Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Jags were the most impressive team talent wise I've seen the Bengals play all year fwiw

Gonna be hard to beat the Steelers twice, assuming the Jags get past the Bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eric the Mauve posted:

Fortunately for the Jaguars, they only have to beat the Steelers once to advance to the AFC Championship

e: I agree Jaguars/Steelers is about 50-50, maybe 60-40 in favor of the Steelers, and I agree the Jaguars are a worse matchup for the Patriots than the Steelers are--but not by much. Jaguars would be like maaaaaybe 10% to go into New England and win.

I think Belichick would rather play Pittsburgh because he fully expects to win either way, but Jacksonville would beat Brady up pretty good along the way and Pittsburgh wouldn't

I was referring to the Jags stomping Pittsburgh earlier this season.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seiferguy posted:

Aren't amazing athletes usually bad coaches? The only exception i can think of is Sadaharu Oh.

Yeah, truly top tier players like MJ are almost always terrible coaches, since the stuff that came naturally to them most likely isn't gonna be easy for anybody else. Also, MJ was competitive to the point of sociopathy, so that doesn't help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a neat cape posted:

I'd imagine some of the more cerebral stuff could be coached. Jerry Rice I think could make a good WR coach since his game was so predicated on route running. That can be taught, unlike someone like Moss going "be faster and jump higher than everyone"

Rice, possibly, if they buy into his insane training.

Also, while I don't know this, I assume Rice would punish himself by catching balls and running routes for every ball he dropped.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalli posted:

Rice had a really insane workout regiment that I think he talked about was due to never getting the approval of his father.

Like he'd just run up a hill with a tire tied to himself over and over and over again

Yeah, the only other insane training I've heard that matches Rice's is Kurt Angle's when he was training for the '96 Olympics.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Rice, the NFL apparently put all the vids for the Top 100 Players of All Time on Youtube. Gruden sounds batshit insane in normal conversation, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHXUWP99bM

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Herschel Walker did (and still does apparently) some really insane poo poo.

It might have messed up his career since he wouldn't let himself heal after injury.

Man, if there was ever an "American Athlete Hall of Fame", Herschel, Jim Thorpe, and Bo Jackson would be the first class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"I'm bitter! You were too good!"

• Locked thread