Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
It was a year of fire....

...in that Iīm most likely going to burn or destroy some of the worst rpgs Iīve been unable to sell because of how unknown and generically lovely they are.
...and a Babylon 5 quote =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

Continued from last thread:

I believe the germ that became D&D was a wargame scenario where you're infiltrating a castle through its dungeon.
I actually researched this a while back and apparently a lot of the dungeon stuff came from the fact that they wanted to expand Castle Black...hawk? Greyhawk? Greyblack? Something Something...., because it was a development from...
BLACKMOOR! Castle Blackmoor! Thatīs what it was, wasnīt it? Anyway, according to "Playing the World" and Designers and Dungeons (70s) the idea of dungeons actually came about because they had already pacified and mostly divided the surrounding lands of Castle Blackmoor, and to quote Arneson

Dave Arneson posted:

"Shortly, Castle Blackmoor was too small for the scale I wanted. But it was a neat kit and I didnīt want to abandon it, so the only way to go was down."
So yeah, Dungeons because Arneson wasnīt willing to expand outside like many other games were. Silly, but then again what isnīt in this hobby.

Halloween Jack posted:

I kind of enjoy generically lovely RPGs in the same way I enjoy generically lovely movies: they can only stay "generic" for so long before they become a snapshot of a particular time and place in the medium. What you got?
[...]

Letīs see....Iīve got Blood & Bullets, a bad d20-ified Western DnD, A Palladium Fantasy RPG Book 2:Old Ones, Osiris RPG - Spielerhandbuch (German, unknown game, weird manga-esque style, boring kind of bad), Testaments of the First Cabal for Mage, Trinity Shattered Europe, Midgard Books, several d20 Mythic Vistas (Medieval Players Guide [bad]), Three Days to Kill (Penumbra-Series), Star Wars d6 Slaves of Goroth, or ERPS (Erstes Deutsches RollenspielsSystem [First German Roleplaying System, but not really] with imaginative adventures like Mother-In-Lawīs Brows Furrow, or Icy Lands of Cold Towers), Bloodshadows RPG, LODland, and several old unboxed DSA (TDE) 4th Edition books Iīll never ever use again because I despise the system and world behind it. Iīve got some other pieces, but canīt be bothered to write them up completely, but much of it is in german, so Iīm unsure if itīs of any use to someone outside :(

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Plutonis posted:

Can someone explain me this stupid argument in a paragraph or less I'm not reading four pages of this

Hyphz is asking weird hypothetical questions about PbtA games and Blades in the Dark because he canīt get his brain around the fact that there can be concepts around rpgs that "follow from the fiction" and asks for examples but hasnīt gotten too many to apply to his situation because heīs a realism and plausibility-inspired dnd-gm. Also the Wire as done by BitD was awesome to read. Thank you for that *thumbs_up*

Oh, and he also seems to think or actually has players who hate fun and challenge.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Only one in 100 padawans succeeds in mastering the Lightwhip.
Donate today, for those poor poor souls with a few limbs missing
due to their idiocy in believing that you can actually wield
such a thing safely, for they need your credits.
- This service message brought to you by the Imperial Charity Bureau.
[All donors persecuted by Imperial law enforcement due to being charitable to Jedi Traitors]

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question:
Is there a Lasers&Feelings variant set in classical errol flynn style-pirates? Or any other quick, easy and dirty pirate-themed rpg you can learn in less than 20mins?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

DigitalRaven posted:

Gimme a couple of hours? I have one half-written around here somewhere that I can finish off...

EDIT: Here it is! Swashbucklers & Scoundrels

If you'd rather not have a dropbox link, it's mirrored on my own site here

I could kiss you! *mwah*
This is going to be great. Thank you ^^

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I had a fascinating discussion today about role-playing and dnd that I wanted to recap here because it was inspired by a number of interesting points.
Basic point #1: Podcasts and twitch/YouTube replays of actual gaming combined with shows like Stranger Things etc. inspire people to seek out role-playing because "that looks cool"
Basic point #2: Role-playing can be divided in a wide variety of style, rules and genres, but mostly focuses on fantastical journey/narrative-games or mathematically heavy mechanical play
Basic point #3: DnD, as coming from war gaming origin, might not even simulate role-play at all, but rather is an amalgamated/varied war gaming experience that accidentally also allows for role-playing parts of it.
Basic point #4: The most successful genre of movies/books/narratives of any kind arenīt fantasy/sci-fi/whatever you think. Itīs romance & general human drama.
Basic point #5: At any moment there are more successful real life narrative games/shows without any fantastic imagery on screen/available as books/comics than any role-playing game offers.

