Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

Well, how often do you normally have a conversation which will at the end have a "positive or negative outcome", that you're invested in? It's when you're trying to persuade someone to do something, or sell something to them, or give you a job, or go on a date, and so on.. and all of those interactions are characterized by social behaviors which don't apply to regular conversations with no such stakes.
I consider any conversation of mine a rousing success where the other party doesn't file a restraining order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Having it be like zootopia with actual animal sizes is super tempting in a lot of ways... but then it's weird having a tactical combat with all those sizes in the same fight: a praying mantis, a spider, and twin salamanders on the small end, and a grizzly bear, a cow/bull, and a crane on the large end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, it would have been Forgotten Realms poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

There’s also nothing about forgotten realms that prevents you from making good stories that take place there.
Could have fooled me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, I'll say this much, Mask of the Betrayer immediately got a thousand times more interesting and engaging by virtue of handling the more metaphysical aspects of the setting instead of casting you as another shitfarmer who travels the Sword Coast.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp lord have mercy I guess I'm getting into 5e

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd be hard pressed rating many of these things on a 1-10 scale in a consistent manner, to be honest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After season 1 I'd have thought that ship had sailed. Between American Gods and Hannibal, he definitely has a tendency to change things around for what feels like just the sake of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Two weeks ago we had to cancel a D&D session because one guy caught the flu, I barely pulled through another session last week and was properly laid out the very next day, and now I'm better but my girlfriend's caught something and we had to cancel this Saturday's 13th Age game and it's starting to piss me off!

We all caught different things as well. Of course now I'm liable to catch what she's got so there's something to look forward to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bedlamdan posted:

It's far harder to think of how a person might inadvertently reinforce negative stereotypes for those two.
I wiggle my teenage boobs at the guard and offer him a blowjob if he lets us into the city without a fuss.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also, regarding Bedlamdan's comment, I

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

My campaign that I envisioned as some kind of horror themed war against the undead is kind of turning into a road trip across D&D land. The party's hung out with orcs, dwarves and elves so far, and now they're gonna go see the eladrin.

DMing is weird.
My secret dream campaign is basically Asterix in D&D land, where the party travels to a different race each adventure and goes through all of the cliches. The one guy in our group who keeps compulsively changing characters gets to play the "friendly local" character each adventure. (It's me, I am that guy.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's time for another round oooooof D&D with neural networks!

I'm partial to Rain Golem.

Also, is "Giant, Dunebat" just an errant comma in "Giant Dunebat" or is it actually a giant made up of elemental dunebat* the same way there are storm and fire giants?

a brooch, cunningly fashioned from purest green

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Burglestar is one of those ancient eldritch cosmic horrors that warlocks are so fond of, except some player got hold of homebrew race stats for it and persuaded their DM to let them play one as a rogue.

e: it's got a little mask and black-and-white striped shirt and everything

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's those guys from the intro of Neverwinter Nights 2 that all immediately cast Enlarge Person on themselves.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, some questions I'd ask would be:

- is he a hermit by choice or by necessity? Could he be involved in something that makes it better for him to not live near anyone, either knowingly or unknowingly?
- was there a singular event that finally made him decide to pack it up and live far away from anyone? (Or if I felt particularly like being blunt I'd ask "what was the singular event...", because "no, just felt like it all his life" doesn't make for a great story hook :))
- does he get by completely on his own? Where does he get supplies, does he go to town once a month or a year, does someone come by occasionally; basically the question is "under the premise of being a hermit, any contacts or friends?"

Potential story hooks I'd be looking for are mainly "is there something from this character's past that could catch up with him" and "are there NPCs I could flesh out and have get into trouble".

e: alternatively, I'd want to find out if that character has any long-term goals, and make one the center of an adventure.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I asked my players worldbuilding questions for 13th Age, one of which was "which seemingly outrageous rumour about the Elves is actually true" and now I can't stop thinking about the backstory of elise the great's elf dildo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For next session, let's do some worldbuilding, I want you to come up with the name of the gang that's feuding with your own and their leader

*weeks pass*

listen, it's okay that the only name you can come up with is Bloodhound Gang, just be aware that their leader will be a serial arsonist

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

I just like the idea of repeatedly insisting on playing a Nazi ghost no matter what the setting.

