Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My current GM wants to run Numenera when our 4e game wraps in a few months. Is there a Numenera/Cypher system thread I just didn't spot in the past couple pages? I'd like to know what issues and suck-traps to watch out for.

There's not really any "trap" options, but the fighter class will always be boringer and have less out-of-combat utility than the wizard class. The third class skims most of its abilities from both the fighter and wizard class, so it's half boring, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't play the Fighter, and probably don't play the Rogue. It's a Monte Cook game, so Wizards are the best.

An unavoidable issue is the basic design of the game:

1. your stat points are your hit points, and also your extra-effort points

2. at any time, the GM can introduce a complication to try and gently caress you over. You can either accept this and receive XP in exchange, or spend XP to block the GM. Since you also need XP to, you know, level up, this can get really annoying really quickly

3. if you ever roll a 1, you get to suffer a complication without the GM needing to reward you with any XP for it, and without being able to spend XP to block it. The "solution" is to never make any rolls, either by simply making poo poo happen (which is why Wizards rule), or by driving down the difficulty to 0 so you auto-succeed. Even the latter is going to have its share of issues, given that applying extra effort to drive down the difficulty further will cost you your stat points (see point 1).

My favorite bit is the HP pools are split across Might, Speed, and Intellect, and you have to pull from the appropriate pool to boost a roll through Effort. The abilities each class uses also generally require an expenditure of points from one of those pools, as appropriate. So, the wizard class uses their Intellect pool to cast spells, etc. The thing is, Might damage will always be the most common one because it's the default damage of any attack unless noted otherwise. Now, the fighter class has abilities that use the Speed pool, too, but the Speed pool is what is used to dodge attacks. So you can either burn points from your main HP pool for abilities, or burn points from your main defensive pool. There's basically no enemy attacks in the base rules that deal Intellect damage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Stickers are cool and a fun visual acknowledgement that you did something well. I won a book of puppy stickers in a joke raffle at work and started slipping them in stuff that got returned by our fact-checkers for corrections because wtf else was I supposed to do with them. Now they get upset if there's not a puppy sticker in something they get back from me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nickoten posted:

Someone in the previous thread asked where D&D got its usage of the term dungeon from. I don't have an answer to that, but I do know that the labyrinth from Greek mythology is a pretty classic example of something we'd see as a dungeon today, and it was designed as a prison for a horrifying monster/child out of wedlock.

I'm gonna look into whether Gygax or Arneson made any explicit statements about that.

I always assumed that Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser crawled into something described as a "dungeon" at least a couple of times

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Hey, the worst thing is I can never face running them because they all have the same problem I'm running into here :(

You've had the exact same argument with people in these threads over PbtA at least three times now, and each time it's come down to you barely understanding the rules, a deeply uncharitable reading of the bits you have read, and a frankly sociopathic assumption of Player/GM interactions in a game of collaborative storytelling. Maybe stick to games you're more comfortable with because there's clearly some part of the abstraction here you can't comprehend?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Since this all started because of the example score presented in Blades in the Dark, why don't we look at that while we're here. Keep in mind that you roll a fistful of d6s in BitD, with the highest number being your final success. 1-3 is a failure, 4-5 is a mixed success, 6 is a full success. The GM designates how well-positioned a character is for the roll: controlled, risky (default), or desperate. The ratio of successes doesn't change, just the weight of the consequences on a failed/mixed success roll.

The Dimmer Sisters are a tier 2 gang, which the players say is on their level, so this score is meant to be a group of experienced players running a gang they've already established and run some heists with. They're going up against a fairly equal opponent. Both the players and GM flesh out the setting with details as they go along, and where possible they use those details to their advantage/disadvantage. There's give and take, and you can also see how the clocks are implemented in play throughout the heist to hit key escalation/resolution points. If the characters hadn't hit the critical success that allowed them to discover the location of the object they wanted, there are plenty of openings to insert further clues to its whereabouts without a room-by-room tear-down of the area (which also wouldn't be very in the tone with professional thieving, really). The after-thoughts even admit this critical roll significantly shortened the score.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 8, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
tl;dr the PCs were after a glowing, humming artifact that a bunch of witches were gathered around in the middle of a ritual. If they flubbed that roll against the helpful spirit, they would have had to kill the other spirit, but otherwise there were definitely other easy ways to figure out where their target was.

