Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My current GM wants to run Numenera when our 4e game wraps in a few months. Is there a Numenera/Cypher system thread I just didn't spot in the past couple pages? I'd like to know what issues and suck-traps to watch out for.

I mean, it's the same poo poo for every Monte Cook game. It's less imaginative then it might have initially looked, and you wanna be the wizard, which is the only class actually made to interact with the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Saguaro PI posted:

So when my (adult, in no way Channer) players saw the Dungeon Mom post they all became very excited about the idea of character sheet stickers. Unfortunately I run my game over Discord, otherwise I would be absolutely all over that poo poo. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can implement this stuff online?

Print out their character sheets, put stickers on them, scan them, reupload? I mean, that's goofy as hell but it...mostly works.

I guess it's more like...what about it are they hyped about? Just that it's kinda like a cute reward thing? If that's the case, Discord does let you give individual lines emojis; depending on how often your group uses that, it could stand out and be nice for you to give a smile from time to time. Again, kinda goofy, but whatever, human beings are goofy, and it's cute.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Why is "they opened the door to a dragon without spells" immediately assumed to be a combat encounter to the death that you can't run from with spells acting as the party's true measure of power? Isn't the whole point being that we are not talking about D&D?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

hyphz posted:

Oddly that wasn’t the problem. I should clarify we were playing SR 4e. In 4e, all extra successes on a shot carry over to damage, rather than the number being limited by the gun you’re using as in 5e. That makes combat really deadly, and initiative really important.

So the problem was that I was trying to do the whole fiction based ad-lib thing but I couldn’t because of this character. He obviously wanted to play a bad rear end gun fighter but I couldn’t let him, because any threat that could be defeated with a gun would either be over in 30 seconds or so, or beat his initiative and blast the whole party. Any that couldn’t he’d just be twiddling his thumbs. And anyway what’s action cyberpunk fiction without a cool gunfight or two? (Yes I know original style cyber wasn’t based on that.)

The same thing came up a bunch of times. I set up a meeting between two gangs in a warehouse that was intended to be a neat set piece but the players just blocked the entrances and sieged it. The players committed a bunch of crimes but any time Lone Star showed up they just surrendered instantly (because they had no problem with actual atrocities that could be justified as scum-on-scum but didn’t want to touch “innocent” cops), so I had to have them mysteriously never show up or campaign over.

So yea, fiction driven ad-lib rubs me the wrong way. Also I had a friend be bereaved and a bunch of work plans go haywire within the last week so I probably wasn’t in the best mood when I posted that stuff. Sorry.

Since nobody else has mentioned it: There actual problem is that your players were 100% playing as the A-Team, not as a group of cynical cyber criminals just trying to get one more score. And the A-Team loving rules, but you can't try to treat the A-Team the same way you would a group of cynical cyber criminals just trying to get one more score.

Also, since again I don't think anyone called it out as such, your problem specifically is that you confuse metagaming for roleplaying. That's it. That's the root of all of this. You have a serious issue with metagaming. You have overanalyzed games. The TVTropes comment was entirely accurate. You've lost the forest for the trees. A common issue with people who spent too long playing D&D, 3.x in particular.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Starfinder is what happens when Paizo actually has to try to make their own game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean yeah it sucks it's for 5e but that shouldn't be hard to transfer over to other games. I really feel weird and uncomfortable giving the makers poo poo just because they made a thing for 5e. Good ideas are good ideas and "what if the feywild was just the strange lovechild of that movie with David Bowie's leather-bound crotch and Lisa Frank?" is a good idea imo.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Bonus action also isn't a bonus as everyone gets it.

It's the best example of "natural language" in the game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I can't tell if this is all a great big joke or not, but chakram are a real life weapon that absolutely has existed for thousands of years. They do not return on impact, which is why you carry several, but were supposedly very good at severing bits off your enemy.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

inklesspen posted:

Can you go into more detail about this? I'm very interested in the notion of a RPG that works great for XCOM.

I'll cover the combat part of this!

Fragged Empire uses grid based combat with a focus on cover and shooting. You get two actions on your turn, which can be spend on a pretty wide variety of moves that do different things; Sighted Shot has you making one shot with a significant bonus to your range, whereas Spray Fire lets you move (at penalty) and add all your extra rate of fire die, for example.

All characters have two types of HP, defense, and offense. For defense, you have your...well, Defense, and that's how hard you are to hit - getting in cover can boost it big time - and your Armour (:laffo: aussie spelling) that protects you from crits. For your HP, you have your Endurance, and your actual stats. For offense, all weapons have Endurance damage and Crit damage. There's more to it then that, but those are the basics.

