Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Saguaro PI posted:

So when my (adult, in no way Channer) players saw the Dungeon Mom post they all became very excited about the idea of character sheet stickers. Unfortunately I run my game over Discord, otherwise I would be absolutely all over that poo poo. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can implement this stuff online?

Smileys/emojis under good posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Jimbozig posted:

Id like to post my take on the resource mechanics in *world games later tonight (assuming my kids go to bed), but before I do, it'd be nice to have some data. So in the meantime, I'd be very curious to know from the whole thread:

How many BitD heists have you played in or GMed? And in how many of those did the heist end with the PCs failing to get the loot because they ran out of resources?

I've run two sessions. I can say it's unlikely that there's no gain for the players as a team, but the main consequence for failures is increased Heat, pissing off more people, taking way more stress and not being able to nick the silverware on the way. With a team of 4 it's unlikely that they'll run out of resources on a single heist. Characters are really powerful if they team up and push themselves. You might see someone get really hosed up, maybe get arrested or killed, but outright failure is going to be rare, unless the players decide something absurdly ambitious. BITD is really oriented towards personal and future consequences, although I can't say about later on in the campaign when they go up against the setting's big hitters.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
hyphz, just run a game and see how it goes, that'll show you how it works way better than the explanations here

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You have accumulating traumas so there’s effectively more, although it’s definitely not something you want to get deep into.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fortunately there’s a retirement mechanic that dictates a major aspect of your character’s ending, which ties into the game’s resource systems.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Hyphz if you want to understand how this works in play have a listen to some actual play, that's how I figure out the gist of games I don't know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmw4wC7iOE

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the rumour is wrong: Nobody enters the house alive. once you cross the threshold your ghost leaves your body and you have to heist it as a ghost, then head back to repossess your comatose body. gently caress that would be a sick heist

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

hyphz posted:

Ok, but if the heroes can upend all of the established principles in the fiction, how can you “follow it” while running for them?

it's a spooky rumour, not an objective statement about the mansion

quote:

Even if you don’t take “no one has left” literally, one ghost who turns out helpful and two rooms is a bit weak for a legendary haunted mansion, surely?

if the excerpt went on a little longer they'd be dealing with 3 powerful witches, whatever spirits they have on a tighter leash, hired goons, the demon they were trying to bind, etc. using a successful roll to give a basic ally is perfectly reasonable, same as getting a good reaction roll on some hobgoblins

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

hyphz posted:

Even if you don’t take “no one has left” literally, one ghost who turns out helpful and two rooms is a bit weak for a legendary haunted mansion, surely?

the example you're talking about posted:

“The first few notes of an old lullaby come from the seemingly vacant piano as a softly glowing bluish vapor swirls into existence near it. Do you hear mournful singing? It seems so far away...” “Okay, okay... holy crap you are freaking me out,” Dylan says. “Let’s get going and grab what we came for before more ghosts start popping out of the walls.” “Hmmm,” says Allison. “We don’t know exactly where the artifact is in the house... Dowler just said it was in here somewhere. Maybe I should Compel this ghost here to tell us where it is. Save us the trouble of searching every room. Turn their haunted security against them!” “I like this plan,” Ryan says. “I like any plan that rolls sixes,” Dylan says. “Ha ha. I’m gonna Attune to the ghost and compel it to obey me,” Allison says.

“The ghost forms fully at the piano, banging crazily at the keys and wailing in a horrible crescendo,” Rachel says. “It’s aunt Thea all right, but she’s lost in her ghostly madness and doesn’t recognize you. She spins around, her ghostly dress billowing in the ether, eyes wild. Electroplasmic discharges spark in the air, through the cameo (which erupts with a blue fire), and into Revka and Cross. You both take level 2 harm: ‘Electrical Burns.’ I’m also gonna put three ticks on the ‘Alert’ clock as a ‘serious complication

Really wouldn't call that 'turning helpful', it's a desperate attempt to Compel a ghost that paid off at a cost

On the 2 rooms thing it's just a shorter mission, a single heist isn't supposed to be an entire session, especially when it's kept tight as an example for a book.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Leraika posted:

SO GUYS

Are there any Japanese table top games/games in general I should look into if I was a fan of Kamigakari and Double Cross? If it helps, I'm a big fan of how they let you mix and match thematic elements to make a character.