Oh the free SRD for Blades in the Dark is also live, if anyone wanted to look at the rules: https://bladesinthedark.com/

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Blades seems to expect that every player will swap in a new character once the stress and traumas get to be too much. This could be a temporary change while the other character takes a physical/brain break to recover for a few heists, or maybe they do get ground down and die or have too many traumas to be reliable anymore. Unlike AW or a lot of related PBtA games, you can double up on playbooks in BitD.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
me earlier today: you know, maybe I was a bit harsh saying that guy's understanding of player/GM interactions is sociopathic and implying he has fundamental problems understanding non-toxic behavior in RPGs

me catching up on this thread: ahahaha welp

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

No. I tend to lose a lot of confidence at the old statement from the Ab3 rants - "think about the worst book ever published; it's better than the best thing you ever wrote.."

This isn't true and you've let this irrational fear warp your thinking in deeply unhealthy ways

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

By the way, hyphz, I just reread that whole like 7(!) page thing and you sound like a loving crazy person.

Have you tried reading the loving rules?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously, he admitted that he's terrified of ever-not-running a prefab adventure because of ancient catpiss stories from RPGnet, and then he wondered why a completely GM/Player-directed game with no practical or intended way to support a full campaign module is beyond his comprehension.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 9, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tekopo posted:

I think a misunderstanding is how many people treat RPGs as a game (and when I reference a game here I mean in the strictest possible way) which is what hyphz is doing, and how many people are treating RPGs as stories. I don't mean to bring this up in a "lol storygames aren't really games what idiots you are for playing them" btw and I really don't want the whole stupid "what is/isn't an RPG" argument to pop up.

It's not so much that something like the PBtA system is "less game and more story" than it is that building the story is the game of it. The win condition isn't to crawl out of the dungen with all your limbs and a sack of gold, but that you made an entertaining story about how that happened.

That's also why you can't do a premade module of the whole adventure. The appeal of the game is that both players and the GM drastically shape and redirect the story in play. If it was a campaign splat it'd get derailed in the first town.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yawgmoth posted:

Have you ever been in a game of anything where this wasn't the case anyways?

lol, no, but apparently hyphz has.

Tekopo posted:

Please note that in my wall of text, I was using a strict definition of what a "game" is as a mean to explain my argument, rather than making a value-judgement on PbtA. The strict interpretation of a "game" is that it is only a thing where people can explicitly win or lose in concrete terms (ie there is a defined win or loss trigger present within the game).

This, however, is not my personal interpretation of what a "game" is, and my own definition is much broader and does include PbtAs/other storygames. I just used the strict interpretation as a short hand for "an activity that has a strict win/loss condition": sorry that I didn't make this explicit.

I get what you're saying. The difference in a fail state of PbtA games is one of those would be a failure to create and entertaining story, which usually comes from compounding problems of inappropriate player/GM play and a weak adaption or understanding of Apocalypse World rules. In something like D&D it would be more like "my character/party wiped, time to reroll and try again."

e-not that it's impossible for D&D games to fail for other reasons, but for the most part it's hard to fail in a PbtA game or Blades like that so long as you enjoyed the way that story played out.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You keep revisiting the idea that for some reason players consenting to complications or adversity where it makes fictional sense is not playing "optimally" as through players and PCs are some objective truthbots that must break a game over their knees. Even though multiple people have told you this isn't how it works. In fact, it's the exact same broken logic Frank Trollman applied to FATE, so those comparisons earlier are disturbingly apt. Worse, this is the exact stupid argument James Desborough was making when he was wondering why PCs in Apocalypse World aren't a constant orgy ball rolling across the wastelands to optimize xp gain. I hope you're happy with this knowledge.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 9, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Sure, I’d be up for a deadpool RPG. But the problem is if the players don’t have their PCs say it, but they’re all thinking it. And as a result they end up disengaged in a way they wouldn’t if it was, say, a tactical underwater combat.

Remember 10 pages ago when you said you'd shut up if you were irritating people? You passed that threshold 9 pages ago. There is literally nothing else to say to you because at this point it's obvious you're either too obsessed with being right that you'll dismiss and reframe everything to prove your point to ludicrous extremes, you're arguing in bad faith for some weird reason, or maybe you really do have a brain parasite.