When you roll a crit, you deal your crit damage (minus Armour) to one of their stats directly. If a stat hits below 0, you start bleeding out, meaning you take another point of random stat damage every round. If a stat hits -5, you die. If your endurance hits 0, every attack against you is automatically a crit. This means you can specialize your duders' offense and defense in a LOT of different ways. Aiming for high Defenses and high Armour means prioritizing different stats and weapons; maybe you make a bog standard FPS shootamans with an assault rifle, good at most things, or a sniper with super high crit chance but who suffers against heavily armored enemies, or a screaming lunatic with two SMGs who focuses on burning endurance hard to kill bosses, or someone who does almost no endurance or crit damage, but instead Impairs enemies so your other teammates can just wipe them out, or maybe you don't do anything to enemies, because the weapons list includes drones and red shirts. You get the idea.

This also means your characters can be very fragile. Crits aren't particularly hard to get; you're gonna see a bunch every combat. The book straight up advises the GM not to overly worry about making "balanced" combats, and likewise tells players to 100% absolutely ambush, surprise attack, distract, and whatever else you have to do to get the upper hand.

So, in the end, you have grid and cover based ranged combat where movement and placement matters, highly customizable shootamans (because all characters have combat skills) with highly customizable gear loadouts that effectively set their "class," and a combat system that can get real hairy real fast. All it really lacks is a simplified turn initiative.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Andrast posted:

rtwp is always garbage

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
RTwP is terrible but people using KotOR as an example of where it works are insane. KotOR combat is slow and clunky as hell, it's just also hilariously easy, which makes fights go faster. But it's really, really slow when you aren't in a fight. Trying to actually GO anywhere in either of those games takes eons.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

It's well and truly amazing just how unimaginative that loving game is.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Starfinder's setting is our punishment as a species for allowing TV Tropes to continue this long.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

S.J. posted:

FRAGGED EMPIRE

e: please read that as me yelling the name

Gonna second this one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I, for one, am glad that our local moderator is dedicated to telling the harsh truths.

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/979144968890564608

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
That thread starts side-eye crazy, transitions into absolute crazy, transitions further into shithead crazy, apparently involves the holocaust in a bit that got deleted, and ends with me noting that it took until page 13 for someone to point out "hey you're kinda claiming that all non-Europeans are inhuman monsters" and that nobody gets banned because it's ENWorld.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Splicer posted:

I'd love for someone to do exactly this, but with somewhere other than Europe. I'd love to see the grogosphere's reactions to a game where white people aren't a thing* because Europe is and always has been where the orcs live. They got super pissed off at Reign.

See, I just want a game/setting based around the era of Pax Mongolica. It's even the same (vague) time frame D&D Fantasy Land happens at, so you can get plenty of slack-jawed foreign diplomats and traders and knights from the exotic West with their silver and slightly shittier everything else.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It's also worth mentioning that Ernst Cline - and his books - are racist as gently caress.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zurui posted:

Okay I gotta know more.

There's not much to tell, his constant masturbatory nerd fantasies just never quite seem to involve people of color or any of the things they make - except for two Japanese people who are samurai and comment on how honorable and distinguished the main character is. It's not just "a nerd who can't get over their nerd vision of the 80's," it's that this vision is literally just white dudes and the things they personally made, and nothing else.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, while system matters, that's more a question on your group then anything else. Mechanically, you could find a way to do that in probably any system; just talk to your GM. But...first make sure you can just talk to your GM. You get the idea.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

so like everyone who's been involved in making 40k for the last three decades

I mean, it's nerd culture at large.

Like, there's a reason there's the old stereotype of nerds loving trivia, and that's because trivia is just lists of things that happened divorced from context. Trivia not only doesn't involve critical thinking, it's the opposite of it.

TV Tropes came from somewhere.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jimbozig posted:

I may be misunderstanding Plutonis, but I think that he was put off by Cirno spouting a bunch of stereotypes and degrading stuff that would be awful to say about people with Autism, but saying that it's about "nerds". Except we're all gigantic loving nerds here and Cirno's not talking about us, so... ?

I could be way off base about the subtext here, but that's how it came across to me.

Then I will go into detail!

I'm not talking about autism. Human beings are already kinda poo poo at critical thinking and real poo poo at examining their own bullshit. The thing about "nerds" as like, a vague culture, is that it's essentially built entirely around consumption of media. Like it's big question is "what intellectual property do YOU go absolutely apeshit over?" But the way that love is expressed is toxic, because it's based purely around not questioning that thing you go apeshit over - based purely around intentionally not critically examining your bullshit. That nerd culture was for so long made of increasingly gatekeeper-y white dudes on the wealthier side of things only makes it worse, because that gatekeeper attitude and that societal privilege (especially once bullying gets involved) feeds into the problem. And where's a lovely culture without a lovely attempt at making a hierarchy? Good lord the hierarchies.

There's a lot of other poo poo we can get into like the treatment of transformative fandom, but hopefully this'll do.

