Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people, especially X-Men writers, get confused for being progressive with diverse female characters when they actually just have a broader and skeevier array of fetishes than usual.

...though that does go way back in comics. Wonder Woman was originally conceived as a female character that male readers would want to submit to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

remusclaw posted:

People doing comics now are all fans of a very specific time in comics when they were kids, should be fun when the 90's kids get hold of those books and kill off or shunt off all the silver age dudes again for the sake of bringing Wally West, Kyle Rayner and Jubilee back into prominence.

New characters? What's that?

Move over super relatable and interesting and way cooler than anyone else character,Kamala Khan, it's 2025 and it's time for Blood Gun-Splosion to make a comeback -- Some 90s Kid working at Marvel

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

Move over super relatable and interesting and way cooler than anyone else character,Kamala Khan, it's 2025 and it's time for Blood Gun-Splosion to make a comeback -- Some 90s Kid working at Marvel

Um, his name is Adam X. :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Also, this isn't hypothetical anymore. One can argue that the new 52 is that. Because it basically did make the DC Universe like early Image Comics. And it was headed by Jim Lee, a prolific 90s artist who founded Image Comics and worked on a Comics Universe in the 90s called Wild Storm. Willd storm was integrated into the DC Universe during the New 52 and now has its own series by Garth Ennis in its own universe ( it's also a really good book).

I think the influence of the 90s kids happened a while ago.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 24, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It needs to move up, I want another Nextwave run.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think if you count Deadpool then it's already happening. Venom, too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

I think the influence of the 90s kids happened a while ago.

DC was just finally catching up to Heroes Reborn.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think if you count Deadpool then it's already happening. Venom, too.

To be fair, venom has been underutilized for the last 10 years. Specifically Eddie Brock Venom. And Donny Cates is knocking it so hard out of the park that the ball hasn't just left the park it has left the atmosphere and it is passed through the sun and it is now exiting the solar system and it's on its way to exit and enter Alpha Centauri within the year.

What I'm saying is you should be reading Donny Cates Venom.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DC was just finally catching up to Heroes Reborn.

I take New 52 and DC You over Heroes Reborn any day. Especially as those two relaunch is actually weren't that bad and had some good stories in them, but just couldn't keep the momentum and rebirth was necessary to fix everything.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Liquid Communism posted:

It needs to move up, I want another Nextwave run.

There's literally never a bad time for more Nextwave. I'd love some more X-Statix as well, but that's never gonna happen.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

NEXTWAVE movie when
(NEXTWAVE is love)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/burgerdrome/status/1077049480447385601

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lol Spikey Bits is trash

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Willd storm was integrated into the DC Universe during the New 52 and now has its own series by Garth Ennis in its own universe ( it's also a really good book).
Seriously, Ennis is doing Wildstorm? Like, Apollo and Midnighter Wildstorm? Garth "anal sex is hilarious" Ennis?

Oh god that means he gets Hellstrike to play with, too. I don't even need to read it to have a decent idea how that goes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm always mixing up Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Easy. Edgy gay rape and castration jokes, brings up Vietnam more than Walter Sobchak, you just accidentally read Irish History 101: Ennis. Someone's got a computer in their brain, acerbic insults, you just accidentally visited a science lecture on something esoteric you didn't even know existed: Ellis.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Digging up an extremely obscure part of comics history, connecting a character to aspects of spiritualism and psychology at the same time, acknowledging the fact you're reading a comic book in the story, heavy use of psychedelics: Morrison. Just in case.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Seriously, Ennis is doing Wildstorm? Like, Apollo and Midnighter Wildstorm? Garth "anal sex is hilarious" Ennis?

Oh god that means he gets Hellstrike to play with, too. I don't even need to read it to have a decent idea how that goes.

Ellis is writing a relaunch of Wildstorm. Ennis also wrote some Kev and Midnighter books for The Authority back in the noughties, which I haven't read because I prefer Ennis' larger-than-life war veterans and crime dramas (and maybe his over-the-top spy antics, even) to his incredibly bitter, self-loathing superhero stories. (And I don't much like superhero stories anyway.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sorry, its Warren Ellis doing Wildstorm. I always mix him up with Garth Ennis.

Also they kind of scaled everything back right now. The main series is just a spy for Thriller where beings with extra human powers are involved. And there is a spin-off story where one of the assassins from the main series kills evil versions of the Justice League in the alternate Earth to protect it. To explain the latter, some people were wondering where the DC Superheroes were since it's now part of the DC Multiverse so the series basically explains that they exist but they're all super villains.

