Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I say this as a person who basically rewrote AD&D 2E and received a lot of upset correspondence about how "this isn't how we played the game???": the key to a good game is having a clear goal. Before any of your fluff and mechanics there needs to be some kind of end result established even if it's as simple as "kill monsters and take their poo poo." And everything has to be in service of that goal or else it's not a game, it's just a collection of rules.

My main frustration is when it's not made clear what a game expects you to accomplish and D&D has bounced around wildly in this field. I used to be a vociferous hater of 4E but came around to it once I started designing board games because holy poo poo, it's actually a strong system for tactical combat without rulers. Problem is Wizards had trouble communicating that this was their purest system for fighting monsters and looting dungeons while simultaneously courting the group that went over to Pathfinder who wanted to write character sheets miles long.

Communication. It's key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Another is that tabletop has pretty specific costs and advantages compared to video games -- what about a farm simulator game demands a GM, or the kind of improvisational freedom that TRPGs offer, or 4-6 players who are always on board to play at a scheduled time, that can't be satisfied by Harvest Moon?

Farming is an odd pick given it's a pretty popular theme for tabletop games like Agricola.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Farming is an odd pick given it's a pretty popular theme for tabletop games like Agricola.

They're not RPGs, though, yeah?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pendragon has the PC knights own land estates but it's NPC peasant rabble who do the whole farming job

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Isn't Ryuutama pretty light on combat?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sort of. The primary mechanics are devoted to journeying, but there's a campaign mode that focuses around combat.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Moriatti posted:

It can be. Or it could not be. There's a combat system in it but you can easily run games with little to no combat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's enough rules you can do a satisfactory combat in Ryuutama. You don't have to, but you can.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
dnd 5e is very much like the governments during the three kingdoms wars in china, in that its very boring and i dont want to read about it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

grassy gnoll posted:

I mean, the first one was pretty good until Robespierre had his psychotic break.

Would that make Louis-Napoleon AD&D or Hackmaster?

much like the french first republic, early editions of d&d benefit from comparison to the horrors that followed, despite being fatally flawed from the beginning

e: napoleon III is pathfinder

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

funmanguy posted:

dnd 5e is very much like the governments during the three kingdoms wars in china, in that its very boring and i dont want to read about it.

How dare you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Moriatti posted:

In Ryuutama meeting hostile creatures is as common as any other dangerous turns in your journey. So you'll have to expect it to happen sooner or later the same way you expect a sudden nasty turn in the weather. Certain classes are rewarded more for fighting monsters, so you can expect to have more fights if someone picks, say, a Hunter over a Healer. The game actually has a fairly in-depth list of rules for monster item drops and how to sell their various parts.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
So what exactly were the best parts of 4e with classes and monster math specifically, I am really confused about the essentials and the large number of classes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Democratic Party is a lot like D&D 5e: a focus-grouped mess of non-committal, mealy-mouthed initiatives that actively backed away from improving itself, and only gets attention because the alternatives are perceived to be worse.

Banana Man posted:

So what exactly were the best parts of 4e with classes and monster math specifically, I am really confused about the essentials and the large number of classes.

PHB 1 and PHB 2 contain the best classes.
Monster Manual 3 and Monster Vault contain the most improved monster math
The Rules Compendium contains the correct skill check DCs
The Dark Sun Campaign Setting contains the Inherent Bonus rules, which are cool and good and should be used regularly
The Slaying Stone is the best of the low-level adventure modules to serve as an intro to the game

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

much like the french first republic, early editions of d&d benefit from comparison to the horrors that followed, despite being fatally flawed from the beginning

e: napoleon III is pathfinder

Look, he was magnificently incompetent, obsessed with his progenitors to an unhealthy degree, and a historical dead-end, but let's not speak ill of the dead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Banana Man posted:

4E's monster math didn't get formally good until the Monster Manual 3, but the Monster Vault is an Essentials trade dress redo of the first Monster Manual with all the classic staples like orcs, goblins, dragons, various sorts of undead, etc, and so if you want all the traditional D&D monsters but with the actual good statblocks you will want the Monster Vault, and then the MM3 for more variety. The Monster Manual 2 can be used but requires some finagling to make sure things like defenses and damage are where you want them, but the formula for designing a monster is generally simple enough that it's merely a minor pain in the rear end rather than a major one.