I can't give specific recommendations based on your examples, but people here speak pretty highly about Tenra Bansho Zero

http://www.tenra-rpg.com/

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

hyphz posted:

What fiction was he following when he made up the music room, the ghost, the presence of a piano, the subvertability of the ghost.. literally anything in that scene?

genre expectations, previous information about the sisters people made up, ideas the players have, general imagination and game mechanics

quote:

Ok, that's cool. And I appreciate you had a player who wanted their character to go out with a bang. But do you think there has even been a case where, because a player was interested in something, it ended up with you spending more time on it and their character suffering a negative consequence which they would not have had if the player had been less interested?

yeah loads of times. Negative consequences are good if it's interesting and something the players are on board with. That's what makes interesting stories.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
dude you just do it. like there isn't anything complicated, you just play it out. you're overthinking this. you just tell a cool story with the help of your gamer friends. you just categorise what happened with the rules and your buds, fidget with the numbers and clocks, and then just come up with another cool thing that fits. that leads to a climax, heist ends and you get a little tangled in the post-mission sheet. There isn't some secret mystery or anything, you just try to have cool stuff happen.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I found the advantage/disadvantage stuff too granular to really do anything narrativey, that stuff gets annoying with the amount you roll in combat. Plus the busted stat/skill setup, lame classes, space combat rules, frequent rolls that cancel themselves out, low starting power level and everything else people have mentioned.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really like the idea that in the cyberpunk future, people are stuck with a fax machine for their life because it's replaced most of their rear end.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_pio0uCG0

this music video is the most accurate depiction of the universe of Unknown Armies

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
War Frisbee

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

food court bailiff posted:

Anyone have any cool AW scenes/ideas/threats/whatever? Finally playing a game soon and want a good backstock of apocalyptica to barf forth, etc. I'll be mining the AW thread and probably the official forums too, but they're loooong.

don't go super crazy with this since you want to define as little of the game as possible before you hit the table, but my general rule of thumb is when you decide what sort of apocalypse it was and how it'll leave the world, ramp it to 11 and you'll have a solid motif to draw on alongside the player's ideas. If you need a few major threats, grab a couple of unused playbooks and base a character off those (don't do a GMPC though, it doesn't work in the system)

That said, the best idea I've read was on the AW forums, there was an NPC gang called Lancer's Lot, who had raided some museums and were equipped with a crazy mix of weapons and armor from throughout history, and presumably a weird mis-matched understanding of everything from that. I think they also motorbike jousted. I've always wanted to play a cannibal chopper who fuels his gang's bikes with rendered human biofuel but I'll never get the chance so do that.
In one early game one of the rival factions (we were the bad guys, really) was a society built in a football stadium, sealed up to prevent the rising tides from getting in and using the grounds to grow food, that had developed a militant sports-cult that organised itself like a team. I really like going for cargo cults in my games.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
People who do a lot of call of cthulu and similar: how often do you come up with new mythos-style monsters compared to using or reinterpreting the classics?

e: rolemaster is interesting, it set itself some clear design goals and met them at every opportunity.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

potatocubed posted:

When I ran AW as a one-shot everything seemed to go according to plan for the player characters and the general tone was quite ludicrous. Although that said I've never been able to shake the idea that we were 'doing it wrong' when we did.

With AW, PCs are pretty drat powerful, so they tend to succeed in whatever’s their general field. You really need to push for inter-player conflict, even if it’s just agendas grinding against each other. That can be pretty tricky to do in a one shot unless you have a pc villain.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/OneShotNetwork/status/966413951675371523

RPG podcast network One Shot finished investigating accusations of sexual harassment against one of it's contributors, and not only cleared his name but found an alt-right campaign to defame the network. It's some real weird poo poo.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

Cool so the BitD-y way to handle, say, fighting ghosts would be "using arcane weapons/tools increases your effect" rather than "you can't fight them without arcane weapons" which is what I actually did in game.

