Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Is the version that you can unlock in Dracula X Chronicles a decent port or should I just go with the PS1 Classic version? I know the Dracula X port has new voice acting

it's a fine port and the additions/changes won't really matter if you've never played the game before but I'm guessing most people will be playing the original version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDGHlqd4nsc

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rocket Knight Adventures, Shinobi 3, Contra Hard Corps

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

i recommend nothing european

Kid Chameleon might as well be european

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
the Bloodlines haters are crazy

Contra Hard Corps and Dynamite Headdy are two games where the US version is way harder - Contra removes the three-hit lifebar, Headdy changes a shitload of stuff

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Snatcher, Shining Force CD and versions of poo poo that are better elsewhere, that's pretty much all Sega CD has going for it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

sector_corrector posted:

are there actually any cool saturn exclusives? i've never played a saturn game in my life, so this is a big blank spot for me

yes but most of them are very arcade-y, it's not like PSX where there are a thousand games for every genre

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
the mode 7 parts are lame but you can blow through them really fast so whatever

Hard Corps is all side-scrolling, it doesn't have big gimmicks like the previous games. the hook is multiple playable characters with different moves/weapons and branching level progression with multiple endings

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
they increase Alucard's height by one pixel

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I really want to play all those SOTN-like Castlevania games for GBA and DS now.

they're all at least good and a couple of them are right up there with SOTN

Circle of the Moon is a SOTN-style game but the SOTN people didn't make it so it's weird in ways I like but many SOTN fans don't, the others are directly derivative of SOTN with twists that are usually interesting

there's also Harmony of Despair for X360/PS3 which is fun if you like loving around with the characters

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
if you're not playing the console-exclusive mode then just play the actual arcade game, it's the same thing but prettier and at a higher framerate

the original mode is a quasi-RPG thing, you get money after every race that you use to upgrade your bike, mechanic, etc and there are rivals who taunt you on the menus and sponsors who give you bigger payouts per race. once you crash a few times your expensive parts break and if you don't have sufficient parts you literally can't race and the only way to earn more money is to enter and get forced out of a race a thousand times until you have enough consolation money to fix your bike. it's a fun idea but it's basically just the arcade game with grinding

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sudden Javelin posted:

So for Super Hang-On, it's the version that the 3DS remaster is based on? We can play that?

3DS version is the original arcade game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
if you don't pick Outride a Crisis you won't win

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bionic Commando (black and white, not Elite Forces for GBC)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 29, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I remember tennis being better on GBC and golf being better on GBA

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hybrid Heaven

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

extremebuff posted:

this is what i meant yea, and even a lot of those classics havent aged well.

i got so spoiled playing starfox 64 on an emulator with crisp graphics and a smooth framerate. a few months ago i played the real game on an n64 at a friend's and it struggles really hard at many points, the entire underwater level runs at 8fps and its a blurry dark mess, I had to laugh when slippy chimes in with "It's beaaaautiful!"

the framerate in that level is deliberate, they wanted it to be slow so they literally just slowed it down

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

not 100% but if you play it using inaccurate emulation you can see which parts accurately scale in speed and which parts were lazily tuned by throttling the FPS. the Wii VC version was broken in this way and they had to patch it to get it running correctly

DK64 is the opposite, Rare made the character animations increase/decrease in speed relative to the average framerate of individual areas and if you play it in an emulator that doesn't accurately mimic the slowdown they go nuts

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
cool game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzrMzO9vFFA&t=164s

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
every Valis game sucks but they mostly suck for unique reasons

Psycho Dream is a Valis-style game by the Valis team that sucks less than real Valis

Ghost Sweeper Mikami is another Valis-style game by better developers and it's not bad but it takes a level or two to really get going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
cool, you didn't beat it, do it properly

• Locked thread