Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
follow the fiction is also used to mean "does it make sense". if you're robbing a bank then the bathrooms aren't rigged to an alarm but the vault probably is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
why was an ultra badass wizard and the world's best sniper hitting up some podunk divebar?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

No, you make hard moves when they roll under 6. You make soft moves when they look to you. They're not being punished, they're asking you to advance the plot. This already happens in games. It always happens. When the players have nothing to go off of to advance things, they rely on the GM to introduce a new element. Otherwise, the game would die there. Pbta simply spells it out.

It is no more punishment then running a game for them being a punishment. The point of the game is to overcome challenges, if new challenges are not introduced, there is no game. Therefore, it is not a punishment to introduce new challenges, that is simply providing a gameplay experience.

guys every time i walk into the tall grass in pokemon a monster jumps out and fights me, why did this game cover so much of the world in tall grass then punish me for walking in it?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

That's what they apparently do in Shadowrun. Hey, don't blame me if the setting doesn't make sense.

no it really isn't. in Shadow Run the players are assumed to be "shadowrunners" who make shadow runs against megacorporate targets. do you often run a game with seemingly 0 idea of what you're playing?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

It doesn't matter what system you're playing.

If you have a map in advance that says there's a dragon in that room, the players use their spells up in the first four rooms and then open the last room and see the dragon, that's fine because you are maintaining the integrity of the map.

If you don't have such a map and the players use their spells up in the first four rooms and then open the last room and see a dragon that you've just spontaneously decided was there, then whether you like it or not you've just set up for that outcome because you know too well what is going to happen.

what if the players talk to the dragon? what if they bribe the dragon with tasty meats? what if they turn around and find another way out which they can do because there isn't a rigid map that we all must slavishly devote ourselves to?

quote:

But what about when having a dragon absolutely makes perfect sense but will also absolutely cause the PCs to lose the mission?

don't have a situation that must absolutely happen because you're not a robot.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 8, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well I mean at least one person has made the argument that no tabletop game works on those assumptions, meaning not even D&D

I pretty much stand by it too, if you are in an RPG and RP is not a valid tool for problem solving (roll augmented or not) then something is hosed

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I disagree.

Especially with regards to Elfgames' post:

because this is literally "no, no RPG can or should work like that" and that's what I'm reacting against.

And i stand by it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

What do I mean by manipulation? “I’ve taken a bunch of Harm and the GM is spawning encounters as long as we’re interested. Quick! Everybody get bored!”

these are the words of a crazy person.

"we're having fun but things aren't going perfectly for my character everyone stop having fun." what sane person does this?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

Pretty much any sane person if you have a game with rules based on fun that thus creates a stupid feedback loop. Look at the choices:

1) Keep having fun, keep having encounters, Dave's character being seriously injured probably dies to those encounters and that's less fun for him
2) Stop having fun for a moment, the encounters end, we get the treasure, that's fun, the next adventure can be fun again and Dave's character is fine

or, have fun, keep having fun, Dave's character dies in a fun way. Dave makes a new character and has more fun.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
hyphz have you ever ran a game that wasn't a module?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

thefakenews posted:

Why is difficulty easier to overcome if I am preparing a D&D 5E adventure?

i can answer this for him "because D&D provides hardness rules and ect and therefore you know how hard your character has to hit to break a door"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair, there's a smidgen of a real issue with what hyphz is describing with his Shadowrun story.

If you can create a character that dumps all their points into Shoot, it's possible if not likely that that character will be able to shoot everything in the premade adventure really easily.

The natural reaction is for the GM to make the monsters harder to shoot, but if the rest of the party did not dump all their points into shoot, then you have this extreme dichotomy where a monster is either piss-easy to be shot by the Shootman while being "just right" for everyone else, or difficult to shoot for the Shootman while being impossible to hit for everyone else.

This is why D&D 4e moved to the "Half-Level Bonus" as a baseline number for all of their stats: the designers realized that in 3e, there was an unsustainable disparity between a character that went all in on AC like a Paladin, versus a caster. Or the disparity between a Fighter's poor Will saves and their good Fort saves. Or the disparity between a skill that you were maintaining full skill points into, versus one that you weren't.

At least with 4e's Half-Level Bonus bringing up the rear, there's still a disparity, but one that is within the range of the d20 to be able to capture (and within the player's power to try and mitigate).

In Shadowrun 5e, the current workaround is to use the Run Faster sourcebook's Life Modules character generation system to buy predefined packages of skills, that result in more well-rounded characters, rather than a pure point-buy where you can buy as many points of Shoot as you can specifically afford.