"Thank you, great heroes! Grenda, the gentle giant. Greenbow, whose sharpness of wit is matched only be the sharpness of her blade. And of course, the intangible Herr Gotterdamerung, butcher of Oslo. Three cheers for all!"
Announce a Hellboy campaign and watch that player's face light up like the labyrinth architect's in that one Oglaf comic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna guess it also doesn't go well with players who like to plan everything out to the degree that I once had to say "okay, you've detailed every possible way this could go and every outcome, just make a roll to see which one happens."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love having players define not only scenes, but settings as well. For my last game we worked out it would take place in a kingdom where no one had been before, and I asked everyone to come up with one thing they'd heard about the place, and their reason to go there. Mostly those were one and the same but putting them all together was a lot of fun. These things, by the way, wouldn't necessarily become truth but would definitely always have some truth to them.

Right now we're running more of a series of discrete adventures, but I plan on asking broad setting questions inbetween and working them in somehow. I asked one player, whose character was one of the few humans to spend time in elven lands, "what rumour about the elves surprisingly turned out to be true?" Elves can now spy on people through mirroring surfaces. As a balance thing she threw in that they have to know the surface in question, and that it only works during a new moon, but mostly it's balanced cause no one plays an elf.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What we ended up with, by the way, was a city under martial law besieged by the undead while a wave of serious, guillotine-style revolution was rolling in just behind the PCs, all backed by a mystic secret involving the god of laws not being entirely what everyone thought. It was very cool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leraika posted:

How did the elves figure into it?
Different campaign buuuut since you're asking in that game the elves had kidnapped the prince of the neighboring realm, where the revolution was in full force, and the party had to race a revolutionary who was tasked with bringing the exiled noble to justice. None of the party was an elf there either so I made them completely callous assholes with no regard for human life, but in an innocent and playful way, as they drat well should be.

The prince turned out to have gone with the elves voluntarily so he wouldn't have to deal with his mom's evil plan to take back the kingdom using the undead. Then the party sold him to a dragon who collected princes. But that was only because centuries ago, that dragon had sired the seven royal bloodlines posing as a god of laws, and now he was going to unlock the princes' magic power to have them rule the seven kingdoms as immortal sorcerer-kings in his name.

This plan partly failed because while rescuing the prince, the party had gone into his dreamworld via the spirit realm and helped the chaotic side of his personality overcome the lawful one, eventually leading to the prince rebelling against dragon dad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mentioned the setting of Blades in the Dark to two of six players in my group and it was like serving someone their favourite treat entirely by accident. I may have something here. Does it accomodate groups of that size?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Serf posted:

two players is perfectly reasonable. i haven't run it for groups that small, but i read reports from people who do it all the time. at that size it will move along pretty fast, too.
Sorry, yeah, I put that badly and meant six, but good to know that two works out as well.

Made a suggestion to the group, am expecting the wailing and gnashing of teeth to start post haste.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well I'm not sure what's going on but my default NPC persona is "regular Joe baffled by the PCs prowess, mostly in bamboozling him" which makes it all the more of a surprise when I occasionally introduce one that has an agenda and doesn't roll over for the PCs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also what I do when I DM.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Getsuya posted:

The genres for the book hero spirits are pretty limited:
Fantasy, SF, Mystery, Grimoire, History, Encyclopedia, Hero Battle
Gonna combine Fantasy, Grimoire and Encyclopedia and end up with a D&D rulebook.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Actually, talking about that 4e game, I'm curious if I'm being unreasonable or if the players being unreasonable on this one aspect. Same player I was talking about, but he's complaining about the fact we're still Level 1. Now, we've only been in a couple of sessions, maybe four, and we've only been in two fights and a skill challenge. The reason being that they stayed in the city and kind of refused some plot threads I kind of thrown at them as I've already mentioned.

The thing is that we've had to miss a lot of weeks so it has been a while in real time and he's wondering why we're still Level 1. My response is mainly that we've barely played the game and it does take a while to level in a 30 level game. But am I being unreasonable? I gave them the XP that could be expected, but he always says why don't we just get more XP? And I usually just go "well were playing with XP and rewarding XP for in-game stuff as expected. It just sometimes takes a while to level." Because it really has been very few sessions and, because a 4e can take an entire session, we only had two fights.

