Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

What would you be looking for in an S&S game that DW doesn't fit?

One that's even mildly interesting in any way :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

I'm running my first game of DW (albeit via play-by-post) and it's plenty interesting. The GM move guidelines have pushed me to do things that I wouldn't have otherwise, and it's worked out pretty great.

I mean I guess if you've never played another PbtA game at all it might be interesting. It's pretty amateurish and boring by the standards of the actually good ones though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's just a little bit :psyduck: that you think a conversation about a game that includes a less than optimal outcome must by it's nature devolve into a battle of wills and social skullduggery.

I’ve definitely had players like that before.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Serf posted:

sounds like a good time to have a conversation as adults about their behavior and expectations for how the game is going to go. if that fails, then show them the door

Pretty much

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sion posted:

Chat has been loving dreadful this year. Like, somehow worse than last year which I didn't think could be a thing?

Its cause people are Real Mad that they set it to subscriber only.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hyphz posted:

LOL. I thought of it the other way with in character leakage:

PC1: What was that shadow?
PC2 (looking out of a porthole): Something huge just went past us, guys.
PC3: It’s over here now! It’s just swimming around us!
(A huge cry shakes the ruined hull)
PC1: Oh, don’t worry. It’s just threat escalating.
PC2: What?
PC1: We’re in a “nebulous external threat” scene. Don’t sweat it. Just put on your best act.
PC2: Our act?
PC1: Yea, scream and run around and stuff and it won’t touch us. Or it might look like it will, but trust me, we’re all getting out of here completely intact with the gem.

Oh so you and all your players are apparently terminally :tvtropes:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It should be more like tune-ups and stuff though; temporary buffs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

This guy owns

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Starfinder is substantially less functional than Pathfinder, while not really having any meaningful advantages over it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

oriongates posted:

So, not knowing anything about the blastersaber I do a quick google...

wookiepedia claims the lightsaber part is built "light and swift" to take advantage of his speed....how the hell does that work. The only part of the lightsaber that should have any weight is the actual handle, and he's the only jedi that has an actual gun snapped to the base, meaning his should be the slowest (outside of the weird exotic ones light Maul's extra-long saber-staff). Unless they're somehow claiming that his laser-blade somehow weighs less than other laser blades?

Lightsabers are supposed to have a gyroscopic magnetic field or some bullshit that makes them feel heavy

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
D&D->13th Age is pretty doable, in my experience. I had a pretty easy time selling it as alternate-D&D

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Jenna Moran is a hundred feet tall and covered in spikes and won't let me build a temple in her stupid city.

You're thinking of Jhen Mohran, actually

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Trying to remember a RPG that I've heard of in passion. Something about giant mechs being piloted in tandems, with an emotional compatibility system between pilots and partners. Very anime.

Any ideas?

Bliss Stage possibly? Pedo warning on that one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Are there any RPGs that work well with just 3 people?

Dogs in the Vineyard tends to work better with fewer people. It’s pretty easy to reflavor the very good base mechanics too.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I really like the WHFR 2e bestiary for the vast amount of in-character information, split into "ignorant dipshit", "people who know what they're talking about", and "the creature in question".

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I find it hard to differentiate meaningfully past about 4-5 subjective tiers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zurui posted:

Is there a good game for playing as a ruler of a duchy/small country? I'm looking at REIGN but am open to other ideas.

How crunchy are you aiming for?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Honestly Ars Magica has pretty decent rules for running a demense and courtly intrigue. People tend to just pass it over for wizards, cause who wouldn’t?

Granted it has to be low fantasy medieval.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The core dice and force point system is generally ok, but it’s attached to a really bad character creation, advancement, and gear system, and a mediocre skill system.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Profitfinder!!

Haha paizo is a business that likes money!!!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Geneforge remakes when

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Why thef uck are you on that site.

You're asking the forums leading hentai expert

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Junpei posted:

Are mechanicless/roll-less PBP games allowed here? Role play with no systems or mechanics (aside from an inventory)?

Yes

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
One of the Rogue Trader books has pretty reasonable rules for army/fleet actions. Battlefleet Koronus maybe? They’re crunchy enough for players to engage with, but don’t have much bookkeeping.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I can’t imagine why you would run a tactical combat game in loving FATE

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Oh ignore me then

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

it shouldnt you dumb gently caress

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cassa posted:

Is there an example of a wargame, ala Infinity, that has a narrative element that has ended?
Not like, line cancelled, game shuttered. But the Devs go "this was the story we wanted to tell, no more fluff updates."

I understand that in the case of a still living and hugely popular game that's unlikely. But beyond that.

Warhammer Fantasy :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I have little to no TRPG experience so I have no real perspective on how hard something is to play. :v: Regardless, I don't have anyone to play with, but if I come across the book again I might just pick it up.

I still have to actually rope some people into playing Dungeon World, though.

Consider checking out 13th Age if you want a dnd-esque game that isn't utterly boring.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Rebels in fiction are probably the good guys more often than not.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

Can I be unbanned from the discord server?

which one

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
“Freeform 5e” is basically the best possible praise for dungeon world

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The new Vampire layout looks like rear end

White wolf layouts always suck butthole

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

If I wanted to play in a particular system, but the goon games don’t have any of that type recruiting right now, what’s another good place to find groups? I want to avoid the insanity detailed in the Cat Piss thread so I’m wary of joining random poo poo on Roll20, but that doesn’t give me a lot of selection. IRL friends aren’t interested in starting a TRRPG campaign due to something I’ve never figured out.

What system are you interested in?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I like to play as idiot paladin types generally. My fallback npc personality is ‘friendly but aggressively useless’.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

Serious question, did anyone here buy Guide to Glorantha and, if you did, did you actually read it cover to cover?

I read a whole lot of it, though not really cover to cover. I skimmed it and read in detail anything that I though was interesting, which was a lot of it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Honestly I’d be kinda irritated if I was still at level 1 four sessions in. IMO leveling up quickly early on is a good thing; customization helps people get invested in their characters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like a good number of shonen battles - at least in better series like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or One Piece - are kind of more like puzzle challenges than straightforward fights. The hero has to work out how best to leverage their own powers creatively to beat a foe that is likely unbeatable in a straightforward fight. Though that's not always the case, of course, sometimes there's a secondary element or dilemma that keeps the hero from just throwing out whatever their Big Attack is, like a hostage or a promise they made or they've been debuffed somehow. I'm not sure there's a system that really does that well yet, through I know folks have certainly considered it.

This is basically why I've taken to describing Nobilis conflict as shonen fights. Two equally matched fighters basically can't do much to each other; they either need to figure out their enemies weakness, or else Learn A Lesson and bring their newfound strength to bear.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The thing is, when you break out the combat rules and the grid and all that, the challenge should be primarily based on those mechanics. If you want to design a fight that you can't kill normally, that's fine, but the primary challenge in that case should be the players having to try to maneuver the enemy, or escape, or cover for another party member charging up the giant kaiju cannon or whatever. What they shouldn't be doing is rolling skill tests and trying to invent a way to kill the monster; that should happen before the fight, or in Strike, as an Analysis action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Right but my example is 'use the combat mechanics, but with a goal other than get the monster's hp to 0'. For example, using crowd control or forced movement skills to try to maneuver the monster to a particular point on the battlefield, or holding the line against it for a set number of rounds. IMO that's perfectly valid.

e: or hell, stuff like 'capture this point and make sure there are no enemies within 3 squares'