As far as classes go, to be honest the classes straight out of the very first PHB contain some of the better stuff right out of the gate. The PHB 2 brings in a lot of the classes that they didn't put in the first one like the Barbarian and the Sorcerer along with new ones like the Avenger and generally between those two books and the assorted Martial/Arcane/Divine Power supplements you have more cool poo poo than most people will ever actually use in a lifetime. The PHB3 is where things kind of start to run out of steam. The Monk is fun but the power point using psionic classes suffer from some wonky design, and the Runepriest and Seeker feel half-baked and just sorta there.

The redone core classes in the Essentials line were divisive because they were very much a return to the form of "fighters get to hit things, and then maybe hit things slightly harder X times a day, but spellcasters get all these cool toys over there." Some people swear by them but honestly, I tried my hardest to play through several mini-campaigns using an Essential-ized Assassin and it was the dullest, least enjoyable 4E I've ever played in my life, 90% of which was spent making basic attack after basic attack. That Assassin, by the way, is from Heroes of Shadow which is hot fuckin garbage. Highlights of that book include Literally The Worst 4E Class Ever Printed (the Binder, a Warlock variant whose main ability is to make you wish you were just playing a regular Warlock), the absolute lamest way anyone could have made a 4E Vampire class, a lovely ghost/shade race option that I'm not sure anyone ever took because it's the only 4E class with arbitrary penalties out of nowhere, and a Blackguard class so boring I can't even remember what its deal was. Heroes of the Feywild, by contrast, isn't half bad. It presents some class options which are kinda sorta halfway between regular 4E classes and Essentials stuff, and most of them aren't my cup of tea but at least they aren't utterly, egregiously bad and half-assed like Heroes of Shadow was.

Oh wait, there was Heroes of the Elemental Planes to, wasn't there? Uh, poo poo. Oh right, it had a couple new Monk subtypes with elemental kung fu and...another wizard variant. I mean of course it had another wizard variant. You could probably just skip that one tbh.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

4E's monster math didn't get formally good until the Monster Manual 3, but the Monster Vault is an Essentials trade dress redo of the first Monster Manual with all the classic staples like orcs, goblins, dragons, various sorts of undead, etc, and so if you want all the traditional D&D monsters but with the actual good statblocks you will want the Monster Vault, and then the MM3 for more variety.

The Dark Sun Creature Catalog uses the updated monster math, too. Those three books should have you pretty well set for most 4e games you'll ever play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Something else cool about 4e in a more general sense is how well it evokes theme via mechanics. You don't just say "kobolds are sneaky," or expect GMs to know how to make kobolds sneaky - kobolds in 4e straight up have an ability that allows them to slip away and be sneaky. They're sneaky by default, just by using a kobold's few abilities you're automatically going to make them be sneaky assholes, and that's super cool. This extends to a lot of stuff, like Dwarves being extra durable due to getting to take their second wind as a minor action. It's pretty smart.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Countblanc posted:

Something else cool about 4e in a more general sense is how well it evokes theme via mechanics. You don't just say "kobolds are sneaky," or expect GMs to know how to make kobolds sneaky - kobolds in 4e straight up have an ability that allows them to slip away and be sneaky. They're sneaky by default, just by using a kobold's few abilities you're automatically going to make them be sneaky assholes, and that's super cool. This extends to a lot of stuff, like Dwarves being extra durable due to getting to take their second wind as a minor action. It's pretty smart.

yeah but there's no mechanical difference between wizards and rangers therefore

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Most fun I had with the Essentials classes was with the Hexblade, an Elricy warlock that summons a magic sword and has some neat summons.

Sadly, the online character builder didn't handle some of its properties very well, and the Essentials era coincided with them tapering off and dropping support for the builder entirely. (In short, your pact blade mirrors the properties of your implement, and the builder wasn't designed to have equipment that exists as the effect of a power and copies the properties of another piece of equipment.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I find a problem with less fantastical RPGs is that they are much more static, especially if they’re combat focussed, because magic provides a neat excuse to introduce new mechanics as players level.

As in, in DnD you have to worry about fireballs, or Come And Get It or whatever, from level 5 up and that changes the game and keeps it fresh. In a lot of modern themed games, though, you shoot at each other at level 1 and you shoot at each other at level 20, you just add more to the dice.

I can’t help but think that Starfinger’s weird level based weapon gating is an attempt to hammer this in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

I find a problem with less fantastical RPGs is that they are much more static, especially if they’re combat focussed, because magic provides a neat excuse to introduce new mechanics as players level.

As in, in DnD you have to worry about fireballs, or Come And Get It or whatever, from level 5 up and that changes the game and keeps it fresh. In a lot of modern themed games, though, you shoot at each other at level 1 and you shoot at each other at level 20, you just add more to the dice.

