Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

If it's not leftovers and fruit it's sandwiches and fruit. I try not to bring biscuits etc in because I'll eat them all straight away.

I need to get a towbar and bigger trailer so we can go camping in May, we barely had enough space when we had a 6 seat people carrier and we replaced that with a 4 seat sedan. Why are trailers so expensive in the UK again?

E: we'll be down at the Eden centre, I'll say hi GnarlyCharlie4u

:whatup: yeah hit me up if you're in VA and we can do a thing.

oh gently caress new page.

giggity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You're like my "be less of a fat slob" inspiration.

:allears:

:D

That was my goal man. The best part is once you achieve your goal you can splurge out on food once in a while. Like pizza.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

That was my goal man. The best part is once you achieve your goal you can splurge out on food once in a while. Like pizza.

You can do it quite a lot if you're actually aware of how much you're eating. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, I'm just very aware of how much of it I'm eating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You can do it quite a lot if you're actually aware of how much you're eating. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, I'm just very aware of how much of it I'm eating.

I log every single thing I eat into MyFitnessPal. I'm currently on 1600 calories a day prior to exercise and after 20K steps I can usually eat another 900 calories worth of food. They key is to just stay active, keep moving.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah man, I had like a bunch of extra cal's to splurge on last night after hitting 15k and still be way under budget so I went to Taco Bell and had like 3 bean burritos slathered in red sauce and onions.

I really need to get a food scale tho so I'm not guessing so much on stuff I make at home.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Magnus Praeda posted:

On a similar note: what's everyone's typical work lunch?

Baby carrots, salad with black beans and grilled chicken, an apple, greek yogurt, and a protein bar. At least 4x per week I do this, I try to go out to lunch once a week.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Are there any websites that give simple menu ideas both for lunches you can prepare in advance on a Sunday and example simple menus for evening meals?

I like trying to cook stuff but suck at finding things simple enough for me to be willing to cook them when I am tired at the end of a long day. I also end up away from home a lot so don't keep many fresh ingredients in so stuff that I can cook using tinned/dried/frozen ingredients (and maybe a couple of fresh bits i can buy cheaply from the small local shop) is my favourite.

If it's not leftovers and fruit it's sandwiches and fruit. I try not to bring biscuits etc in because I'll eat them all straight away.

I need to get a towbar and bigger trailer so we can go camping in May, we barely had enough space when we had a 6 seat people carrier and we replaced that with a 4 seat sedan. Why are trailers so expensive in the UK again?

E: we'll be down at the Eden centre, I'll say hi GnarlyCharlie4u

I think you guys might be talking different continents for your Eden Centres! ;)

Cakeman - do you want an aluminium caravan chassis based trailer? or is that tooo big for you?

E: Thanks to whoever posted about the lofi hip hop radio on youtube a while back. I've been super productive when listening to that this week rather than my standard radio/music selections. This afternoon I've created a 24 page long handover document for a project which I have just started.
Had issues with stuff dragging on past handover before with this client so I'm aiming to shut them up this time by compiling everything into one big document I can physically give them and by including many gratuitous colourful visio diagrams.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 31, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Crockpots/slow cookers are pretty much the bees knees for people that have no time or are simply exhausted after work and just want to eat. Get the ingredients prepped and chuck it in the pot before you go to bed the night before and just turn it on low in the AM when you leave for work. There are TONS of recipes to be found on the net.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Magnus Praeda posted:

On a similar note: what's everyone's typical work lunch? Mine's usually a sandwich (either cold cuts and cheese or tuna/chicken salad) and some crackers and cheese with a couple cookies or trail mix as a snack.

Leftovers, 99% of the time. We always try to make enough of whatever we cook so both of us have lunch. If we do steak or something then the next day I usually go out.

Then there's the days where I bring a nice lunch and a vendor comes out of nowhere and takes all of us out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I closed up shop for a bit and took the new car over to the dealer. They said they would either order and pay for me a paint pen (they didn't have this new 18 Pearl Metallic in) or if I thought it was there when I bought it they'd get their paint guy to look at it. I'm trying to be a good person these days and I just said man, I don't think it was there.

I think it is in my best interest to study and learn how to competently touch this up and do it right, as I'm sure it is bound to happen again.

I'm pleased with the resolution (unless I really gently caress up touching it up ha)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:whatup: yeah hit me up if you're in VA and we can do a thing.

Tomarse posted:

I think you guys might be talking different continents for your Eden Centres! ;)

Cakeman - do you want an aluminium caravan chassis based trailer? or is that tooo big for you?

Lol I think so, we'll be down in Cornwall UK. If I ever make it to VA I'll light the goon light though.