If this stuff is still for-real not getting through to you, consider taking a long vacation not thinking about it, then politely asking the Apocalypse World Thread/Dungeon World Thread/Blades in the Dark Thread/general PbtA thread for the most extensive list of basic-primers on PbtA games and playthroughs to review for weeks. You could also explore Savage Worlds, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Spellbound Kingdoms, Barbarians of Lemuria, Fragged Empire/Kingdom/Seas/Aeternum, 13th Age, PATROL, Unity RPG, or a thousand other games instead.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 11, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starfinder is also exceedingly dross, as it's almost literally Pathfinder In Space, with all of the genericness that that implies.

It is Pathfinder in space, with most of the creatures, races, gods, etc picked right out of it. They even had to create an in-universe memory hole to explain why no one remembers Golarion or the canon endings to their adventure paths. It's the most frustrating part to me because magic is real, coexists alongside advanced scifi junk, and is apparently worked into that somehow, but that's barely displayed in the execution of the space culture outside of one group of undead dudes having zombie spaceships.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

If I say nice things about you, can I get a physical copy of the original Breakfast Cult? You know, the one before the kickstarter that is objectively less playtested, has less content, and stolen art and is, overall, a worse product?

Don't you have some southerners to call "mongoloids that deserve to be murdered"?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

He's right though.

I welcome nuclear armageddon to the whole US. It's unfair to let the south have all the fun.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The reboot was because of the delay due to the original artist getting arrested for beating his wife.

e: to clarify, the guy got arrested, then kicked off the book.

Then the second replacement artist left after it became clear to her that the domestic-abuser was still quietly involved with the comic (and still good friends with the writer) after being publicly removed.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A lot of folks have positioned him for years as some secret master that deliberately tanked 4e (despite it being his livelihood) instead of, y'know, just being bad at design.

All I'm saying is that you don't have to make poo poo up about somebody when their actions are bad enough.

Anyone who says he deliberately sabotaged 4e is being ridiculous, ofc, but he did make some clear attempts to try to "address" complaints against 4e with Essentials and later 5e.

They were poorly-designed and done under some weird, myopic assumption that it was possible to "win back" people that had already settled into a new niche and were playing the games they wanted for the rest of time, but they were sure attempted.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Moriatti posted:

Isn't Ryuutama pretty light on combat?

In Ryuutama meeting hostile creatures is as common as any other dangerous turns in your journey. So you'll have to expect it to happen sooner or later the same way you expect a sudden nasty turn in the weather. Certain classes are rewarded more for fighting monsters, so you can expect to have more fights if someone picks, say, a Hunter over a Healer. The game actually has a fairly in-depth list of rules for monster item drops and how to sell their various parts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

4E's monster math didn't get formally good until the Monster Manual 3, but the Monster Vault is an Essentials trade dress redo of the first Monster Manual with all the classic staples like orcs, goblins, dragons, various sorts of undead, etc, and so if you want all the traditional D&D monsters but with the actual good statblocks you will want the Monster Vault, and then the MM3 for more variety.

The Dark Sun Creature Catalog uses the updated monster math, too. Those three books should have you pretty well set for most 4e games you'll ever play.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not really giving the designers poo poo, it just seems real weird to me in 2018 to pay for a supplement for a bad game that you know you'll have to convert/rewrite to get anything useful out of it because it's got some neat art I guess.

It's a cute idea with a diverse group of artists and writers, a lot of which are prominent webcomic (oxymoron, I know) creators. I don't have a reason to buy it because I don't want to touch 5e, but if someone else does I can see why. A lot of people will probably be backing it just for artbook purposes, I imagine.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

The art looks cute and all, but I'm almost certain that this isn't a thing

When I hear "80's neon noir" I'd jump to either Miami Vice or something cyberpunk. It's still a weird descriptor for "a feywild book with a retro 80s aesthetic".

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like it's just going to be statblocks and pretty pictures, the monster concepts and lore is as much part of it as the art.

Fair point, but I didn't see any fluff text in the preview material, even on the tumblr where they're posting monster stats, so I don't think I have enough to go on whether it'll be interesting or awkward.

LuiCypher posted:

Didn't 3.5e murder the supplement market anyways? The only supplements I ever see nowadays are first-party supplements, although I understand that definition is very loose considering the consultant-driven nature of writing RPG books that just happen to be published by the first-party.

5e did make their own fan-supplement digital storefront that a few other companies seemed to think was successful enough to copy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think they're really substitutes for each other.