It 's definitely the mark of a less than stellar designed game for sure but i think it shouldn't be too hard for a gm to look at a character sheet and go "hey your character is a bit too specialized tone the x skill down a few points and round them out a bit"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
how do you watch movies?

like it doesn't have to make factual real world sense, it needs to make sense for the story.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

why didn't they just ride the eagles to mordor

why do guards on the chase never look down that one alcove that the heroes ducked into, thus allowing them to escape

why doesn't skynet just send a terminator back to cowboy times and end the connor line there

why doesn't the villain just shoot the hero in the head instead of monologuing and giving them an opening

i can only imagine the kinds of nightmare games you run and the poor, tortured souls who are desperate enough to subject themselves to that

Remember he doesn't run games, he sets everyone on a module and god help you if you don't follow the tracks.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

The same thing came up a bunch of times. I set up a meeting between two gangs in a warehouse that was intended to be a neat set piece but the players just blocked the entrances and sieged it. The players committed a bunch of crimes but any time Lone Star showed up they just surrendered instantly (because they had no problem with actual atrocities that could be justified as scum-on-scum but didn’t want to touch “innocent” cops), so I had to have them mysteriously never show up or campaign over.

this is like the most un-shadowrun thing i've ever heard, like you should have had lone star show up they surrender and then lone star blows out their brains because it's less paper work(edit: btw this is bad gm advice don't do it. i only advocate it here because the players have no sense of the genre)

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 11, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Foglet posted:

Now let's try and be reasonable, that would've just gotten a bit too over the top.

ed: I mean, you have to draw a line somewhere.

the line is at lightsaber dick/nipples. under that line go crazy

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's a laser sword it is both laser and sword

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

My point of contention with the whole '5e' thing is that I believe that rule systems are evocative of your game's theme - 5e is explicitly 'D&D 3.5 refined', and D&D 3.5 is a fantasy themed tactical murderhobo game of nerd wizard supremacy. That might not be what they wanted to go for.

The theme is awesome, but I feel like they're making it a 5e supplement either because it's what the author knows or what they believe will sell. Either way, I feel that it's a missed opportunity to adapt a better system that would be more evocative of the theme. I'm not saying it should be a PbtA hack (I say as I brainstorm a hack for Night Witches, itself a PbtA hack), but there has to be a better option.

i mean i think the idea is to go murderhobo in a pastel colored lisafrank hellworld

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I mean, the strategy is debatably working. WOTC is clearly putting minimal effort and resources into D&D and it's selling like hotcakes apparently (thanks to clever digital marketing more than anything), so I don't see Wizards changing that formula at all.

i mean they really just got lucky as they put out a new edition at the same time as digital content producers were looking to branch out from video games imo

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, I understand that, but if you cast a speed spell in, say, Dungeons and Dragons, and the result is that the target hits harder, it's going to be met with some confusion.

by idiots

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, yes, improving a story is ultimately what pen and paper RPGs are for that's not really in dispute, but Dread's whole point is the visual of the Jenga tower. That'd be fine for those games hosted as Youtube videos, but wouldn't that lead to a lot of dead air on a podcast while people wait for the draw to happen?

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2016/07/04/system-mastery-actual-play-4-lovedread-jenga/ since jef won't post his own stuff how about you give it alisten and find out.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

My dream is to find people selling boxes of the monster rancher tcg cards at a convention but I haven't see any since like 1999

did it play like the tcg video game?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Surprisingly, no. iirc it was designed to be played in groups (I can't remember how large though) and there were separate Training and Battling phases where you raised monsters and then fought them in round robin tournaments with the ultimate goal being to win 3 Star Chips. As you can see from a monster card it basically had zero resembalence to the GBC and (the significantly better) PSX game.

oh poo poo that's awful the psx game was rad i am sad now

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of my old idea where Digimon, Medabots, Mega Man Battle Network, Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh! all share a setting and compete for the same demographics. A collection of neglected monster pets (and an outdated sentient antivirus program) all competing for their disinterested owner's attention or otherwise trying to kill time.

so uh real life? but the toys are alive?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Is there a way to play a Ranma-like character with the sex-change curse without being seen as weird? While it was never intended as such, I attached to that kind of thing as a teen because of my own confusion with my own gender identity. But, I can see it not playing out well.

i mean i feel like my biggest weirdness with it is the curse part. Like "i wanna play a character who can change their gender at will." isn't odd to me but when you throw in the curse part i find it odd

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

I highly doubt that's the dumbest line to be found in an Ernest Cline novel.

i smell a contest.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ur dumb

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

Torchbearer is fantastic. It's D&D through a punk rock lens: you're an adventurer because you're a loving nobody from loving nowhere and the only hope you have of not living a life of near-starvation until you die of some disease in your middle age is to set out to maybe make something of yourself or die trying.