Based on those three points the discussion actually went around quite a bit, but it focused on a very interesting thought. With the rise of podcast and video replays, we see an ever greater number of people joining the ranks of role-players, as well as an extension of actual genres. However, how do we discern such tastes if we only ever offer the fantastical? The success of trash TV about making moonshine in Mississippi and talent shows, casting in general, cooking shows, soccer and related sports etc, thereīs also been a rise of simulators and games for their particular ilk. For heavenīs sake, Cooking Mama is an enormous franchise with hundreds of millions of dollars worth. But Iīve yet to see a role-playing game try to snatch up the growing group of farmers yearning for a Seed Farmer RPG, or a Soccer Team RPG (imagine something like this where the final boss battle of an evening is the actual game. Instead of combat feats, you have ball manoeuvres etc. You can do this for just about every sport really) or something similar. Are we just caught up in our bottle of escapist fantasy or is this just a sector or genre thatīs yet to grow out of the numerous indies currently flooding the pdf and general rpg market?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

Re #4: Are you sure about that? In any given year for a long time now, the most popular films are genre movies.

Re #5: The big groups of potential roleplayers who aren't being captured by the medium are people doing freeform, online roleplay, and people playing RPG video games.

First, I'm not convinced that the way forward for RPGs is to recruit more people by imitating whatever is popular in whatever other given medium. It's better to focus on what's being done in things that are at least games in the first place. Not everything adapts well to a tabletop game--you could certainly make a game about The Amazing Race or American Ninja Warrior, but what about Dr. Phil, The Daily Show, and The Bachelor?

Re: Re #4
Iīm not sure, Iīm afraid.
I suppose itīs more of a sign of the times,
but then I seem to remember early movie making and the first half of the 20th century as bigger on historical movies than anything else.
Weird, I suppose. Also might just be me. Gone with the Wind, Spartacus, Ben-Hur but then on the other hand, Nosferatu.

Edit:Though Iīd just had. Is the increasing reliance on fictional and fantastical content in entertainment media a way to blend out the perceived/subjective "cruel" reality and therefore points to manīs increased detachment from himself and his others?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
So whatīs the effect if you put it on the head of a True Neutral druid? Isnīt that kind of already logically failing his assumption?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Iīll die on the hill of "Discovery is lovely."
Not because itīs bad as a Trek series, why I donīt even care about, but because its bad as a coherent story and tv series.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

NachtSieger posted:

I might have accidentally roped myself into running a solo Godbound game. Does anyone have any good advice for kind of a newbie GM?

Donīt overthink it, just go with the flow of the story, narrative is more important than rules, if an action is awesome but the rules say no "eff the rules" and remember to cheer for the person youīre gmīing for. Also talk to that person about expectations and wants for the game. When you know what s/he is looking for, it becomes much easier to meet and exceed expectations .

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I was positively suprised by Shotgun Diaries and we had an enjoyable one-shot night of zombie dsystopia and grimness.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Brigadoom, the musical episode of Lexx, is a better musical than Hamilton.

So, what, you just woke up this morning thinking "I wanna fight somebody!" ?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Just wrote the newest blogpost for my homebrew rpg project and realized I semi-accidently ripped of Blades in the Dark a bit too much.
But itīs still a really good thing. Goddarn!
How far does one have to got before itīs easier to make it a complete Blades-Hack instead of reinventing the wheel?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I think the problem is more in how DnD is synonymous with "pen&paper/tabletop roleplaying" instead of just "DnD",
which creates the problem due to how massively it distorts whatever kind of experience one can and might want to have.

The problem of course gets exercerbated as those who grew up with DnD and itīs derivatives like Vampire et Al. now are in position to bringt their experience,
as flawed and inane as it might have been, to both the big screen as well as the small screen.

Not to be misunderstood, Iīm not saying itīs bad that people are more visibly roleplaying and the podcasts are great, and some of those shows are great,
but its basically creating what amounts to bad expectations and confers a very different image of what roleplaying as a whole can be.