Covok fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 24, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

Ellis is writing a relaunch of Wildstorm. Ennis also wrote some Kev and Midnighter books for The Authority back in the noughties, which I haven't read because I prefer Ennis' larger-than-life war veterans and crime dramas (and maybe his over-the-top spy antics, even) to his incredibly bitter, self-loathing superhero stories. (And I don't much like superhero stories anyway.)

I thought Ennis'd be done with supers after he got it out of his system in The Boys....

Which I see is getting a TV release. :gonk:

I have no idea how they make that able to be shown on TV. At all. It has so much Ennis in it that's central to the plot.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 24, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Ellis has his tendencies but he's at least fairly creative. The average Transmetropolitan had some really neat poo poo going on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Ellis has his tendencies but he's at least fairly creative. The average Transmetropolitan had some really neat poo poo going on.

It's easy for me to separate Ennis and Ellis. Ellis writes about transhumanism, the breakdown of systems, and cynicism covering caring about things; all with a lot of swearing.

Ennis writes stuff like a rage-zombie beating people with his severed genitals while screaming 'HORSECOCK', or superhero stories where all the upstanding citizens are pedophilic cannibals. Ennis has basically zero brakes, and everyone in a position of power in any of his stories is secretly a monster. Preacher, The Boys, Crossed... all his work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In fairness "anyone in a position of power is a monster" is just art initiating life. Ennis just tends to be crass about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Warren Ellis apparently is the lead writer for Netflix Castlevania, which has its regional accents, lots of blood n' guts and dead kids and swearing and world-weary cynical protagonists with a heart, just less sci-fi than usual. Mostly.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

In fairness "anyone in a position of power is a monster" is just art initiating life. Ennis just tends to be crass about it.

There's a passage in The Punisher: Valley Forge, Valley Forge where the conspiracy of eight generals has one member utter some immense racism, which goes uncommented upon by the other seven generals. The first time I read it, I felt that it was kind of eye-roll-worthy that the evil generals were also racists. Like, when someone's evil you don't have to have them engage in every moral depravity just to emphasize the point, y'know?

I no longer roll my eyes when rereading that issue.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

This seemed like as good a place as any to ask, how's the Doctor Who game on Bundle of Holding right now? Would it work as a kid's first rpg? My cousins are 8 and 11 and love Doctor Who.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

xanthan posted:

This seemed like as good a place as any to ask, how's the Doctor Who game on Bundle of Holding right now? Would it work as a kid's first rpg? My cousins are 8 and 11 and love Doctor Who.

I haven't played the game in years, but I'd say yes. It's got some weird mechanical breakpoints, but nothing that you can't push through, and it has a lot of built-in Doctor Who flavor. Character creation was a little weird, and I think they could have done more with less, but the overall game isn't that hard, especially if you work with either the pre-gen characters or making the characters together.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Nomad is all about always being 5 minutes away from just bugging out of this dimension, only being held back by the handful of friendships they've formed on Earth, and their player has to take special care to actually give out influence lest they end up with no good reason to stick around.

That's the polar opposite of a character whose core conceit is having lost their place in the world and actively trying to turn The Team into a replacement family.

Except that in the framing material for the Nomad, they explicitly caution you against actually being 5 minutes and a piece of depleted chrononite/the passphrase to the portal out/the defeat of Dr. Birdcage from just bugging out of this dimension. "Just bug out of this dimension" is an advanced move. The effect of not giving out influence is being completely unable to comfort or support anyone, and vice versa.

I mean, what's the tension around somebody who's trying to make The Team into a replacement family? Isn't it that it's not going to work this time, either? Opening up to people means finding comfort in ways you couldn't before, but it also means making yourself vulnerable in ways you might not be comfortable with? It seems like the extra "Putting Down Roots" lines up well with that.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

LatwPIAT posted:

There's a passage in The Punisher: Valley Forge, Valley Forge where the conspiracy of eight generals has one member utter some immense racism, which goes uncommented upon by the other seven generals. The first time I read it, I felt that it was kind of eye-roll-worthy that the evil generals were also racists. Like, when someone's evil you don't have to have them engage in every moral depravity just to emphasize the point, y'know?

I no longer roll my eyes when rereading that issue.