The problem isn't autism, it's that nerd culture was largely mained by kinda ignorant rich white boys and men who turned their refusal to critically examine the things they love into obsessions. Or, I guess, capitalism. :collbert:

EDIT:

Covok posted:

Funny enough, I ran a one shot of that late yesterday for some people in a comic book Discord. They had a lot of fun even though I was just winging at the whole time and had no idea what I was doing it.

I'm surprised they weren't going mad that I greatly overestimated the ability of a thief and a bard to find a Hydra after they all rolled 6 or lower while going on a journey through a swamp.

Then again, the only experienced before was D&D 5e and they just really liked how freeform it was and how much they got to just define the story and have fun.

fool_of_sound posted:

“Freeform 5e” is basically the best possible praise for dungeon world

My vague theory of how D&D games accidentally turn into freeform games stays true.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 28, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

NachtSieger posted:

Yo Cirno do you have your giant caster supremacy essay saved?

It'd be somewhere in archives. It was posted on other forums, but long ago enough that they'd be gone by now. I never saved it to a file though, so yeah, archives'd probably be your best chance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess my only complaint about Eberron is that most of the religion stuff seems pretty unengaging. Then again, the most interesting stuff in D&D religion is generally either evil cults, or the Factions in Planescape if they count.

(My other complaint would be that the conditions of the contest required a more kitchen sink approach than was needed, but that's not hard to deal with.)

Eberron's religions, at least for me, are incredibly interesting...once you leave the "mainstream" religion of the Soverign Host behind (but even they're interesting to a degree too). Remember, the lack of afterlife is a known fact to...well, most everyone in the setting. And none of the religions are "provable" in a way that denies the others, and so unlike basically every other D&D setting where religion is little more then a cosmic macguffin, religion in Eberron is cultural.

In Forgotten Realms, your choice of deity is shorthand for character traits. In Eberron, it's a declaration of background.

Also it's important to state that the Blood of Vol is not about becoming and worshiping undead. It's almost the complete opposite. Blood of Vol states that if the gods do exist, they're all motherfuckers, and the only way we're going to get any justice in life or death is by overthrowing them with the divinity in all living things (and just haven't fully unlocked yet). But we can't do that alone as individuals - we can only do that if we band together, brothers and neighbors and communities. "Living things" is a key part here - by BoV's own doctrine, there's no room in heaven for the undead. Intelligent undead are seen not as heroes to emulate, but martyrs to respect. After all, they sacrificed their share in our inevitable collectivist uprising against reality - literally sold their soul, to never join their community in eternity, forcing themselves to stay in this shitheap of a world, so that they can keep the good fight going. As for non-intelligent undead? Well, what's so bad about them? What, you think your body is so awesome and special that it gets to have it's own special resting place where it can just rot away pointlessly? What a foolish luxury! No, comrade - even in death, as your soul rests, your body can continue to proudly serve and aid your brothers and sisters.

That this was orchestrated as something of a great lie around in immortal (but also, like, 14 year old) lich queen is almost incidental. Because in Eberron, belief matters, and so the Blood of Vol does in fact impart divine power that it's secretive leader has nothing to do with. As for Lady Vol herself...well, she does want to become as close to a living god of death Eberron can have, because she wants to find a way to reactivate her dragon-mark, and with her dragon blood, that's going to do things. Who knows - maybe she actually is working to make the heaven her cult believes in.

...How is this not filled to the brim with dramatic hooks to use?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The two things that makes the Host interesting for me at least is that a) there's no heaven, so nobody really follows a singular "god" of the Host, you literally just pray to whoever you think can help you out the most, and b) the actual religious doctrine is more just a very loose collection of cultural stories. That people disagree on! Not only is worship of individual gods of the Dark Six not unheard of, there are adherents who would absolutely have a religious debate with you about it. If I recall, it's even mentioned in one of the books that there's evidence of gods that sure do resemble the Dark Six appearing in Dhakaani poo poo, meaning the humans literally just stole the goblinoid gods and put them in their own religion as the "bad ones."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to make them an rear end in a top hat, usually. Somewhat because I do feel that most players act like jerks in-universe, with few exceptions, due to the fact that, well, they're real and the NPCs are not, if you follow me. So, I think the jerk response is kind of normal. I also find it helps make the players emotionally invested, even if it is only in desire to get revenge.

In the future, I should probably shy away from it because of the same thing I mentioned earlier: players are real, NPCs are not. First off, this has, very rarely, annoyed some players. Secondly, players will not hesitate to do above and beyond in their revenge, including genocide, because they're real and the NPCs are not.

How about all of you?