Yup too big, we've a 4'x2'6" that's too small, a 6x4x4 box would be ideal, looks like there's a few for about £500 which I've just about convinced myself is a reasonable price :suicide:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

everdave posted:

They said they would either order and pay for me a paint pen (they didn't have this new 18 Pearl Metallic in) or if I thought it was there when I bought it they'd get their paint guy to look at it. I'm trying to be a good person these days and I just said man, I don't think it was there.

Usually if I say something like that to someone, its an offer to wink wink nudge nudge it through. Shoulda said it was there on delivery.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Usually if I say something like that to someone, its an offer to wink wink nudge nudge it through. Shoulda said it was there on delivery.

I agree, but like InitialDave said, this will be an opportunity to force myself to competently do this. And as dumb as it sounds they did everything I asked when I bought the car and dropped all the normal bullshit, and I'm just paying it forward. I realize I might be stupid to not push for a free repair but what's done is done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yup too big, we've a 4'x2'6" that's too small, a 6x4x4 box would be ideal, looks like there's a few for about £500 which I've just about convinced myself is a reasonable price :suicide:
Trailers tend to hold value reasonably well, so I wouldn't get too caught up with the cost. £500 for a 6x4x4 box trailer is pretty drat cheap anyway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you like crockpots, you need to get an Instant Pot. It's just a computerized pressure cooker (it'll double as a crockpot), but it's great for cooking because it even has a saute function, so I can brown some meat, then set it to pressure cook, all in one pot (less cleanup). I've been eating a lot of this chicken chili with extra chicken added to the recipe, and it cooks in 35 mins of pressure cooker time (plus 15 mins to heat up), compared to 4 to 6 hours on high in a crockpot.

At least the chicken chili has helped me drop all the weight I gained on vacation, even walking all day compared to my usual desk job didn't make up for 3 weeks of crazy buffet breakfasts and excessive drinking.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

I agree, but like InitialDave said, this will be an opportunity to force myself to competently do this. And as dumb as it sounds they did everything I asked when I bought the car and dropped all the normal bullshit, and I'm just paying it forward. I realize I might be stupid to not push for a free repair but what's done is done.
Watch some videos from someone like Larry from AmmoNYC, and at least try for a free paint pen from the dealer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Watch some videos from someone like Larry from AmmoNYC, and at least try for a free paint pen from the dealer.

They are paying for the paint pen

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, turns out my furnace uses straight-up automotive blade fuses.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Lots of good lunch ideas but this:

Cage posted:

Every other week or so Ill whip up a pound of ground turkey and throw a bunch of eggs and taco spices in there and just throw it in a bowl to eat it with a spoon. Ill alternate with whatever dinner leftovers we have in the fridge.
reminds me of one of my favorite low-effort dinners--something my wife has nicknamed "hotmess." It's basically burrito filling (ground beef or turkey, refried beans, Spanish rice, salsa, and queso) but just eaten with tortilla chips (like a super-dense bean dip). It's like a month's worth of fat and salt, though, so I only make it rarely. Your version sounds slightly healthier.

MomJeans420 posted:

If you like crockpots, you need to get an Instant Pot. It's just a computerized pressure cooker (it'll double as a crockpot), but it's great for cooking because it even has a saute function, so I can brown some meat, then set it to pressure cook, all in one pot (less cleanup). I've been eating a lot of this chicken chili with extra chicken added to the recipe, and it cooks in 35 mins of pressure cooker time (plus 15 mins to heat up), compared to 4 to 6 hours on high in a crockpot.

At least the chicken chili has helped me drop all the weight I gained on vacation, even walking all day compared to my usual desk job didn't make up for 3 weeks of crazy buffet breakfasts and excessive drinking.

I really want to pick up an Instant Pot after reading the GWS pressure cooker thread. It sounds like the perfect tool for a lazy cook like me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Magnus Praeda posted:

reminds me of one of my favorite low-effort dinners--something my wife has nicknamed "hotmess." It's basically burrito filling (ground beef or turkey, refried beans, Spanish rice, salsa, and queso) but just eaten with tortilla chips (like a super-dense bean dip). It's like a month's worth of fat and salt, though, so I only make it rarely. Your version sounds slightly healthier.
That doesn't sound too bad, depending on the amount of rice and cheese you use. Sometimes Ill just eat taco beef and refried beans with a spoon but Ive definitely done it with tortilla chips before. Just gotta stay at or above 90% lean.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cage posted:

That doesn't sound too bad, depending on the amount of rice and cheese you use. Sometimes Ill just eat taco beef and refried beans with a spoon but Ive definitely done it with tortilla chips before. Just gotta stay at or above 90% lean.

