Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
choose?
This poll is closed.
Go Down, Moses 2 14.29%
Swann's Way 2 14.29%
The Man with Compound Eyes 3 21.43%
Njal's Saga 7 50.00%
Declare by Tim Powers 0 0%
Total: 12 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Let's start the new year right. A few options:

1) Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner

quote:

Go Down, Moses is a collection of seven related pieces of short fiction by American author William Faulkner, sometimes considered a novel. The most prominent character and unifying voice is that of Isaac McCaslin, "Uncle Ike", who will live to be an old man; "uncle to half a county and father to no one." Though originally published as a short story collection, Faulkner considered the book to be a novel in the same way The Unvanquished is considered a novel. Because of this, most editions no longer print "and other stories" in the title.

2) Swann's Way by Marcel Proust

The first volume of À la Recherche du Temps Perdu

quote:

Swann's Way (Du côté de chez Swann, sometimes translated as The Way by Swann's) (1913) was rejected by a number of publishers, including Fasquelle, Ollendorff, and the Nouvelle Revue Française (NRF). André Gide was famously given the manuscript to read to advise NRF on publication and, leafing through the seemingly endless collection of memories and philosophizing or melancholic episodes, came across a few minor syntactic errors, which made him decide to turn the work down in his audit. Proust eventually arranged with the publisher Grasset to pay the cost of publication himself. When published it was advertised as the first of a three-volume novel (Bouillaguet and Rogers, 316–7). Du côté de chez Swann is divided into four parts: "Combray I" (sometimes referred to in English as the "Overture"), "Combray II," "Un Amour de Swann," and "Noms de pays: le nom." ('Names of places: the name'). A third-person novella within Du côté de chez Swann, "Un Amour de Swann" is sometimes published as a volume by itself. As it forms the self-contained story of Charles Swann's love affair with Odette de Crécy and is relatively short, it is generally considered a good introduction to the work and is often a set text in French schools. "Combray I" is also similarly excerpted; it ends with the famous madeleine cake episode, introducing the theme of involuntary memory. In early 1914 Gide, who had been involved in NRF's rejection of the book, wrote to Proust to apologize and to offer congratulations on the novel. "For several days I have been unable to put your book down.... The rejection of this book will remain the most serious mistake ever made by the NRF and, since I bear the shame of being very much responsible for it, one of the most stinging and remorseful regrets of my life" (Tadié, 611). Gallimard (the publishing arm of NRF) offered to publish the remaining volumes, but Proust chose to stay with Grasset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Lost_Time#Volume_One:_Swann's_Way

3) The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi

quote:

It is easy to see why Wu's English-language publishers compare his latest novel to the work of Murakami and David Mitchell. His writing occupies the space between hard-edged realism and extravagantly detailed fantasy, hovering over the precipice of wild imagination before retreating to minutiae about Taiwanese fauna or whale-hunting. Semi-magical events occur throughout the novel: people and animals behave in mysterious ways without quite knowing why they are doing so; and, in a Murakami-esque touch, there's even a prominent cat. But beyond these superficial similarities lies an earnest, politically conscious novel, anchored in ecological concerns and Taiwanese identity.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/sep/28/man-compound-eyes-wu-mingyi-review

4) Njal's Saga by Unknown

quote:

Njáls saga (modern Icelandic pronunciation: About this sound listen (help·info)) (also Njála (About this sound listen (help·info)), Brennu-Njáls saga (About this sound listen (help·info)) or "The Story of Burnt Njáll") is a thirteenth-century Icelandic saga that describes events between 960 and 1020. The principal characters are the friends Njáll Þorgeirsson,[1] a lawyer and a sage, and Gunnar Hámundarson, a formidable warrior. Gunnar's wife instigates a feud that leads to the death of many characters over several decades including the killing by fire of the eponymous "Burnt Njáll". The saga deals with this process of blood feuds in the Icelandic Commonwealth, showing how the requirements of honor could lead to minor slights spiralling into destructive and prolonged bloodshed. Insults where a character's manhood is called into question are especially prominent and may reflect an author critical of an overly restrictive ideal of masculinity.[2] Another characteristic of the narrative is the presence of omens and prophetic dreams. It is disputed whether this reflects a fatalistic outlook on the part of the author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nj%C3%A1ls_saga

