Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Happy New Year and welcome to the Imp Zone Game Club 2018 Thread!

This is a thread to play and talk about a bunch of different games this year. We're going to have a new game every 2 weeks. I'm picking the first game, but after this one we'll play games chosen by other Imps. The console will be set each time but the games are up to you! If you beat a game, you get a badge. For games that have an obvious challenge, you can get a different badge for doing that. If you can think of a challenge when you're suggesting a game, please do.

About a week into each game I'll start up a poll containing the suggestions for the next game, and whichever game is winning at the end of that week will be what we play next.

Game 1 (January 1 - January 14): The Legend of Zelda (NES)

The Legend of Zelda is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Nintendo and designed by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka. Set in the fantasy land of Hyrule, the plot centers on a boy named Link, the playable protagonist, who aims to collect the eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom in order to rescue Princess Zelda from the antagonist, Ganon. During the course of the game, the player sees Link from a top-down perspective and must navigate him through the overworld and several dungeons, defeating enemies and finding secrets along the way.

This is the golden cartridge that got me started gaming, so I thought that it would be a good choice to start this thread off. If you've never played it before, this handout came with the game and should contain everything you need to complete it. The first quest, at least...

Badges
Gamer: Beat the First Quest
Imp: Beat the Second Quest

Bonus content:
Zelda 1 Randomizer: This program randomizes many different elements of the Zelda 1 overworld and dungeons. It's a great way to get more out of Zelda 1 if you've played it to death. I recommend Chaos mode.
ZHelper: This is an automap program that's intended to be used with Zelda 1 Randomizer, but you can use it with the regular game as well.

Game 2 (January 15 - January 28): Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation One)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a platform-adventure action role-playing game developed and published by Konami in 1997 for the PlayStation. It was directed and produced by Toru Hagihara, with Koji Igarashi acting as assistant director. It is the direct sequel to Castlevania: Rondo of Blood taking place four years later. It features Dracula's dhampir son Alucard as the protagonist rising from his slumber to explore the Dracula's castle which has re-appeared after Richter Belmont has vanished. It marks a break from previous games in the series, introducing exploration, non-linear level design and role-playing elements.

Initially, the game was unsuccessful – particularly in the United States where it was meagerly publicized – but thanks to praise by critics, it gained sales through word-of-mouth and became a hit. It has been re-released on several consoles and is considered a sleeper hit, a cult classic, and one of the best video games ever made.

Badges
Gamer: Beat the game as Alucard
Imp: Beat all bosses as Richter

Bonus Content:
Secret codes: There are 3 different secret codes you can enter once you've beat the game in the original PSX version of Symphony of the Night. These are input on the name entry screen.

RICHTER - Play as Richter Belmont
AXEARMOR - Play as Axe Lord Armor
X-X!V''Q - Begin the game as Alucard with 99 luck

Game 3 (January 29 - February 11): Super Hang-On (Sega Genesis)

Super Hang-On (スーパーハングオン) is a motorcycle racing arcade game released by Sega, and the sequel to the acclaimed Hang-On. A version of this game, in the full simulated-motorcycle cabinet used by the original Hang-On, was released in 1991 as Limited Edition Hang-On.

The arcade mode in Super Hang-On is similar to the original Hang-On. However, there is a choice of four tracks to race on which are based on continents, each containing a different amount of stages. Also, should the player reach the normal maximum speed of 280 km/h, a turbo button is enabled. Using this button allows the player to reach an even higher top speed of 324 km/h. Each stage is roughly half the length of a stage in the original Hang-On. Africa is the easiest and shortest out of the four courses (six stages). Asia is the second easiest and is similar in length to the course from the original Hang-On at ten stages long. The Americas is the second to toughest course, containing 14 stages and Europe is the hardest course, being 18 stages long. When the player starts a race, they have their choice of four songs that will play during the race, a feature borrowed from Out Run.

I've always thought of Super Hang-On as the ultimate game of threading a needle. That might sound weird but I think it's an extremely intense game that I've never been able to beat the third course in. Good Luck Imps! We're going with Arcade mode for this, but feel free to try out Original mode if you want.

Badges
Gamer: Complete the Africa, Asia and Americas Courses
Imp: Complete the Europe Course

Game 4 (February 12 - February 25): Gargoyle's Quest (Game Boy)

Gargoyle's Quest: Ghosts 'n Goblins is an action-adventure game for the original Game Boy. Developed by Capcom, it was released on May 2, 1990, in Japan, then North America in July, and lastly Europe in 1991. The playable character Red Arremer (Firebrand in the U.S.) made his debut in the video game series Ghosts 'n Goblins as an antagonist character. Gargoyle's Quest was followed by the NES prequel Gargoyle's Quest II in 1992 which also received an enhanced version on the Game Boy, and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System sequel Demon's Crest in 1994.

This game took out 14 games in a row to take the top spot, and I can see why. Just look at that cover! I've been interested in playing Demon's Crest for some time now so I'm excited for this one.

Badges
Gamer: Complete Gargoyle's Quest
Imp: Complete Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon's Darkness

I really liked this idea so I went with it. GQII's Game Boy version wasn't released in English, but it is an upgraded version with a few bonus levels. I'll provide a link to a translation of it in the bonus content.

Bonus Content:
Gargoyle's Quest II Translation Patch
Gargoyle's Quest Instruction Manual

Game 5 (February 26 - March 11): Goemon's Great Adventure and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Goemon's Great Adventure (がんばれゴエモン~でろでろ道中 オバケてんこ盛り~ Ganbare Goemon Derodero Dōchū Obake Tenko Mori, "), known as Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon in Europe, is a video game developed and released by Konami for the Nintendo 64 on December 23, 1998. It is the third game in the Ganbare Goemon series released in North America and Europe, following Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, released two years earlier. Featuring platform gameplay in 2.5D, it marked the return of the series to a side-scrolling format.