Yeah, it's mostly the queso that adds in the fat. I usually go with 90%-lean ground turkey and vegetarian or fat-free beans to help with that (same if I'm not being lazy and just making regular tacos or burritos). Salt, though, is still off-the-charts high.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

I really want to pick up an Instant Pot after reading the GWS pressure cooker thread. It sounds like the perfect tool for a lazy cook like me.

Get a pressure cooker, whether the electric Instant Pot or stovetop they are incredibly handy. We've taken to making Green Chili with Chicken and if you swap chicken thighs for breasts the whole thing is 0 points on Weight Watchers. I make at least a batch a week and we have easy cheap lunch.

That pressure cooker thread has some really great recipes, our pressure cooker really changed the way I cooked on week nights for the better

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been trying to figure out what to with the suspension in the mazda wagon for the last couple months with little success. At 125k miles, the shocks are pretty toast and the rear end is visibly blown. I want it about an inch to an inch and a half lower, but don't really want to have something so uncomfortable that it shoves my spine through the top of my head. Adjustability would be nice since then I can be sure I can pull in and out of my garage since the driveway over there sits at about a 25° angle. If I was smart, I'd just put oem back in because its not a ballache to figure out if it fit, but thats boring. This is largely cosmetic with the occasional spirited drive. Maybe autocross if I ever manage to have a weekend off.

Current options are:
Koni FSDs with Eibach lowering springs
Supposedly my best option for a good ride at the cost of slightly less long term reliability. No height adjustability. Most expensive option.

Bilstein B8s with eibach lowering springs
Best reliability with a slightly harsher ride. No height adjustment with spotty availability. Cheapest option.

BC Racing coilovers
Adjustability and a brand with a decent reputation for reliability. Not sure how much longevity I can expect, but I have seen enough people dailying them to fine with it. Probably going to be the harshest option unless I figure out how to actually set them up well.

Any ideas AI? They all come in within around $150 of each other once I factor in other stuff that has to be changed with each option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Slow cookers can work wonders with cheap beef like chuck steaks. Just chop em up, throw a bunch of seasonings and mushrooms in there and you're golden.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Point of fact: you can never have to many crock pots.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Slow cookers can work wonders with cheap beef like chuck steaks. Just chop em up, throw a bunch of seasonings and mushrooms in there and you're golden.

sear that beef first

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Point of fact: you can never have to many crock pots.

We have a three pot buffet serving thing and we realized it can be used as a triple crock pot and it's incredible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

sear that beef first

This is my favorite thing about my dutch ovens. I don't actually have to use 2 different vessels to sear and then cook the beef.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Elmnt80 posted:

I've been trying to figure out what to with the suspension in the mazda wagon for the last couple months with little success. At 125k miles, the shocks are pretty toast and the rear end is visibly blown. I want it about an inch to an inch and a half lower, but don't really want to have something so uncomfortable that it shoves my spine through the top of my head. Adjustability would be nice since then I can be sure I can pull in and out of my garage since the driveway over there sits at about a 25° angle. If I was smart, I'd just put oem back in because its not a ballache to figure out if it fit, but thats boring. This is largely cosmetic with the occasional spirited drive. Maybe autocross if I ever manage to have a weekend off.

Current options are:
Koni FSDs with Eibach lowering springs
Supposedly my best option for a good ride at the cost of slightly less long term reliability. No height adjustability. Most expensive option.

Bilstein B8s with eibach lowering springs
Best reliability with a slightly harsher ride. No height adjustment with spotty availability. Cheapest option.

BC Racing coilovers
Adjustability and a brand with a decent reputation for reliability. Not sure how much longevity I can expect, but I have seen enough people dailying them to fine with it. Probably going to be the harshest option unless I figure out how to actually set them up well.

Any ideas AI? They all come in within around $150 of each other once I factor in other stuff that has to be changed with each option.

What year/model?

I'm a bilstein, eibach, and BC dealer, among other things. BCs would not be a recommendation from me, ever, for any reason.

Tokicos are on clearance right now but only some applications are available.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

O4 mazda 6s wagon. Are BC really that bad? :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

There was a guy on Mazdaspeed.org who tested BC's against other brands and he liked the loving Racelands better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

They are not reviled, but generally UU is viewed by Evangelicals as equivalent to Devil Worship or Paganism. Guaranteed to set off anyone asking "Why are you not having a Church Wedding?"

Satanists aren't really reviled either, since its largely just tongue in cheek anyways. Anyone who ACTUALLY thinks Satanists are actually worshiping Satan are the sort who are probably the types to get easily offended by Non-Christians anyways.