One day poll only! if you have other suggestions post them in this thread. As always, please only vote if you are willing to participate and read and post if your choice of book is selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Let me plug The Man with the Compound Eyes properly. It's a bit like early Haruki Murakami, but Taiwanese, and good. It begins intertwining the stories of Alice, a suicidal professor whose husband and son have just died, and Atile'i, a boy on a Polynesian island who is about to follow his tribe's customs by leaving the island forever. Atile'i's voyage, accompanied by sperm whales who used to be other boys exiled from the island, is interrupted when he crashes into an enormous island of plastic waste, which soon enough crashes into Taiwan's east coast. The story spirals out to absorb various other characters' stories; it's not a plot-heavy book. It absorbs the stories of Taiwanese aboriginals, Chinese Taiwanese,* Polynesians, and foreigners, engineers, hunters, and prostitutes. It's full of secrets, very relevant, moving, apocalyptic, and optimistic, and it's a corner of the literary world that I think will be new to most goons.

E: Oh yeah and the Vintage translation is only a couple of years old, should be easy to get your hands on.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Let me plug The Man with the Compound Eyes properly. It's a bit like early Haruki Murakami, but Taiwanese, and good. It begins intertwining the stories of Alice, a suicidal professor whose husband and son have just died, and Atile'i, a boy on a Polynesian island who is about to follow his tribe's customs by leaving the island forever. Atile'i's voyage, accompanied by sperm whales who used to be other boys exiled from the island, is interrupted when he crashes into an enormous island of plastic waste, which soon enough crashes into Taiwan's east coast. The story spirals out to absorb various other characters' stories; it's not a plot-heavy book. It absorbs the stories of Taiwanese aboriginals, Chinese Taiwanese,* Polynesians, and foreigners, engineers, hunters, and prostitutes. It's full of secrets, very relevant, moving, apocalyptic, and optimistic, and it's a corner of the literary world that I think will be new to most goons.

E: Oh yeah and the Vintage translation is only a couple of years old, should be easy to get your hands on.

that does sound good, but on the other hand we have nordic bloodfeuds

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Safety Biscuits posted:

This sold me, sounds very interesting and something that would be totally new to me.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
why didnt you put rebecca on the list

why alloy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

why didnt you put rebecca on the list

why alloy

I couldn't decide between rebecca and Jamaica Inn and in the end I decided it was facing pretty stiff competition already so I thought I'd slip it into a different month without as many strong contenders

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
OR I could flip the table and we could do Declare but maybe everyone's read that already anyway

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'd read Declare

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I just checked Declare out of the library, so I guess voting that. But all of these look good and are going on my read-eventually list anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, let's go with Njal's and save the others for next month.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, let's go with Njal's and save the others for next month.

Any recommendation on which translation to get?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any recommendation on which translation to get?

penguin

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Penguin publishes both the robert cook and the magnusson translations...

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
oh i forgot about magnusson. cook is fine, it has more recent scholarship behind it.

alternatively you could just learn old norse; it takes legitimately a weekend to become conversant in it. be a man.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

oh i forgot about magnusson. cook is fine, it has more recent scholarship behind it.

alternatively you could just learn old norse; it takes legitimately a weekend to become conversant in it. be a man.

any online tutorials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

any online tutorials?

yes, actually! this one is pretty good. there's also an excellent book by Jesse L. Byock, a great scholar who's done a ton of translation work.

i'm only being slightly facetious when i say you can pick it up in a weekend; i know a girl who was enrolled in an ON class but only went to about 3 lectures over the course of the semester, then sat down saturday morning and just...learned the language for the final on Monday. passed the class with something like a high B. it took me a few weeks to be able to workthrough it, but then i never gave it my full attention.

it's an inflected language, so if you know how those work you'll already be at a significant advantage,* but there are a few things that make ON really easy to pick up:

1) the case endings are super simplified. no declension bullshit, not too many irregularities.
2) the grammar is sensible. word order makes sense, and usually isn't wildly different from english.
3) this is the big one - small vocabulary. you can read most extant ON texts with maybe a decent grasp on ~300 words and not have to look up too much
3a) a TON of cognates. 'angr' means anger, 'gestr' means guest, and so on. this gets easier, too, once you learn the pronunciation, and start figuring out that 'hrafn' means raven.

* and if by chance you have Old English (or to a slightly lesser extant German), this'll be a cake walk.

• Locked thread