Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember reading a book about a D&D group who get sucked into the game world (their professor/DM was a wizard from that world, I think?) only to discover that while they had their characters' powers, they couldn't become any more powerful because they didn't know how to learn eg magic and the cleric couldn't pray for spells because she's an atheist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
*is transported into another universe where the physical laws are different*

*dies instantly as his atoms tear themselves apart as the subatomic forces work differently*

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah that situation is literally why GUMSHOE was written.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also GUMSHOE does investigation and nothing else whatsoever well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Having System Mastery covering Renegade Legion recently gave me a good cringe as I thought of that coming fairly close to being the very first Star Wars RPG.

I love that show but occasionally they cover some really awful space nonsense like that and I just can't stay interested. It's like the Manos episode of MST3K.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Renegade Legion is, at least, a more interesting game with historical context. It's easy to forget it had three video games, five different board games, novels, etc. FASA originally developed it to be their Star Wars game, but couldn't get the license, so they did an "original" setting instead and published it. FASA was good at pushing properties but their attempt at a spaceship equivalent of Battletech never quite caught on. Some of the spaceship rules were later recycled in Battletech products as well.

To be fair, the attitude they had for Renegade Legion is pretty much how I feel about Battletech (despite having played it a fair deal) - but then, I've probably never really gotten the appeal of most of FASA's output. They always put out products with high production values for their time, but I always felt there was kind of a uninspired, mechanical feel to most of what they did.

I love Shadowrun but AFAIK it's the only thing FASA ever put out that was very interesting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Creeping on teenage girls doesn’t make you a pedophile. Pedophilia is a sexual disorder where you’re sexually attracted to prepubescent children. Being a creep and a possible predator doesn’t mean a person is a pedophile

Just say "ephebophile" dude

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ellis has his tendencies but he's at least fairly creative. The average Transmetropolitan had some really neat poo poo going on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In fairness "anyone in a position of power is a monster" is just art initiating life. Ennis just tends to be crass about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I maintain that there's probably a good strategy game to be made that plays out on a city streets map and which has the players controlling private, pre-public firefighters trying to fight fires while preventing other player's firefighters from reaching their company's on-fire clients, but my efforts haven't yet produced workable rules.