Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hype as gently caress. So many good memories of playing this game with my mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Main quest isn't bad but the second quest is brutal if you didn't have a Nintendo Power subscription.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Just got through level 3. Anyone past make it past that yet?

Yes. Get the white sword now if you haven't already.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah I found the old guy in the top part of the swastika of level 3 that told me where to get it

Really helped with those slime dudes who split into smaller guys

for the last time its a manji, ugh

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Beat the first 5 dungeons but now I can't remember the route through the lost woods. Gonna pay the old woman for the secret rather than check a faq.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

Stopped my first section after throwing myself at manhandla a couple of times, he starts moving crazy fast with just one head left, gonna try again in a sec because i seem to remember you can just bomb him and get all four heads at once.

Yes, he's really easy that way it just takes one bomb.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I ran out of bombs in death mountain and then my Wii U gamepad ran out of battery. I'll finish the first quest tonight.

Definitely going to need to break out the graph paper to map out the second quest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

First quest down. Ganon was a pushover once I finally found him.

Now the real journey begins.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Magic sword will make it much easier they only take two hits.

now blue wizzrobes can gently caress right off

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah i have good sword. lyle is right, just wondering if there was like an item that hosed them

I think bombs are the only item that hurts them, and not a bad decision at all if you have some to spare.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Orville posted:

Dungeon 4 in second quest ugh

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

First quest down. This was the first time I've actually beaten the original TLOZ, I always petered out some time in the last few dungeons. I'm not sure if I'll tackle the second quest

Congrats!
Do you like solving puzzles that aren't actually puzzles but are just randomly burning down every tree in the game until you find the dungeon entrance? If so then the 2nd quest is for you.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I didn't find the wizzrobes that hard tbh at least you could block their attacks with the magic shield. I had way more trouble with darknuts and their turning 180 degrees on a dime.

Attack from the side. They don't turn until they reach the center of a tile so you can line up safe shots.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Maybe this is something about the 3ds virtual console emulator, but the wizzrobes for me would go slightly transparent and you could see them move from place to place so you could avoid them easily

Are they supposed to be completely invisible?

NES sprites flicker when too many things are in the same horizontal row so they can more or less disappear completely.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

extremebuff posted:

i got the boomerang in lvl 1 and figured that was the dungeon item, it really hosed me up that level 2's item was a magic boomerang. even the manual in the OP is confusing because the bow looks like the boomerang (and you never need it until 6, the dungeon that gives you something that could Shoot The Eye Of Gohma), and im trying to keep the playthrough pure

good thing i still had vague memories of stuff like the flute for level 7 and burning bushes for extra hearts and secrets or id be pulling my hair out probably

Without vague memories the second quest would probably take me months.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Halfway through the second, don't know if I'll finish. Let's bomb every surface, burn every bush, push every rock from all four directions, and blow the whistle on every screen. Reward: a dungeon with red bubbles and 8 blue wizzrobes in one room.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

Done the first quest. Might do second over the weekend, not decided yet. seemed like a thing with the wizzrobes was to always be "between" squares, not fully on one or the other. they didn't seem to shoot if you weren't fully on the same row as them. or maybe that was just me.

The shooting isn't even the problem since big shield blocks it, it's the blue assholes bumping into you and taking two hearts apiece.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My SotN disk is in a box with my psx god knows where, dunno if I'll be in on this one.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Richter mode is really easy, especially all bosses because you get so powerful with each boss kill

Yeah, chaining specials to get to the bat accessible areas is a bigger pain than the fights.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Phantasy Star IV isn't very long even if it's an RPG. That's my suggestion. I think it would be easier to do in a week than PS2.

I made it to the end of PS4 on a rental as a kid so yeah it's totally doable.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dunno which imps I'm more jealous of, these guys or the ones playing FF6 for the first time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Richter mode all bosses complete!

Final map.

Good luck with Galamoth all

Is galamoth the giant lightning guy? I always had to cheese him with the item that makes you absorb lightning damage, doing him in Richter mode scares me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

fighting game inputs in non fighting games are extremely ftw

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

it unironically owns that 90% of the items you find are useless

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

SotN is the only Metroidvania-style Castlevania game I've beaten actually. I liked what I played of Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia though

Aria is great. Dawn of Sorrow isn't quite as good but has an awesome Richter mode that's basically Castlevania 3.

Only real bad one is Harmony of Dissonance.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What’s wrong with Harmony of Dissonance

it looks bad and it's not fun to play

It's not abysmally unplayable but you'd have more fun doing the unlockable modes in one of the other five games if you found yourself still craving more 'vania.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It is finished. I don't have time for Richter mode but I wish I did cause it owns.

Game was way easier then I remember, I think I'll do luck mode next time I play it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lords of Thunder is a pretty good shooter with a cool soundtrack

Gamer- beat the game

Imp- beat it using something other than the water armor

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Metal Warriors.

Gamer: Beat the game.

Imp: Emerge victorious in a VS mode tournament.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cobalt Viper posted:

Suggestion: Soul Blazer

Gamer: Beat the game.

Imp: idk there's noting really optional in this game but I still think people should play it cause it's really good.

Imp could be beating sort-of-sequels Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i liked it when i played it but that was like 10 years ago, idk. ok maybe like cybernator or something instead

I love Cybernator but it's a very easy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I beat Ys I & II a while back. They were good but had the Ys problems of mandatory grinding and bosses that are impossible if you're one level below expected and trivial if you're one level above.

• Locked thread