Either works fine, depending on the approach and what you're going for tone-wise.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fortunately the dice come up blank half the time

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I found the star wars dice and the advantage/threat way too granular for combat, especially with the low amounts of successes you tend to get. You mostly have +blue dice on the next guy or recover strain unless you get really weird luck or it's late game. It's similar to Fate's situational advantage stuff but worse because you have less control over it and it doesn't have as much mechanical weight.

FMguru posted:

(or The Guide To Glorantha :getin:)

guide to glorantha is too dense to really start with. Plus it's pretty pricey.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 3, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

slap me and kiss me posted:

Y'all might remember Might Makes Right, a finalist from last year's 200 word RPG contest.

Here's its bigger, tougher, stronger, younger sibling, which I've been working on as a side project.

Advanced Might Makes Right.

This alpha document includes a new edition of Muscle Marines in Space, the original RPG, which now includes chase and social rules. It also includes a number of hacks, including Muscle of the Week, Deadlifts and Dragons, Shadowrunning, and of course, Quadfinder.

This rules, especially the shadowrunning hack

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a good way to sell miniatures online? I have some Tyranids that I'm never gonna do anything with

most people just use ebay, I think.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Reaction abilities being everywhere help keep your brain on, although that goes away in the second hour

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
“Can’t tolerate dissenting opinions huh!?!” I said in a rage after encountering fairly basic liberal criticism of an obscure text in a small corner of the internet

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Covok posted:

13th Age Glorantha is out.

Serious question, did anyone here buy Guide to Glorantha and, if you did, did you actually read it cover to cover?

I've read a lot of it, you'll definitely skim bits of it (the doraddi are cool but I wouldn't read the encyclopedia for them). I'd recommend it if you're interested in the setting from what you've read already, but it's not like a Monster Manual. The guide's also very civilisation and history focused, it doesn't get super deep into a lot of the cosmology.

There's a similar book that's probably a lot more accessible and focused to the stuff you'd see in a 13th Age game here. I haven't read it though but it's a lot cheaper.
https://www.chaosium.com/the-glorantha-sourcebook-pdf/

There's a few region-focused heroquest supplements about Sartar and Pavis which would be useful and are more likely to come up in 13G than Fonrit* or whatever. Because 13th Age is a class-based system it's a lot more work to adapt to a different region.

*they loving better though so I can be a pujaleg vigilante

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 7, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It should work as-is. Just say it’s a superhero game and DM accordingly.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm a dummy who doesn't check the forum itself, only my bookmarked threads. I didn't know there was a general TG chat thread.

Hello! How's everybody doing in here?

I haven't played any tabletop rpgs recently but I have a friend who said that he's been coerced into a bad game. To quote him,

I can't say I've ever heard of it but hopefully he'll be able to just say "yo I'm not having fun, peace"

If he isn't enjoying it he should drop it, same as everything else

The sprawl isn't a bad game and sounds like it isn't being run properly (I don't think there's PVP stuff in it, the GM isn't prepared or explaining stuff well, and they're being way too harsh with the Heat Clock) but if he doesn't like it, he's not going to like it 5 sessions down the line.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best intro game I’ve seen is Call of Cthulhu. It’s simple to grasp the resolution, it doesn’t take long to set up a character, it’s good for one-shots, most of it can be understood without many gamey terms, players probably get the genre and there’s lots of modules and support.

That said, start with Burning Wheel. Jump in the deep end, cull the weak from the flock.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

You're in the Traditional Games forum, not the politics one.

Every forum is the politics one

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else here find the whole "D&D is bad and you shouldn't play it" attitude that keeps coming up in stuff like that incredibly obnoxious?

even if I do agree that 3rd Edition and Pathfinder are bad, and that 5e is the epitome of mediocre, the other editions are perfectly fine though

Not really, it’s fun to post and it’s dumb to hide your opinions to fit some discourse. If you don’t like it don’t read the 2 threads it pops up in now

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Heliotrope posted:

I'd like to try out Dungeon World sometime, but the games here use the bajillions of fan playbooks which alter and change things a bunch and also require you to buy them - it'd be nice if there was a list of the good ones you can get for free if the ones in the game aren't that great (something I've heard but never seen for myself since I haven't played).

the dungeon world thread OP is full of free playbooks, most of them goon-made

(best one is the Princess)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

potatocubed posted:

The main thing I recall from Burning Empires is that if you take the soldier lifepath you get the mandatory trait "FUGAZI". I don't know what that means. It's never explained in the book. Even Googling for it doesn't clear it up for me.

