns and banh mi a lot.
I also am not that far from Annandale, which has all the korean food.
Today I had spicy beef noodles which is just fresh Szechuan noodles and beef in a spicy broth.

I bring lunch for the whole office pretty frequently too. Usually because I want something like bbq pulled pork or brisket which requires you to make a very large amount of food and the office will ensure that it gets eaten instead of languishing in my fridge.

I'm actually terrible at meal prep, but I'm really good at making waaaaaay too much food and just eating leftovers for a while.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

Low cal wrap with lunch meat and cheese. Assorted sources of carbs, piece of fruit and a yogurt. I do snack prep every other week and portion out the per cal servings of pretty much everything.

You're like my "be less of a fat slob" inspiration.

:allears:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Magnus Praeda posted:

Every other week or so Ill whip up a pound of ground turkey and throw a bunch of eggs and taco spices in there and just throw it in a bowl to eat it with a spoon. Ill alternate with whatever dinner leftovers we have in the fridge.

For breakfast I make a weeks worth of oatmeal in a crockpot on sundays and throw in whatever ingredients I want in the morning. Pro tip: you can never have enough cinnamon.

In my desk I have an emergency can of tuna and a bunch of protein bars. Pistachios and cashews for snacks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it's not leftovers and fruit it's sandwiches and fruit. I try not to bring biscuits etc in because I'll eat them all straight away.

I need to get a towbar and bigger trailer so we can go camping in May, we barely had enough space when we had a 6 seat people carrier and we replaced that with a 4 seat sedan. Why are trailers so expensive in the UK again?

E: we'll be down at the Eden centre, I'll say hi GnarlyCharlie4u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Around the corner is a healthy/salad bar local place. I usually just get mainly protein, smoked steak cubes, veggies, pickles, shredded chicken. About $5-6 a day.

• Locked thread