Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm still boggled by what anyone would get out of being a preschool teacher but for 20 something manchildren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

And the game-as-conversation metaphor seems to work only as long as it’s the “we all know you’re going to win guys, just make it make sense” model. As long as there’s the possibility of that conversation ending with “and then you fail and roll badly and die or take trauma and it takes everything you’ve got to heal up” then it stops being a conversation and becomes an argument or persuasion. And that makes social manipulation fair game because that’s what you do in an argument.

It's just a little bit :psyduck: that you think a conversation about a game that includes a less than optimal outcome must by it's nature devolve into a battle of wills and social skullduggery.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I will fully admit to walking between raindrops if this is a problem a lot of people have, but at the same time you probably shouldn't be playing games with a shared social contract with people who try and weaponize that contract at all?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

Well, how often do you normally have a conversation which will at the end have a "positive or negative outcome", that you're invested in? It's when you're trying to persuade someone to do something, or sell something to them, or give you a job, or go on a date, and so on.. and all of those interactions are characterized by social behaviors which don't apply to regular conversations with no such stakes.

Except you're not doing that. You're playing a game where a character is trying to do that poo poo. If you're playing the character, you should be invested in having interesting things happen to your character. A character who always wins is rarely anything but loving boring. Are your players literally incapable of portraying characters except by some insane person's idea of what method acting is?

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 8, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

Right. Now wind back to context. Are these things which would happen in the normal way if this was just a conversation? If not, is it surprising that the RPG conversation isn't a normal conversation and ends up having manipulation in it?

Yes, also what the gently caress is wrong with you. Like. Fundamentally.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sorry for your bad friends who've never seen the vast and varied number of stories where a character is satisfactorially shot in the head. Have a drat movie night, watch The Magnificent Seven or Thelma and Louise. Jesus.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

What do I mean by manipulation? “I’ve taken a bunch of Harm and the GM is spawning encounters as long as we’re interested. Quick! Everybody get bored!”

Man, it's a good thing I don't play games with your players, I have a pretty bad straw allergy.

Like. Imagine an actual human being saying or thinking that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

"Honestly" means based on the truth, but if there is no map there is no truth.

What in the actual factual gently caress, my dude.

Also people have spent probably too many posts telling you how they make and determine challenges the player faced, you just seem to have some fundamental inability to understand these concepts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

Pretty much any sane person if you have a game with rules based on fun that thus creates a stupid feedback loop. Look at the choices:

1) Keep having fun, keep having encounters, Dave's character being seriously injured probably dies to those encounters and that's less fun for him
2) Stop having fun for a moment, the encounters end, we get the treasure, that's fun, the next adventure can be fun again and Dave's character is fine

No one thinks like this but you. It's just loving you. You are the problem in this equation and continue to be the problem.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

thefakenews posted:

I'm almost certain that the Blades book says that rumours say no one who has entered the Dimmer Sisters' house has left alive.

Rumors are fictional and you have to follow the fiction so nothing can enter the witch house and that's why the game is unplayable.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

I don't mind that. What I mind is the implication that when the players meet a goblin, they have their PCs throw down their swords and fight it hand to hand with one hand tied behind their back because "we want the game to be a challenge so we'll make it one, and anyway if we failed it might be interesting".

No one has said this, what the gently caress is wrong with you, you absolute dipshit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mearls also tweeted about it in a very dogwhistle bullshit way about how it was full of "Industry Unknowns".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Radio Free Kaiju is a game about Godzilla initiated disasters specifically.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirPhoebos posted:

Are there any RPGs that work well with just 3 people?

Fiasco with three people works like a dream.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Bad news, you've basically already went back there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Insomuch as bad posting can be called a joke, yes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

food court bailiff posted:

yo what the gently caress is this, is the WMH scene awful or something? I just bought a couple of battlegroups :(

Bedlamdan is what you would call a Bad Poster, so you're fine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Broke: Some dude killed your parents

Woke: Your parents just killed some dude, better get back home and find out what the hell just happened.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hotter take: 5E is worse than the other editions of D&D because it's the first edition to have a designer contribute to a harassment campaign.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
gently caress all the way off, Plutonis.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Plutonis apparently makes first sincere post in posting career, film at 11.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Moriatti posted:

Lol at people who get unironically mad at Plutonis.

Caring about poo poo is stupid, yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Or you could just gently caress off. I'd try that first, actually.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah this is just dumb and I checked out.

Why the gently caress is this your hill to die on, yet you know nothing about it?

And why have you never posted in the thread specifically about this topic.

And why are you saying these stupid things.

Most likely because this is some weirdass sockpuppet account for someone working on the new White Wolf games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's nice, Zak.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's nice, Zak.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I wouldn’t say that MHR is overcomplicated as much as it suffers from being under explained or insufficiently tutorialized, which leads to the same effect of being pretty unintuitive to grasp until rubber hits the road for a bit. I think the new version of Cortex is going to address that pretty well by virtue of not having the license and theming honestly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Or you don't want to give money to Magpie Games, which is another issue to consider.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Super excited for the tabletop version of EVO: Search for Eden.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Covok, buddy, I say this in all kindness but you should probably take a posting break, probably until you've had some sleep.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gamergate spun off of the various long running harassment campaigns in the Tradgame space so this is less a spinoff and more of the original recipe boiling over. It probably won't get much traction only because a lot of the other bad actors in that have a lot invested in appearing politically left.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, that's the necessary corollary, if no one else is going to pick up the ball and run it he'll just spike it directly into his own nuts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
gently caress you got mine is less syllables, friend.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bedlamdan posted:

I posted why I thought Consentacle was a bad idea outside of the one niche context everyone was trying to justify it with, and then made one lame joke about the stereotype that tradgames nerds probably wouldn't actually have boyfriends/girlfriends to actually make Consentacle only marginally less awkward.

I don't think it's on me if people take it too personally, or really whether me getting banned is on you guys. I probably will get banned, but, in the long run it does keep things running!
Oh yeah, y’know maybe we’re being too harsh on.....

Bedlamdan posted:

Okay, well, tricking your friend and her brother into incest by cardboard proxy, a good time, apparently,

gently caress off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Laughing out loud at the idea of Naomi Clark being just some nerd.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, Plutonis being unable to understand the concept of consent would explain their posts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Congrats on your excellent performance of “The Densest Man Alive.” A true master of the craft.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When it’s faster to list the people who claim the label of OSR and aren’t racist and/or sex pests the label might be a problem, actually.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Plutonis posted:

So I got this idea for an Isekai RPG system for two skill systems that are called "Insight" and "Professionalism" (that latter one kinda sucks I wanna find a better term) and they are supposed to be excluding ones as the first is how you know the "Meta" on the fantasy setting and the latter how good you were at your field of expertise on the real world and how good you are in one makes you bad at another so if you are a NEET shut-in you have an easier time figuring out how magic works and how monster HP and weaknesses are and even get to guesstimate the plot based on tropes and poo poo and the latter one has you being REAL GOOD at your former profession and being able to maybe bring this kind of unthinkable knowledge to a technologically inferior world but have a harder time figuring out what the hell the fantasy tropes are.

So Lasers and Feelings style or are there going to be more concrete layers to them?