I can’t help but think that Starfinger’s weird level based weapon gating is an attempt to hammer this in.

The problem with most versions of D&D and its ilk is not only that "new mechanics = spells", but then also that some classes don't get spells.

You mentioned Come And Get It, and that's good, because Come And Get It is not magic, but the Fighter also doesn't need magic in order to able to be that "fantastical".

Now in a game like, say, Call of Cthulhu or Twilight 2000, where you're all human comrades that are completely terrestrial and pedestrian, you're correct that all you really have to look out for is raising your Shoot Gun percentage from 60% to 80% if you ever manage to live that long, but that's okay too, because denying everyone of "fantastic abilities" keeps everyone on the same playing field.

The challenges can still be varied, and they can still be challenging, but at least you don't have the uneven keel of a quarter to a half of the party wielding literal deus ex machina powers while the rest can't.

Starfinder's level-gated equipment was put in because the the designers at some point realized that the narratives that would spring from a sci-fi game might produce outcomes where the players could become fabulously wealthy beyond the prescripted wealth-by-level rules, so they had to say that you couldn't wield a level 20 Gun even if you could afford it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hyphz posted:

I have a lot of thoughts on Mr. Misfit's post, but here's a specific one: my pet theory is that in a "traditional," non-narrative RPG, games where you just have Ability Scores and Skills are almost always pretty dull. People gravitate to games with some element of the fantastical to add an extra dimension to allow for more unique PCs. Whether that's magic, cybernetics, or all kinds of science-fictional gear.

Feat systems are one way of doing this, but there are a few design problems you quickly run into, especially if you hope to write and sell a lot of supplements.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Now in a game like, say, Call of Cthulhu or Twilight 2000, where you're all human comrades that are completely terrestrial and pedestrian, you're correct that all you really have to look out for is raising your Shoot Gun percentage from 60% to 80% if you ever manage to live that long, but that's okay too, because denying everyone of "fantastic abilities" keeps everyone on the same playing field.
Part of PbtA's genius is that every character has traits that make their character mechanically distinct; there are even PbtA games set in the real world, where you're playing characters with the same training and equipment, but every playbook plays differently. Traditional RPGs that can do that are few and far between.

PATROL is a great example of a more traditional game that has distinct character classes in a game where the PCs are as similar in their gear, training, etc. as in RECON or Twilight 2000. (Even so, it has a WWI expansion that is obviously PbtA inspired.)

quote:

The problem with most versions of D&D and its ilk is not only that "new mechanics = spells", but then also that some classes don't get spells.
Not only that, but in a design space where "the rules are the physics of the world," half the rules are spells. So like, if a monster has a cool ability, or a fighter prestige class in 3e gets a cool ability, its rules probably devolve from how the spells work.

quote:

Starfinder's level-gated equipment was put in because the the designers at some point realized that the narratives that would spring from a sci-fi game might produce outcomes where the players could become fabulously wealthy beyond the prescripted wealth-by-level rules, so they had to say that you couldn't wield a level 20 Gun even if you could afford it.
It's a little amusing that Pathfinder, the not-an-MMO-for-twitch-game-babies-unlike-4e game, ends up taking its design cues from MMOs because they don't know what they're doing.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is so frustrating because it seems like it could be solved by some kind of narrative consequences if they ever decided to have narrative rules outside of what skill does what. It's a space opera game, there's always a bigger fish out there - you do some run that gets you twenty tons of sixteen-barrel repeating laser rifles or some other ungodly armory, suddenly half the thugs in the galaxy have a vested interest in robbing you and yours. "Not a high enough level to find the trigger" is such a dumb rule idea - even understanding the apparent intent! - that I really don't quite know how to respond to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

It shows how criminally unimaginative and wedded to their system they are that they saw "The fighter can get infinite fireballs" as a problem rather than an opportunity, and "solved" it in the dumbest way possible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

It shows how criminally unimaginative and wedded to their system they are
We are talking about a game that was directly derived from a game that had the unspoken design principle "you don't have to change what you're doing and can keep playing 3.x forever", here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

food court bailiff posted:

This is so frustrating because it seems like it could be solved by some kind of narrative consequences if they ever decided to have narrative rules outside of what skill does what. It's a space opera game, there's always a bigger fish out there - you do some run that gets you twenty tons of sixteen-barrel repeating laser rifles or some other ungodly armory, suddenly half the thugs in the galaxy have a vested interest in robbing you and yours. "Not a high enough level to find the trigger" is such a dumb rule idea - even understanding the apparent intent! - that I really don't quite know how to respond to it.
"Not a high enough level to take the heat" is one decent way to do it, yeah. If you're level 5 and packing above your skill then you become a target, since everyone knows you're out of your league. Level 10 with the same equipment, nobody messes with you because you're armed and dangerous, but if you pick up a planet killer somewhere then whup, that's another target on your back.