It means you’re in a cool band.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember hpapyefl going on a rant about how BW is very much not in the spirit of the games that the Forge/indie movement of the early 00s was encouraging people to make. (As opposed to My Life with Master or Nicotine Girls.) It's a fair cop.

I don’t know why anyone would think it was in the first place, at every level it’s a weird crank’s heartbreaker with complicated rules and subsystems that actually kind of works. It’s like complaining DnD isn’t in the spirit.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Haystack posted:

Right now I'm running a Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha campaign with my wife and am loving it. I was seriously not expecting to like the system that much, and definitely wasn't expecting my wife to like it. But here we are, planning out an elaborate heroquest that'll resurrect an earth goddess and dislodge a necromancer.

How are you handling the GMing side? I like the system but the gm's guide and bestiary aren't out yet so I'd be a little lost. Are you running off the backwards compatibility from older editions, and how do you handle enemies?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Haystack posted:

My GMing situation is kind of weird. For starters, it's a two-player game between my wife and I that we're effectively co-GMing. I'm also a pretty deep Gloranthaphile (and my wife is no slouch), so dealing with the setting has com pretty naturally. On the other hand, this is the first campaign I've ever GMed, the second I've played in, and my first time GMing Runequest. So I can't say for sure if my experience will be much help.

Keeping all that in mind, I've found the game pretty manageable to GM. It hasn't been a terribly combat focused campaign, and I've been able to handle what combat there was fairly easily. The fairly unified combat and character mechanics means that pretty much everything you learn applies to every character, which is nice. My main complaint at this point is that the technical writing in the corebook is kind of flaky in places (particularly the dual-wielding rules).

In terms of resources... at this point I've played through the free quickstart adventure twice – once as one-shot and once when I integrated it into my current campaign – and can vouch for it's quality. Next, there's the two Bestiary Previews, and GM Guide Preview. Finally there's a whole mess of old RQ2 material that's very cross-compatible (RQG has a conversion guide in an appendix), including a free bare-bones bestiary. There's also the whole huge back-catalog of Glorantha sourcebooks and campaigns if you want setting info or adventure hooks.

It's nice to know the old stuff is actually convertible. Most of the preview stuff I saw seemed to have an ulterior motive for going out: the bestiary preview is all good player races and common companions, and the GM's guide is mostly errata. I'm familiar with the setting so that isn't an issue. My main concern is balanced encounters: I can't really tell what's appropriate to throw at the pcs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Haystack posted:

Yeah, the combination of incredibly dangerous combat and universal healing makes for a weird dynamic. I'm taking things cautiously at the moment and have outright ruled that none of the PCs are dying without a really good narrative reason. They can get knocked out, maimed, ransomed, all that good stuff, but outright death is off the table.

I really agree. When I wrote the fatal and friends writeup combat lethality was one of my biggest annoyances and a lot of my criticisms were based on mitigating it. There's all the talk about how combat should always be a risk but there's way better ways of doing that, especially when it's the most important part of the game and it's easy to gently caress up by thinking basic elves are a good opponent or something. For all the talk about maximum game fun or being Heroes it goes out the window pretty fast when swords are drawn.

E: As a followup I just checked the maths and a swordsman with 100% combat skill has approximately a one in a thousand chance of probably killing themselves every attack. That seems like a lot, but it adds up, and when you consider how many people play the game there's going to be a lot of people not having maximum game fun. Never have Critical Misses in your game.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Has anyone ever tried making an rpg where actions resolve simultaneously? The concept of rounds and turns in 6 second increments has always been weird to me.

I guess youd have to have a grid and write your moves ahead of time then resolve conflicts with combat

I dont know if that would be any fun but maybe someones tried that??

Runequest and BRP does this. It has everyone declare what they're doing at the start of each round, and then everything is resolved in the order of each action's Strike Ranks, which is a number you get from a few factors like weapon reach, dexterity and size, how much magic you're pumping into it.

E: most apocalypse world stuff does this as well because they copy seize by force, but it's very player facing and abstracted

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 15, 2018