This reminds me of that time during the KKK arc of The Preacher when one of the rank and file klansmen wonders if their leader might be going a little overboard with the racism. I forget the exact line but it was along the lines of "It's all he ever talks about."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, the meat-processing mogul dude with the full-on nazi fetishist working for him got side-eyed by the local Klan for being too obsessed with racism for even them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Ain't that the point?"
"Yeah, but we talk about other stuff too, y'know."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah. Just the other day Joe Bob and I had us a real good conversation about tractor pulls."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Merry Christmas, you goddamn nerds.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got Dice Throne for Christmas.

Super fun game. Enjoying it a whole bunch.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I have been trying to get into doing tabletop games for a while, but I never seem to able to do it. I've tried doing tabletop sim / finding online groups, but I haven't had a lot of luck. Generally the expectation is that you know how to play the game, and don't really know how to play many (especially as far as roleplaying games go). I have a comic book place near me that has people playing at pretty much all hours, but I legit don't even know how to approach getting in a game there. Usually the games are all already ongoing and it seems like groups of people who know each other meeting up there to play a game rather than waiting for people to show up and play with them.

If I wanted to start, whats the best way to get into tabletop stuff?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

eonwe posted:

I've tried doing tabletop sim / finding online groups, but I haven't had a lot of luck.

Well, when are you available?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

eonwe posted:

So I have been trying to get into doing tabletop games for a while, but I never seem to able to do it. I've tried doing tabletop sim / finding online groups, but I haven't had a lot of luck. Generally the expectation is that you know how to play the game, and don't really know how to play many (especially as far as roleplaying games go). I have a comic book place near me that has people playing at pretty much all hours, but I legit don't even know how to approach getting in a game there. Usually the games are all already ongoing and it seems like groups of people who know each other meeting up there to play a game rather than waiting for people to show up and play with them.

For IRL play, your two main options are to start a group yourself (or be asked by someone doing this), or to just muscle in on a group already playing. The latter was how I got into the hobby - I saw people playing in a commons area at uni and basically introduced myself and asked if they had room. Obviously this sorta requires the stars to align - finding a good group in public at a glance, said group having room and recognizing that you aren't a weirdo, etc. - but in my experience it's easier than you may think.

It's easy to assume you can't start your own group because you assume no one in your circle would be interested, but again, you might be surprised. I started a group recently and, while I knew these people were dorks of various colors, none of them had any experience roleplaying at all but apparently had secretly wanted to try it but just didn't know how to get involved (weird how that works). I basically just asked around until I found 3 people who wanted to try and did that. This definitely seems daunting, especially if you assume you'll need to be a perfect GM from day 1, but I find people are very understandable if you simply say "I don't know the rule here so I'm going to wing it and make a note to check after the session" or "I don't have a good response to what you want to do, so everyone take a bathroom break and give me a few minutes to think about it."

Unfortunately the latter sorta assumes you're going to be running things which, while not as terrifying as you may assume, may not be what you want. Still, if you find a few people willing to try I've had success saying "let's try having a rotating GM after the first few sessions" or having people trade off between short campaigns or what have you.

None of this really addresses you not knowing the rules but really that'll just come down to you needing to spend an afternoon reading a rulebook at some point, especially if you're running a game. Hopefully this sounds more like a fun, relaxing afternoon rather than a chore.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

eonwe posted:

At game stores you can approach the counter and ask if anyone playing has open spots or accepts new players. A lot of places have bulletin board for game recruitment, too. Finding things that aren't D&D or D&D-adjacent can be a problem that will only be solved by you running a game yourself.

Established groups are often receptive to one shots or short games in new systems, if you offer to run them and the rulebooks aren't too thick. Like Countblanc said, making a new group is usually prefaced on you having to run the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I taught myself how to play a roleplaying game that I liked, and then invited my friends to play, and I taught the system to them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

I taught myself how to play a roleplaying game that I liked, and then invited my friends to play, and I taught the system to them.

The good news here is you can always say, "I'm not super clear on how this works either," and then just make rulings during play.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

eonwe posted:

I'd actually try to recruit regular friends to play with you. Show them the stuff that got you eager and interested and see if it gets them eager too. Yeah you'll probably have to be the GM, but I've always had more fun playing with friends. If you're really nervous about needing to play a bit first the other advice about local shops is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Apologies if this isn't the place for it; couldn't find a sort of general TTRPG thread and didn't want to gunk up the DM one

Has anyone played or DM'd Ryuutama? It has the super chilled out vibe I'm interested in giving a shot, but I'd just love to hear a first hand account of how it plays. I'm most interested in how the general flow of a session works, and over what sort of time