The quirky story highlights Goemon's quest to stop the evil Bismaru, who has stolen Wise Man's resurrection machine. Goemon and his friends must journey through five worlds to battle the revived Dochuki, prince of the underworld, and destroy the captured device. Each world is designed with Japanese styles and themes, and Goemon's Great Adventure continues the series' tradition of offbeat, surreal humor.

The game was received well, selling over 160,000 copies worldwide. Reminiscent of older, 16-bit games, the side-scrolling system was lauded by reviewers, who also praised the two-player cooperative mode. The game's vibrant graphics and musical score earned high marks as well. Reviewers have considered it the best side-scroller for the Nintendo 64.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, known as Ganbare Goemon: Neo Momoyama Bakufu no Odori (がんばれゴエモン~ネオ桃山幕府のおどり~, "Go for it, Goemon: Dance of the Neo Peach Mountain Shogunate") in Japan, is a platform action-adventure video game released by Konami for the Nintendo 64 on August 7, 1997 in Japan and April 16, 1998 in North America as the fifth entry in the Ganbare Goemon series. The second Goemon game released in North America, it follows The Legend of the Mystical Ninja and features hybrid elements of platform games and action-adventure games.

The story follows Goemon's struggles to prevent the Peach Mountain Shoguns gang from turning Japan into a Westernized fine arts theater. The plot calls for three cinematic musical features and battles between giant robots; like other Ganbare Goemon games, it is peppered with surrealist humor and anachronisms.

I've only played Goemon's Great Adventure, so I'm excited to give Mystical Ninja a try. GGA is one of my favorite co-op games and it definitely has my favorite soundtrack on the N64.

Badges
Gamer: Beat Either Goemon's Great Adventure or Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Imp: Beat Both Games

Game 6 (March 12 - March 25): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is a platform-adventure video game developed by Konami for the PC Engine's Super CD-ROM System directed by Toru Hagihara. It is set in the fictional universe of the Castlevania series, where the protagonist Richter Belmont goes to save his lover Annette, who was abducted by Dracula. It was released in Japan on October 29, 1993. A direct sequel to it, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, was released in 1997. The game was remade for the Super Nintendo as Castlevania: Dracula X, and the PlayStation Portable as Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. In 2008, the original game was released for the Wii's Virtual Console service in Japan and for the North American and PAL regions in 2010.

Badges
Gamer: Beat the Game as Richter
Imp: Beat the Game as Maria
TG-16 Badge: Beat any of the other suggestions

Future systems to be decided.

I promise to keep this thread going if people are in for trying this again.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Badges

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 4, 2018

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Badges

Xbox Ambassador fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 20, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Reserved for badges

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in. Well I won't be able to do this first game but future weeks I should be able to

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Reserved. Great resurrection of a great idea.
Badges:

Spoderman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 21, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hype as gently caress. So many good memories of playing this game with my mom.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trophy Case Post

American McGay fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 9, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 18, 2018

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've gotten like halfway through the original LoZ a couple of times but i always end up losing track of where i'm supposed to go, I'll finish it for sure this time.

Badges:

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 23, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Badges

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 24, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Main quest isn't bad but the second quest is brutal if you didn't have a Nintendo Power subscription.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Never beaten the original LoZ either. Just picked this up on 3ds to play along with you imps

Badges

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 20, 2018

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
gently caress yeah I'm in. I haven't beaten Zelda nes before so how's my chance

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

this sounds really fun

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 17, 2018

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

last beat zelda 1 when i actually had it on the NES lol this would be fun. thanks for this thread, eagle

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are emulators ok i wasnt able to get a nes classic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

bump_fn posted:

Of course, in fact game recommendations should be easy to emulate. Forgot to mention that in the OP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

the nes and snes classic are android emulators inside 3d printed cases

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
psx suggestion: sotn, regular could be just beating the game, imp could be inverted as well

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

bump_fn posted:

psx suggestion: sotn, regular could be just beating the game, imp could be inverted as well

This, or the original MGS

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Orville posted:

MGS would be cool, I just bought it for Vita a few weeks ago

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

The Orville posted:

Yeah mgs!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've always wanted to try Crash Bandicoot but idk if it's actually any good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm in. it's been, uh... 2 decades since i've beaten this game.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Just got through level 3. Anyone past make it past that yet?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Just got through level 3. Anyone past make it past that yet?

Yes. Get the white sword now if you haven't already.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I've always wanted to try Crash Bandicoot but idk if it's actually any good.

I always liked Medievil more than crash, in that genre and timeframe.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Jumping Flash is a cool PSX game that perhaps not everyone's gotten to play before

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

goferchan posted:

Jumping Flash is a cool PSX game that perhaps not everyone's gotten to play before

Thinking about that game is making me sick lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I suggested it in the last incarnation of the club, but I still think Intelligent Qube would be a good PSX choice

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Yes. Get the white sword now if you haven't already.

Yeah I found the old guy in the top part of the swastika of level 3 that told me where to get it

Really helped with those slime dudes who split into smaller guys

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Spoderman posted:

I suggested it in the last incarnation of the club, but I still think Intelligent Qube would be a good PSX choice

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sotn:

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 2, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Excited 2 do this

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah I found the old guy in the top part of the swastika of level 3 that told me where to get it

Really helped with those slime dudes who split into smaller guys

for the last time its a manji, ugh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm gonna start on LoZ this coming weekend, i am happy this thread is alive

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Beat the first 5 dungeons but now I can't remember the route through the lost woods. Gonna pay the old woman for the secret rather than check a faq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Going to try this out. Never played Zelda before.

• Locked thread