Give the fighter equivalent a scaling badass bonus for guns and stuff so nobody thinks twice if she's packing a tricked out laser and power armour, but the wizard needs comparatively more street cred before he can get away with it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mr.Misfit posted:

I had a fascinating discussion today about role-playing and dnd that I wanted to recap here because it was inspired by a number of interesting points.
Basic point #1: Podcasts and twitch/YouTube replays of actual gaming combined with shows like Stranger Things etc. inspire people to seek out role-playing because "that looks cool"
Basic point #2: Role-playing can be divided in a wide variety of style, rules and genres, but mostly focuses on fantastical journey/narrative-games or mathematically heavy mechanical play
Basic point #3: DnD, as coming from war gaming origin, might not even simulate role-play at all, but rather is an amalgamated/varied war gaming experience that accidentally also allows for role-playing parts of it.
Basic point #4: The most successful genre of movies/books/narratives of any kind aren´t fantasy/sci-fi/whatever you think. It´s romance & general human drama.
Basic point #5: At any moment there are more successful real life narrative games/shows without any fantastic imagery on screen/available as books/comics than any role-playing game offers.

Based on those three points the discussion actually went around quite a bit, but it focused on a very interesting thought. With the rise of podcast and video replays, we see an ever greater number of people joining the ranks of role-players, as well as an extension of actual genres. However, how do we discern such tastes if we only ever offer the fantastical? The success of trash TV about making moonshine in Mississippi and talent shows, casting in general, cooking shows, soccer and related sports etc, there´s also been a rise of simulators and games for their particular ilk. For heaven´s sake, Cooking Mama is an enormous franchise with hundreds of millions of dollars worth. But I´ve yet to see a role-playing game try to snatch up the growing group of farmers yearning for a Seed Farmer RPG, or a Soccer Team RPG (imagine something like this where the final boss battle of an evening is the actual game. Instead of combat feats, you have ball manoeuvres etc. You can do this for just about every sport really) or something similar. Are we just caught up in our bottle of escapist fantasy or is this just a sector or genre that´s yet to grow out of the numerous indies currently flooding the pdf and general rpg market?

Re: point 4, Television and books are inherently oriented towards an abnegation aesthetic because it’s a passive aesthetic. RPGs are a participatory medium and lend themselves to more active aesthetics like discovery and tactical challenge. It’s much more relevant to draw examples from a similarly active medium like video games. (Which you also did.)

E: Another question I ask myself when considering ttrpg design is “does this benefit from roleplaying and/or not having an explicit goal?”, and if not it should probably be a board game instead.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 25, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I enjoy how it took until TYOOL 2018 for a major gaming news website to run an article saying 'Hey guys, there's stuff out there that's not D&D and it's actually quite good, so maybe you should think about playing them too? Just a thought?'

Reference: https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/18/16905694/independent-rpg-world-wide-wrestling-fiasco-dread-ten-candles

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol Polygon

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Of course someone in the comments is pimping OSR games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Finally what indie tabletop needs for validation. The people who are known to have the worst taste in indie videogames

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

You mentioned Come And Get It, and that's good, because Come And Get It is not magic, but the Fighter also doesn't need magic in order to able to be that "fantastical".

The challenges can still be varied, and they can still be challenging, but at least you don't have the uneven keel of a quarter to a half of the party wielding literal deus ex machina powers while the rest can't.

Yea, I specifically mentioned Come And Get It precisely because it was available to a fighter class. Just because a game is fantastical doesn’t mean that one dude has to be the one with ALL the fantastical stuff. The unevenness problem isn’t magic, it’s having one class with “magic” as their thing.

But I just haven’t seen any situation where a level 20 gunfight has notably different tactics to a level 1 gunfight. Yes, you can change up the terrain and so on, but that doesn’t feel like a natural tie to level or a thing the players have earned. I guess you could level up into Revolver Ocelot or something but that’s at least mildly fantastical.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Yea, I specifically mentioned Come And Get It precisely because it was available to a fighter class. Just because a game is fantastical doesn’t mean that one dude has to be the one with ALL the fantastical stuff. The unevenness problem isn’t magic, it’s having one class with “magic” as their thing.