The minister of the UU church I used to go to performed the first same sex marriage in Denton county, so I can see why Evangelicals would hate them. :v:

slidebite posted:

Crockpots/slow cookers are pretty much the bees knees for people that have no time or are simply exhausted after work and just want to eat. Get the ingredients prepped and chuck it in the pot before you go to bed the night before and just turn it on low in the AM when you leave for work. There are TONS of recipes to be found on the net.

Instant Pots are pretty awesome too, though admittedly I mostly use mine for beans (<30 minutes, unsoaked) and steel cut oats (3 minutes).

MomJeans420 posted:

Oh drat that looks good, and I have everything on hand except for the beans.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MomJeans420 posted:

If you like crockpots, you need to get an Instant Pot. It's just a computerized pressure cooker (it'll double as a crockpot), but it's great for cooking because it even has a saute function, so I can brown some meat, then set it to pressure cook, all in one pot (less cleanup).

Seconding all of this except the saute function for meat. In my experience it just doesn't get hot enough to put a proper sear on meat. It'll work in a pinch if you have no other way to do it, but I usually brown/sear on the stove top, deglaze and pour everything into the vessel.

It works fine for sautéing onions and other aromatics, however.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Yes. BC, megan, raceland, isc, d2, k-sport, whatever else are all the same garbage shocks with different colors.

These would be a good option

http://www.stsuspensions.com/coilovers/st_x
http://www.stsuspensions.com/produc...agon-90321.html

ST is KW's budget brand. That coilover uses the same internal parts as the KW variant 1, which is their coilover without an adjustable damper. The main difference besides the colors is that the KW uses a stainless steel housing while the ST uses galvanized steel. So slightly worse corrosion resistance but is like half the price.

Ballpark for a set of those would be in the 850 range which is less than I'm seeing online. Same price range as bilsteins + eibach so I'd probably take the STs out of the two.

Other, cheaper option is closeout Tokico HPs with eibach pro-kit springs. Like $450 for the whole setup.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

^^^

Oh drat. KW was kinda my pie in the sky choice when I was looking, but were out of my price range. Those are pretty much exactly what I was looking for. If you're a dealer for them, I'll happily go through you jamal. :D

Rhyno posted:

There was a guy on Mazdaspeed.org who tested BC's against other brands and he liked the loving Racelands better.

Thats surprising tbh. I'd heard good things about BC and nothing but poop about racelands. I guess I'm going for struts and lowering springs. Now to figure out which way to go there. I drive like 6-7k miles a year, so its not like I need to worry that much about long term durability. (Watch me get transfered now.)

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 1, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you want coilovers, spend the money for MCA or GTFO

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

MCA barely exists in the US, and I doubt you can get a set for a mazda 6 without waiting on a slow boat if they even make them in that application.

Elmnt80 posted:

^^^

Oh drat. KW was kinda my pie in the sky choice when I was looking, but were out of my price range. Those are pretty much exactly what I was looking for. If you're a dealer for them, I'll happily go through you jamal. :D

Ok cool. They're even in stock at my distributor so whenever you want them send me a pm or email (peter at functionauto.com).

I'm probably going to go with some for my own car one of these days. As much as I'd like Racecomp engineering's version, and they will hook me up, it's still a good amount more money.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 1, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is my favorite thing about my dutch ovens. I don't actually have to use 2 different vessels to sear and then cook the beef.

That's my favourite part about my Instant Pot so far. Deglazing the pot with a wooden spoon every so often when I forget to add enough water/stock to the mix is not really as much fun.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I usually go to allrecipes or serious eats and find something that looks easy to make, doesn't have a ton of super expensive niche ingredients and has some kind of meat and vegetables in it. Lots of stir fry, stews, pasta with meat sauce, etc. I work alternating 3 and 4 days per week so on the last day before work I make enough of something for the week. If I get bored of it halfway through I'll just go out that day, but I usually only go out on my days off.

My lazy standby is usually pasta with sauce from a jar, but I add fresh diced+sauteed onions/bell peppers/mushrooms/ground turkey/whatever and some extra spice.

Pork loin with roasted vegetables is this week's lunch. I used some creole seasoning, da lat spice (kind of like a coffee/anise rub) and pepper instead of steak seasoning, but you can use whatever tastes good with pork. Marinated it overnight but had to cook the meat and vegetables separately since that's a lot of food, turned out great. I also tripled the amount of onions and skipped the squash/sweet potato in favor of brussels sprouts in the vegetable part.

A few weeks ago was goulash which was pretty good, I halved the amount of salt they ask for because drat. I also added a pack of frozen peas and some chopped carrots, made it in the crock pot.

Cooking is easy if you always choose recipes with 4 steps, one of which is "turn the oven on"

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone give a gently caress about a new thread for February or we just gonna keep going in this one?

• Locked thread