Which is so much more than DnD ever even tried to provide. Itīs like this blast from the past is trying to drag down roleplaying screaming and kicking
back into the 70s to hunt for a perceived ideal state of gaming that never even existed in the first place, because it was all poo poo made up along the way...

Man, I donīt know either, Iīm just sad.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

fr0id posted:

[...]
How about other goons? What games rock and more people should play?

Among those best games I never played are such great darlings like Golden Sky Stories, also echoing Mutant Year Zero because that's wacky grim fun even only from reading, and I both really like Blades in the Dark and Spire, neither of which I can actually wrap my head around but love to bits listening to either being played. Oh, Legacy, written by a goon if I remember correctly, is also a great read, but again...can't convince people to play non-traditional games...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Pollyanna posted:

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

Sheesh, thatīs a looney...
It was 4 and a half years playing in-person with a changing personage, we played "The Dark Eye" (Germanyīs Ersatz-DnD) in a campaign called "Drachenchroniken" or "Dragon Chronicles".
It began in 2009 and ended sometime late 2013, just after I finished university. It was an almost weekly game meeting and hating it and the game we were playing, with a bad gm and a worse campaign.
It taught me a lot about what I did and did not want as player and gm in tabletop gaming. In fact, it was so bad, that I took a 4 month break inbetween and found to have missed nothing of consequence during it was how bad it was. gently caress me, that was a bad campaign...if ever you encompass the idea of "no roleplaying is better than bad roleplaying" this was where it applied fully.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Splicer posted:

It's the gun. The gun makes you live longer, and "in view of the shooter" is a ludicrously easy condition to game. Kill someone once every 20 years and, barring accidents, the devil never gets to collect.

The ring is a cursed item. Perfect recall is not a gift.

Iīd say the gun is just as cursed. Anyone who you can kill with it was at the end of their lifespan, so no time is ever added to your clock. All it does is lead to a mass spree of killing without you ever getting any time added to your own. Itīs a trick to get the owner to kill. If people have as would be required, a pre-determined amount of lifetime, then anyone youīd kill with it always would have been at the end of theirs, because youīd be unable to choose freely in such a universe. So, congrats on choosing the trick trap option, I guess?

The watch is worse though, because it doesnīt say that it stops your own time. So you just age twice as fast as everyone else does...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

What's the plan for the weekend? I'm driving to Loch Ness. Gonna catch a monster.

Since all my other appointments fell flat,
mostly prepping what might be my final BtMoM session
and a metal/hard rock-concert on sunday to clock out the weekend xD

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Antivehicular posted:

Going to try and start writing up Invisible Sun for FATAL & Friends, now that I've got a PDF of my misprinted book and have read the whole thing.

I canīt decide whether to think "You madman!" or "You poor, unfortunate soul..".

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

I just realized and this has kinda flashed me but Escaflowne is actually a proto-Isekai genre story. WTF.

Also, I always thought that Low Fantasy and High Fantasy was sort of a split of the prevalence of magic and
fantastic elements in comparison to other genre elements. A story of a hard-boiled detective in a fantasy world
where he is looking for a murderer and wizards are downplayed for a cool noir story is low fantasy,
while the campbellian story-mythos and wizards-first! stories are more high fantasy, you know, magic
airships, giant wizard battles, magic batteries running strange necro-arch towers and the magic railways,
settings where magic is front and center.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Guilty pleasure?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
But...but Paradox-Style Grand Strategy!?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Kestral posted:

[...]
It's also worth pointing out that when Rand says it's doing things for her financial situation, that's not just about making the author more comfortable. Jenna has been repeatedly hosed over by the people she's worked for in ways that far, far exceed the normal horror stories associated with RPG freelancing, so you can feel good about supporting an author who could use a hand up.

Can you elaborate? Iīve tried my Google-Fu but didnīt really dig up anything, though I might not have looked into it too strongly.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Man, why is the TG industry such a shite-pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Antivehicular posted:

Well, none of the ones in common circulation were nebulously cursed. ... I think? It's been a while since I played FL. Obviously there were options with, say, some really troubling metaphysical implications and the like.

Hey now, the Dread Surmise only burns your hair if you follow through!