But I just haven’t seen any situation where a level 20 gunfight has notably different tactics to a level 1 gunfight. Yes, you can change up the terrain and so on, but that doesn’t feel like a natural tie to level or a thing the players have earned. I guess you could level up into Revolver Ocelot or something but that’s at least mildly fantastical.

most games are going to have some kind of fantastical element to them or else they are going to focus on things that aren't just shooting people

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

hyphz posted:

It's not that big a deal and you're already on the right track: the "fantastical" abilities just become "tactical" ones.

I get what you're on about. A lot of traditional games have a lot of combat rules, but in the end it boils down to just attacking and dealing damage. Lots and lots of tables of modifiers, but anything like tactical movement and cover ends up being this loosely-defined thing that happens on the margins, and therefore, most groups end up not doing it at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What if in our imaginary gunfight RPG everyone starts moderately competent with firearms and the thing they gain as level up bonuses are techniques that require strict teamwork - the reason you unlock them as you're leveling up is that you're getting to know your party members better and trust them more in combat. Even if you could, it's probably not a good idea to charge your own teammate and try to use them as a stepping stone to jump over a piece of cover unless you're absolutely sure that they're on the same wavelength and will be ready to give you a foothold.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mr.Misfit posted:

I had a fascinating discussion today about role-playing and dnd that I wanted to recap here because it was inspired by a number of interesting points.
Basic point #1: Podcasts and twitch/YouTube replays of actual gaming combined with shows like Stranger Things etc. inspire people to seek out role-playing because "that looks cool"
Basic point #2: Role-playing can be divided in a wide variety of style, rules and genres, but mostly focuses on fantastical journey/narrative-games or mathematically heavy mechanical play
Basic point #3: DnD, as coming from war gaming origin, might not even simulate role-play at all, but rather is an amalgamated/varied war gaming experience that accidentally also allows for role-playing parts of it.
Basic point #4: The most successful genre of movies/books/narratives of any kind aren´t fantasy/sci-fi/whatever you think. It´s romance & general human drama.
Basic point #5: At any moment there are more successful real life narrative games/shows without any fantastic imagery on screen/available as books/comics than any role-playing game offers.

Based on those three points the discussion actually went around quite a bit, but it focused on a very interesting thought. With the rise of podcast and video replays, we see an ever greater number of people joining the ranks of role-players, as well as an extension of actual genres. However, how do we discern such tastes if we only ever offer the fantastical? The success of trash TV about making moonshine in Mississippi and talent shows, casting in general, cooking shows, soccer and related sports etc, there´s also been a rise of simulators and games for their particular ilk. For heaven´s sake, Cooking Mama is an enormous franchise with hundreds of millions of dollars worth. But I´ve yet to see a role-playing game try to snatch up the growing group of farmers yearning for a Seed Farmer RPG, or a Soccer Team RPG (imagine something like this where the final boss battle of an evening is the actual game. Instead of combat feats, you have ball manoeuvres etc. You can do this for just about every sport really) or something similar. Are we just caught up in our bottle of escapist fantasy or is this just a sector or genre that´s yet to grow out of the numerous indies currently flooding the pdf and general rpg market?

Re #4: Are you sure about that? In any given year for a long time now, the most popular films are genre movies.

Re #5: The big groups of potential roleplayers who aren't being captured by the medium are people doing freeform, online roleplay, and people playing RPG video games.

First, I'm not convinced that the way forward for RPGs is to recruit more people by imitating whatever is popular in whatever other given medium. It's better to focus on what's being done in things that are at least games in the first place. Not everything adapts well to a tabletop game--you could certainly make a game about The Amazing Race or American Ninja Warrior, but what about Dr. Phil, The Daily Show, and The Bachelor?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Re #4: Are you sure about that? In any given year for a long time now, the most popular films are genre movies.

Re #5: The big groups of potential roleplayers who aren't being captured by the medium are people doing freeform, online roleplay, and people playing RPG video games.

First, I'm not convinced that the way forward for RPGs is to recruit more people by imitating whatever is popular in whatever other given medium. It's better to focus on what's being done in things that are at least games in the first place. Not everything adapts well to a tabletop game--you could certainly make a game about The Amazing Race or American Ninja Warrior, but what about Dr. Phil, The Daily Show, and The Bachelor?

I'd play a Dr. Phil tabletop game

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

maybe not a game about the shows themselves, but a game about making tv shows, with different goals and objectives depending on the genre of show in question, now that could work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Serf posted:

maybe not a game about the shows themselves, but a game about making tv shows, with different goals and objectives depending on the genre of show in question, now that could work

There’s Soap, and Pantheon?