Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Objectively The Worst map.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The topic of "super speed" came up in the TG Kickstarter thread, and I had a thought:

In the context of a turn-based game, and particularly one that's "mechanically complex" such as d20-era D&D, could you not abstract the concept of "haste", at least in terms of attacks, by applying it as a percentage bonus to damage?

Instead of trying to represent haste as literally more actions, "translate and abstract" 50% more attacks into 50% more damage. Of course, I understand that loving with percentages could be just as, if not more fiddly than more actions, but I wanted to sanity-check if the basic concept was sound.

There are a few things this runs into. The thread already pointed out the cognitive dissonance between faster = more damage, but it also runs into what I call 'the X-COM Problem'.

The X-COM Problem is the following:

You have two weapons.
-One deals a little more damage, but is single shot only.
-One deals standard damage, but has auto-fire.

In almost every situation, the weapon with auto-fire will be stronger because more attacks = more chances to do damage.
The single shot weapon which deals a little more damage is all-or-nothing - you either hit and get all the damage, or you don't and get none of it.
The auto-fire weapon, meanwhile, gets many different damage states. You can hit with all of the attacks and deal even more damage than the single shot, hit with some of the attacks and still deal some damage, or hit with none and deal zero damage.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Action economy is the worst of it but multiplication in any form is dangerous in RPGs.

Proof: Any RPG from the 1980s, including this - http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/cyborg-gygax-1987/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

LuiCypher posted:

The X-COM Problem is the following:

You have two weapons.
-One deals a little more damage, but is single shot only.
-One deals standard damage, but has auto-fire.

I thought that the X-COM Problem is that both choices are invalidated by bringing a blaster bomb.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I knew a guy once who was a Champions fan, and he'd always seek to play super-strong speedsters, since that was a way to maximize actions (by boosting Speed) and damage (by boosting Strength). Then he'd do this in other systems uncritically, because he presumed that was the One True Build and would be heartbroken when games like Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition didn't support that kind of malarkey.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 13, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Super speed multiplies your post-soak damage, while super strength multiplies your pre-soak damage. Easy.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

slap me and kiss me posted:

I thought that the X-COM Problem is that both choices are invalidated by bringing a blaster bomb.

drat you, wizards! :argh:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Alternatively, you could do it WH40K RPG-style. There's a threshold you have to beat to hit multiple times as part of any attack (in game terms, degrees of success), haste just lowers the threshold to make it more likely that you will hit more than once.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Haste allows anyone to take a second action at the bottom of the initiative order so long as they complete their first turn in less than 60 seconds of real-life time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Haste allows anyone to take a second action at the bottom of the initiative order so long as they complete their first turn in less than 60 seconds of real-life time.
And if they don't also finish the Hasted action in under 60 seconds it eats their normal turn.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The hastes person no longer has a turn and takes their actions during other people's turns. To take an action they must describe and roll their action before the other player describes and rolls their action while the non-hasted players talk rreeaall ssslllooowww.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasted person can act on every enemy turn, but can’t repeat any words when describing their actions. If they repeat a word, the effect ends for the rest of the encounter.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Subjunctive posted:

Hasted person can act on every enemy turn, but can’t repeat any words when describing their actions. If they repeat a word, the effect ends for the rest of the encounter.

Splicer posted:

The hastes person no longer has a turn and takes their actions during other people's turns. To take an action they must describe and roll their action before the other player describes and rolls their action while the non-hasted players talk rreeaall ssslllooowww.

Yawgmoth posted:

And if they don't also finish the Hasted action in under 60 seconds it eats their normal turn.

Yes to all of these!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hasted person can act whenever they like, but the effect persists only while they run laps around the room.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

potatocubed posted:

Hasted person can act whenever they like, but the effect persists only while they run laps around the room.

How'd you get ahold of my latest version of Deadlifts and Dragons?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

How'd you get ahold of my latest version of Deadlifts and Dragons?

I lifted it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

potatocubed posted:

I lifted it.

Jerk.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/SICKOFWOLVES/status/973272746112069634

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Thought: is it actually okay to roleplay as a person of a different race or ethnicity?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bedlamdan posted:

Thought: is it actually okay to roleplay as a person of a different race or ethnicity?

Sure as long as you're not dumb about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bedlamdan posted:

Or gender, or age?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Or gender, or age?

It's far harder to think of how a person might inadvertently reinforce negative stereotypes for those two.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you say so!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

i sure hope so because there's a lot of fantasy settings without a not-Mexico (or at least a not lovely not-Mexico) and it'd suck if i couldn't play in those settings

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Bedlamdan posted:

If not, how is the GM supposed to do their thing?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Bedlamdan posted:

It is not okay to roleplay

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Brother Entropy posted:

i sure hope so because there's a lot of fantasy settings without a not-Mexico (or at least a not lovely not-Mexico) and it'd suck if i couldn't play in those settings

Yeah, I almost never play Native American characters because most of my gaming to date has been in Urban Fantasy or Superheroes and the...cultural inertia of how they're portrayed in those genres is...it's the reason why a friend who's Roma never plays her own race either.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up, for The Next Project, delving more deeply into skill use and "skill challenges."

This topic was requested by forums-goon and TNP Discord regular Generic Octopus, so be cool like him, and suggest stuff you would like me to write about, for this system.

Today's post essentially expands on a previous post that was very well-received, so check that out, too.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
RIP Stephen Hawking ;o;7

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

RIP Stephen Hawking ;o;7

Well poo poo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/973832169293574144

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bedlamdan posted:

It's far harder to think of how a person might inadvertently reinforce negative stereotypes for those two.
I wiggle my teenage boobs at the guard and offer him a blowjob if he lets us into the city without a fuss.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also, regarding Bedlamdan's comment, I

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

A lot of settings have Japan but, well...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wiggle my teenage boobs at the guard and offer him a blowjob if he lets us into the city without a fuss.

I remember that doujin.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Where's the chart for people who call it coriander, like God intended?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

thefakenews posted:

Where's the chart for people who call it coriander, like God intended?

In hell, where god intended you to live

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

But they call it cilantro in the United States?...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The leaves and stems are cilantro, the seeds are coriander. It’s really quite simple.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Reminder that the british call their fries "chips" while they dipping them in mayo, and call their chips "crisps" while eating ketchup-prawn flavored ones

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nuns with Guns posted:

thefakenews posted:

But they call it cilantro in the United States?...

So this is the bad place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Reminder that the british call their fries "chips" while they dipping them in mayo, and call their chips "crisps" while eating ketchup-prawn flavored ones

As if the Savile, that guy from Lostprophets and their ilk weren't enough.