They're not, but I don't think Haystack was implying that you could swap out the rules and get a better game. With how integrated the mechanics of SK are in the setting, you'd be rewriting a lot of stuff if you plugged it into 7th Sea's world. Having finally gotten to read over Honor + Intrigue, I'd say that'd work well as a simplified system for 7th Sea though.

senrath posted:

Yeah, from what I remember of Tippy his was less "this is how the game should be balanced" and more "if you take the rules as actually trying to represent a world here's how a handful of low level casters would make things a paradise for everyone".

Yeah if this is Tippy we're talking about, his thing was a general critique of how ridiculous a world would be where you can animate dead at a whim and have them running on treadmills to create endless power. I don't remember if he genuinely thought it'd be a good idea, or if it was meant as a thought exercise in how ridiculous and poorly-balanced 3e was, like with Pun-Pun, but it did get a bunch of weirdos who took it hyper-seriously and talked about making their own Tippy-magic settings.

The most insane guy I remember from those forums was the dude who thought the core 3e books were perfectly balanced and said the monk was an even match for a wizard. He even made his own "guide" for monks that was a dig at LogicNinja's Batman-Wizard guide. It involved using magic items to copy wizard spells and those eversmoking bottles to get the drop on one. You know, instead of 90% of the monk's class abilities or anything.

He also thought druid's were balanced because at any time you could shove a helm of opposite alignment on them to make them lose class abilities..... except since the helm only changes the good/evil side it wouldn't violate the 3e druid's alignment restriction of being some flavor of neutral.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr.Misfit posted:

So what´s the effect if you put it on the head of a True Neutral druid? Isn´t that kind of already logically failing his assumption?

Actually, looking back at the rules, it's left to the DM's discretion to make a neutral character LE, LG, CE, or CG. The rules don't specify if this is just for true neutral or all three forms, though. Because why be clear when you can argue at the table instead?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As opposed to this subforum, which went apeshit-nuts about a computer made of infinite skeletons.

All I remember is turbo-dracula and becoming the moon by running up a trail of weed smoke.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/965443031829692416

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

In other news, does anyone know what happened with the Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana kickstarter? It sort of said it was about to be released and then it wasn't.

He revealed the book cover on December 3rd, then like senrath said, he left a kickstarter comment on January 9th that he was "polishing" stuff.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Have you ever considered that your fear of not running a game based on an prefab adventure with an encyclopedic index of what-if responses to every situation, your perception of every human interaction ultimately being about being the best at applying emotional abuse and manipulation to come out ahead, and your inability to grasp basic principles of collaboration and support in PBTA games might be linked in an uncomfortable and personally-revealing way?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

I appreciate that it depicts a diverse and healthy group of friends having a good time, like most 40K fans, in contrast the pack of psychopaths that play Warmachine/Hordes and are undoubtedly Alt-Right.

Do you keep making these weird political takes in the thread because you're really hoping some warham nerd will tear into you and you'll finally be able to climax?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sorry, I forgot Warmachines is a different mini thing. Subtract that bit from my question.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The model and the reveal are sure cool, but I don't think I could manage to keep track of a 5+ session boss fight.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The abstract symbols on the FFG dice do take some time to adjust to, which is sure to slow down stuff at first. There's definitely something to be said for how intuitive numbers or even clear shorthand like + and - are for new players when using dice rolls.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The hardcover is fantastic, but good lord is it expensive and hard to find used. Good on them for having such a successful, well-made game though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

food court bailiff posted:

Even before the "initial 3". It took a hell of a long time for the DMG to finally be released - Hoard of the Dragon Queen actually came out a month or two beforehand IIRC.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat came out before the DMG. There was some delay with the DMG though. It might've been the time someone dev team had jury duty?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/973832169293574144

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

thefakenews posted:

Where's the chart for people who call it coriander, like God intended?

In hell, where god intended you to live

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Reminder that the british call their fries "chips" while they dipping them in mayo, and call their chips "crisps" while eating ketchup-prawn flavored ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

Unless a show is serial in nature, I think most podcasts would prefer their early episodes died in a mysterious electrical fire. I know I wish ours would. We were all formal and grumpy, they're terrible. I always tell new listeners to work through our stuff backwards. We get the occasional new listener that's commenting on like Episode 1 and is all "guys, this show sucks" and yeah, it did! Listen to the poo poo we made 5 years later when we figured our game out.

The thing that put me off listening was how you guys missed every icky bit of Cthulhutech and called it "surprisingly playable"

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 18, 2018