No one else is really complaining about that and, to be honest, there 1 battle way from leveling ( which is to be expected since you should level after 4 fights and they did two fights and a skill challenge so there at 3) so it's like I'm not rewarding XP as it makes sense. To be honest, I really don't look forward to leveling them because they're all neophytes to the system and we did our session zero in person. We are now playing online because of scheduling conflicts so that's going to be a nightmare. I'm not holding them back but I'm just saying that's going to suck.
As someone who DMed 4E since shortly after it came out, both in long 1-30 campaigns and in short adventures of predetermined level range with a set end point, in no particular order:

- it plays much better if you don't have that notion in your head that you're eventually gonna hit level 30. To be perfectly honest, you probably won't anyway. In my game I only managed it because we started levelling after every session after Lv20, and we mostly did it for the sake of saying we made it to 30, and it kinda sucked.
- levelling strictly by XP rules works, but the game kind of assumes you also give out XP for quests and stuff. When I ran Gardmore Abbey strictly with XP and using only the guidelines provided, my group levelled roughly after every other session. Once they gained a level and additional XP to take them halfway to the next, so they gained another one right after the next session. It was a good pace. (But keep in mind we're talking about ~6-7 hour sessions here.)
- neither "XP for encounters" nor "XP for quests" work if your players just don't engage with the game and do stuff but that's really a different problem
- all that being said, four sessions on level 1 is kind of a long time, I'd throw them a bone and let them get to level 2 soon-ish. Once they feel like they gained something, they might start actively working towards getting more. The first fix is free, and all that. Think of level 1 as the tutorial section in a video game.
- you're supposed to level after ten fights, four or five is how many there are supposed to be between long rests. Again, quest XP are supposed to make up a certain proportion of that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One more tip if you use XP for 4E, or any system really: if you add up at the end of a session and they run a miniscule amount short of the next level, like half an encounter's worth or so - just let them have that level right then. Make up something they could reasonably get bonus XP for, or take it out of next session's XP if you must, but don't leave them hanging.

Or tell them to prepare for a levelup and announce that you're going to do it right after next session's first encounter. I've done that - the group had decided to save an obvious boss room for later, we ended up a tiny amount short, and I thought it would have felt silly if they could just start the next session saying "hey, we all got fresh Daily powers, let's do that boss after all." And they all agreed, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to parse the homebrew system we're using this weekend and every aspect of it fills me with equal parts dread and antipathy. It covers so very few things and it covers those things in such excruciating detail.

ten ability scores

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

I wish to know more.
I keep trying to summarize the rules but I always end up reproducing them in total, and the most concise description I can come up with is that it's exactly what you'd expect a D&D 3.5 clone written by a theoretical physicist to be like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

...this is either the best thing ever made or a beautiful airburst explosion.
It's the ultimate in "there is exactly one way to make a thing happen and it's magic" except there are also only like four or five things that can happen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

100% literally the way the most annoying player among my regulars plays any game and she has explicitly stated she considers it the default way.

Sometimes it results in unexpectedly cool stuff like intimidating some spirits (instead of futzing around with arcana or religion skills). Most of the time she yells at locks to open or there will be trouble and gets angry when that alerts the orcs in the next room.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta admit, having all the RPG forums filled with 95% D&D talk is one way to market effectively

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trip report from my bud's homebrew system:

"Okay, to calculate your AC, you just add up the basic value plus the average of your Agility and Intuiton plus your dodge skill plus your parry rank, which is a third of your weapon group skill. Oh but when you fight unarmed you only get the parry bonus against other unarmed attacks. That's all for melee defense too, scratch the parry rank against ranged attacks. And if you're caught unaware, skip the dodge skill as well. Now that's your basic AC; add your armor bonus to get your armored AC. If the attack roll is below basic AC, it's a miss, if it's above armored AC, you take full damage, and if it's between basic and armored AC you take damage but get to subtract your armor's damage reduction score. Any questions?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh poo poo I forgot to mention how there's also a skill for how well you can wear armor next to the dodge skill

and how magic armor conveys an additional armor bonus and damage reduction rating that is counted separately

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay to be completely fair the term "armor class" is me translating the term he actually uses to something immediately recognizable. I think he just called it defense score. I kinda checked out at "1/3 your weapon skill."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

to be fair if I'm interning at the RPG book printing place I had goddamn better get to play in the office game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, say, what I'm asking is if there was a magic system where mana-spent was randomized and you lose 2d8+3 mana for a spell or something.
I'm not sure this would work very well because you already decide whether you cast a spell, and you base it partly on how much mana you have left. If a spell costs 14 mana fixed you check whether you have 14 mana left, if it costs 2d8+3 you check whether you have 19 left, cause most of the time you want to definitely get that spell through. If it ends up costing less that's a nice bonus but you can probably model that effect differently.

My buddy's infamous homebrew has three tiers of ressources: life, stamina and reserves. Damage usually goes to stamina, once you run out it goes to life. Your own special attacks go to reserves and to stamina once you run out. And it does have a system where the worse you roll for your spellcasting skill, the more reserves damage you take.