Over the top and gimmicky, and usually dumb as hell. They're not going to exist in-game for long, so if I want them to be in any way memorable I'll try to think up a dumb gimmick for them real fast and stick to it. Maybe they're extremely loud and boisterous and refer to themselves in the third person. Maybe they're exceptionally quiet and shy and have a bit of a thing for guns. At one point I couldn't think of anything, so I just made the dude hung over so he wouldn't actually intrude or talk too much, and "hung over" not only became his gimmick, they loved it. As for "dumb as hell," my games are dumb as hell in general, because life is loving stupid. I also follow the Venture Brothers storytelling vague doctrine of focusing on failure, which I find honestly helps shape things out a LOT. I'm not kidding, one of the easiest ways for me to "get" my own NPC is to think about where they've hosed up and how it's hit them.

Your players are not going to examine your NPCs, and often times you just have one chance to get them onboard with an NPC, so...yeah. Gimmicks and failures work.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

For whatever reason I really like the Jobs systems from FF games. One of my takeaways with old-school D&D is that there are two ways you can go with the classes: either make them as open and broad as possible so that people can do anything with it, or deliberately do a bunch of weird particular ones like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. that imply things about the setting just by being there.

FF games' job systems work because they're, well, games, and written to work inside games, and written by people who are making games. They're all very mechanical. D&D classes are made by people who view their job as somewhere between amateur writer and another slightly worse amateur writer.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

I guess people are... surprised and amused? that the Satanic Panic happened and ruined a whole shitload of lives for no reason? Like, it could definitely happen again, people, maybe you should actually pay attention to extremely recent history.

It never stopped happening, they just switched targets a lot. I guarantee plenty of lovely nerds who bristled at the whole satanic cult panic thing had no problems joining in talking about how rap was some kind of "degenerating" force.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I feel the need to point out that if anything is XCOM, it's Fragged Empire.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Almost as if trying to create some overarching grand mechanical engine to simulate super hero comics as if they were real life events is pointless and futile!

Seriously, simulationist engines will always fail.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
By all means go to the Pathfinder thread to learn more about the wet fart that Pathfinder 2 looks to be so far.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Not to be extremely cynical, but "isn't this a bit scary and gory?" isn't really going to phase the generation being gunned down every week in their schools.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'll mirror what others have said and say that 40k is more or less aimed at children already and yeah middle schoolers love edgy poo poo. As for it being bad for them...like, have you seen the internet? Frankly, if they push it as either comical over the top fascism, or tone down the fash, I'll semi-begrudgingly that over what they'd otherwise be inundated with.

Frankly the only problem is that it's not just all orks all the time.

EDIT: if it is just straight up glorifying fascism then gently caress this, of course.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 22, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Yeah, it's pretty much 100% this.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Wick is basically the real life tabletop Garth Marenghi

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Wick is absolutely hated less then others, but it's way more fun to hate Wick.

Wick's not the dude who makes you clench your fists or try to never talk about again, Wick's the dude that, on being mentioned, gets you to roll your eyes and groan "oh god, that rear end in a top hat."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

What is Wick's problem with Rogues anyway, that one's never been entirely clear to me.

Wick is honestly just that one mustard seed GM at heart, he's just in far deeper denial. At the end of the day, the worst thing you can do as far as Wick is concerned is actually play the game - and rogues, as something of a "meta-class" that only exists because dungeons exist, reminds him too much that, at the end of the day, this is a game to be played.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

The later work on the Dark Sword of Bitter Lies is really a case of making chicken poo poo into chicken salad.

Wasn't he enraged that later editions made it an actual thing with actual benefits, rather then an "advantage" that just disadvantaged you?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

occamsnailfile posted:

I was thinking about Spelljammer in this regard if one is willing to make up one's own spheres rather than going on a grand tour of the Official Settings without using planar travel, but then I remembered that those stupid helmets require Vancian spellcasting levels or something to operate successfully.

Our group managed a pseudo-spelljammer campaign a lot like this anyway, using GURPS 4th and a few modifications of the out-sphere physics by a GM who loved designing those kinds of systems.

Eberron really doesn't lose much by changing systems though, and it might be a chance to ditch some of the monster manual entries that had to be included or else.

Ditch the vancian helmet thing, and instead use Spelljammer to go on a tour of the Totally Not Copyrighted versions of all the popular settings. The low quality midi Forgotten Realms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

spectralent posted:

I don't think anyone IRL cares about the 4e controversy. I met exactly one person who did and he was a guy in his 40s who hung out in a university RPG society with people half his age to bitch about their games.

Ok, but the number of D&D nerds who aren't in any way online are a bit rare. There's still no shortage of bizarre and random anti-4e drive-bys being done by people who never played the game, and I suspect they will always exist until some new edition becomes the one "D&D culture" hates. And honestly, it isn't surprising. Right up until 4e was announced you could still see people bitching about 2e, including, don't be shocked now, lots of 3e players who didn't know the first thing about 2e.