Read the book. Not skim. Read it. Run a conflict round on your own to understand how it works before you try to teach it to people. Follow the rules closely (especially timekeeping and checks) and, if your players are a little smart, a little lucky, and very determined, they might just come out alive.
it's LotR but darker.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

NachtSieger posted:

tag yourself im sensual broken

unnecessary Hallow

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
depending on how much you hate john wick http://johnwickpresents.com/product/cat-a-little-game-about-little-heroes/ cat the rpg exists

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Haystack posted:

Physical book pros:
  • It's somewhat easier to flip back and forth through a physical book, which is handy for a reference text.
  • You don't need a laptop or tablet to have the text at the table.
  • They're generally easier for your other players at the table to use, since they don't have to be computer literate to use the text.

Cons:
  • They're more expensive, obviously.
  • PDF readers have nice built in search and bookmark features and whatnot.

Pro: you can beat your gm over the head when he decides to use some dumbass rule that makes everything slow down for 4 hours.

Con: you have to look at it on your bookshelf and know the abomination of a system that lies within

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When I said slowly I meant it; I've only had a chance to run Strike! and (if it counts) Shadow of the Demon Lord so far.

Strike! is very easy to prep for, runs very fast, and I like the combat well enough. Unfortunately I'm not really a fan of how it handles any of the non-combat aspects of the game. There's a little too much FATE in its DNA for my tastes and the "absolutely everything is modular and optional," means that all the GM work you saved on encounter design now has to go in to basically building a game from the pieces.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is by one of the lead designers on 4E and plays sort of like a "greatest hits" of 2E, 3E, and 4E with some Warhammer Fantasy RP on the side. It's stretching the definition of "4E clone" quite a bit to call it one, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I do wish it gave everyone powers like 4E instead of using Vancian spellcasting, but it's the most sensible implementation of Vancian spellcasting I've ever seen.

Gamma World 7E is built on a 4E framework but with vastly streamlined character creation, very disposable characters, and no "adventuring day" to speak of -- a 5-minute rest restores all your powers and hit points. While understanding that it's necessary for by-the-book 4E, I've never especially liked the attrition-based model of combat difficulty, so I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot.

I'm interested in running Valor, if it ever gets bookmarks in the PDF so that I can reference it. :argh:
It has you build 4E-style powers from modular bits which sounds incredibly cool if also like it could be a balance nightmare.

As I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye on Let Thrones Beware, although the last time I read the rules was a whole bunch of beta releases ago. My brief impression was that it seemed pretty closely married to its setting, which I think is a good quality in an RPG in the abstract, but in this case didn't do much for me.

you don't understand what a 4e clone or vancian spellcasting is.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

The One Ring isn't even remotely D&D-like, this document sucks. :colbert:

quote:

B: Yes, I want to play a fantasy adventure game, but it doesn’t need to be D&D or D&D adjacent. I want to go on an adventure with a group of friends and have a good time, but I don’t need all that stuff listed in answer A to do it.

go on.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

It’s under the “I want exactly D&D” section too.

well that's dumb

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
puzzles are bad don't use them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

oriongates posted:

The biggest problem is that it's thematically limited...it's fine to abstract your decker jamming cybereyes and confusing drones with bad signals, but if you're just fighting low-tech gangers or a pack of feral ghouls you become useless.

You hack a nearby car and run it into the ghouls or you hack a nearby X overloading it's battery causing it to explode

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair in every game the change that's being presented is an extremely bad one

yeah that's how they get you

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

The three things that the name Monte Cook makes me think of, thanks to TG:

1: "Beaners"
2: Coming up with exciting new mechanics and then blowing the implementation
3: Smithers from The Simpsons singing "I work for Monte Cook, da dah da dah Monte Cook..."

0: the moon

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bedlamdan posted:

Exciting stuff, very reminiscent of works like Lamentations of the Flame Princess, or FATAL.

I can see why it has such has a devoted following on our own forums! :discourse:
lol go gently caress yourself, there's some gross poo poo in SotDL but comparing it to fatal is loving garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bedlamdan posted:

lol, no, random tables that describe "weird/hilarious" things that can happen to your genitals is literally a thing FATAL does, and is also something a lot of other, different games do not bother with for some unknown reason.

The comparison is justified in this case, as it's something pretty unique here, my dude!

no go gently caress yourself you disingenuous piece of poo poo, a bit of dumb dick humor is nowhere near the same bullshit that is in fatal